Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#145247 - 08/22/08 01:31 AM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: big_al]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Amazing. I've worked in ER's with less equipment. The Heta-starch plasma volume expander is an item that I haven't seen in use in a couple of decades, and was the preferred infusion of a guy who had been educated three decades prior to that in a faraway land. IV infusion is basically a volume game-might consider ditching the other parenteral fluids and maximizing your saline supply. An amp or two of 50% dextrose would solve hyploglycemic problems mmuch more effectively than a pint of D5W. Seems like the wide array of oral and injectable narcotics might pose a security problem, a felony possession problem, and a serious temptation to over-medicate the trauma victims ( or party-goers), suppressing their respirations and masking symptoms, complicating subsequent evaluation. I have seen this happen. Beyond the quibbles, it is all that a trauma kit can be, lacking only the tent, medical gases and suction to make it into TEOTWAWKI Memorial Hospital.

#145257 - 08/22/08 02:32 AM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: nursemike]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
Mike is right as far as the law concern. I was in too much awe to even think about that part of it. It really is amazing an amazing trauma kit. I would be concerned about scope of practice concerns being brought up as well.

#145260 - 08/22/08 02:41 AM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: epirider]
Ranter Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Epirider IS my first aid kit. laugh (In case you all haven't figured it out we've known each other a loooong time.) I'll be kind and not post a picture of him on day 4 a rough 4wheeling trip. (Little hint his wife didn't recognize him) Blast, we are a lot alike in the tendency for our adventures to result in blood loss. Make friends with a GOOD medic. Trust me on this LOL.

#145264 - 08/22/08 02:48 AM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: Ranter]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I have on more then one occasion patched up Ranter, his family, our friends and a few pets. I am not sure but other then knocking out his boss last weekend, I thing that is the only reason he keeps me around. Nothing but love for you brother.

P.S. dont even think about posting that pic....

#145332 - 08/22/08 02:01 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: NightHiker]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wow. One suggestion is a map of gear and mega double-cross index sheets.*
So others can find everything in this kit. Have a water proof sheet packed on top with the index and visual map of what's in what pocket (pouch).

Possibly add a book light and headlamp so it can be used in the dark.

Teacher

( *list items both by common name AND under a listing of uses. eg

WOUND CLEANING

Irrigation syringe
et.

etc.

and alphabetically.)

#145348 - 08/22/08 03:29 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: TeacherRO]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Hey paragon, nice to see you here.

Amazing kit you have!

#145373 - 08/22/08 05:49 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: JIM]
olateone Offline
Stranger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Nice kit.

Just wondering....after you intubate your patient, where is your oxygen hook-up....aka oxygen tank/cylinder.

Also, I want you near me when the SHTF.

olateone.....never early.

#145579 - 08/24/08 01:04 AM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: NightHiker]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

Paragon:

Those are great little sectioned boxes you keep your meds in. Pills in tiny zip-locks are fine, but slippery. I like the idea of one go-to box to keep things organized. Source please?

How much of your stuff came with the original kit(s) and how much did you add to it to customize?

Good ideas for those of us with more modest aspirations.

#145584 - 08/24/08 01:42 AM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: DFW]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: DFW
I like the idea of one go-to box to keep things organized. Source please?

I picked up several of those last Fall at Walmart (in the trial/travel size aisle) for a couple of bucks each. The manufacturer is "iGo" although I haven't been able to find anything online, even using the UPC barcode information from the label. You might try your local Walmart to see if they still have any left, but other than that I don't know what to suggest. I'd still really like to find a red one, so if you find any, grab an extra for me.

Quote:
How much of your stuff came with the original kit(s) and how much did you add to it to customize?

Other than the obvious sub-kits (Sawyer Extractor kit, Eldon Blood Typing Kit, Field ENT kit, etc.) the FAK was assembled from scratch using individual components.

Jim

#145808 - 08/25/08 04:09 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: Paragon]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Paragon, this is a ridiculous exercise in equipment masturbation. A simple example: people with modern training on the use of manufactured tourniquets know that you pick 1 design and stick with it until you change your mind to another design, then standardize your kits on that. When the crap hits the fan you do not want to deal with 3 different TQs.

I am not a doctor or PA but some of my associates who are have looked at your selection & amounts of meds then pointed out glaring contradictions. You are revealing a staggering lack of training and oversight.

Does the DEA know about your controlled meds? If your profile is accurate regarding your profession and location then you have a Federal problem. This is a public forum so you had better clear this stuff out fast so that the Google cache of it gets cleared out in a reasonable time.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.