Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#146057 - 08/26/08 10:29 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: benjammin]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I got a Gransfors Bruks axe recently, it's nice. It's the small one, not the TINY one. Works good, high quality steel, and made VERY VERY NICE. It can slice paper, I have a video someplace smile

I also got the $12 Cold Steel Kukri Machete to compare and it actually chops faster than the axe. However the quality is what you'd expect for $12 and the grip is NOT comfortable... but it's a nice tool too, and I think in the future I`ll get a much higher quality chopper to use around the property as it cuts a lot easier (branches and brush) than an axe.

Each work good and serve a purpose.

#146058 - 08/26/08 10:29 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I have this hatchet; it’s at least 60 to 70-years old. My dad played with it when he was a kid (he’s 80) I don’t use it much as I have other things that have more weight and chop wood better. But it will chop wood OK it just doesn’t cut as big a path per hit.

I really don’t know much about it or if it’s made for a weapon or just chopping wood. I would think just wood? Those of you that know or have interest in the history of hatchets, what does it look like this thing was made to do?

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#146059 - 08/26/08 10:30 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: Matt_Miller]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Probably 20 or more years ago I read an article in a magazine, possibly "Survival," that showed a guy with a small hatchet that he carried in a custom made sheath. He was right handed, the hatchet was in his right kidney area, head at belt level, edge to the rear, handle up. Yes, up. The sheath was constructed in such a way that he could reach back with his right hand, unsnap a snap, and have the hatchet in his hand. He could sit without the handle hitting on anything, and there was no flopping around on the belt, something I really really dislike. I have searched high and low for a similar sheath, with no luck. I even experimented with making one myself, but could not get it to work right. I still try from time to time. One of these days...

#146060 - 08/26/08 10:31 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: comms]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Axe in the back of the Car or when I am using a wood stove (for splitting), Hatchet in the field if it is needed. Its alot of weight if you don't require split wood.
boreal.net

#146072 - 08/26/08 11:12 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: BobS]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: BobS
I have this hatchet; it’s at least 60 to 70-years old. . . . Those of you that know or have interest in the history of hatchets, what does it look like this thing was made to do?

I won't claim to know much about hatchets, but the shape/style of the blade and head, and the straight handle remind me of some of the hatchets and axes I have seen in Eastern Europe; some sort of traditional style. The ones I saw were in use in the forest and for cutting wood for fires.

Is it possible it was brought over by some distant relative?

#146074 - 08/26/08 11:29 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The 'Eastern Woodland' culture utilised various ground and polished stone mauls,warclubs and small slate hatchets. They were somtimes known, and shown in early post Columbus documents carried in waist sashes. When the irontrade entered the americas, The now well known fighting weapon and light utility tool known as the tomahawk came into use. It is a direct descendant of the european belt axe.The heads came in simple polls, spikes, smoking bowls.

#146090 - 08/27/08 02:14 AM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Air_Pirate Offline
It looked easier on TV!
Journeyman

Loc: Memphis, TN
I have a Gerber Sport Axe and IMO is one of the best pieces of outdoor gear I own. I'm not against the idea of a "true" tomahawk but it just seems to me that the modern composite handled hatchets and axes would last longer, and run a little lighter in the weight category. Just my view on the subject.

#146104 - 08/27/08 06:34 AM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: Air_Pirate]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

With the time provenance I would email Ragnar @ www.ragweedforge.com and ask for some referals. His website gives a nice short discussion of hawks too.
The now defunct importers of the infamous Spetsnaz survival tool also imported russian axes. Ragnar advised me they were terribly overpriced and of indifferent quality.
This photo is definitely an older hawk.
There are no end of traditional and offbeat cutting tools.It falls into the 'wowee' category and eventually people actually try to use them with various results. And then Lynn Thompson of CS makes a version missing key native design genius details.

#146116 - 08/27/08 12:45 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: NightHiker]
Matt_Miller Offline
low speed/high drag
Stranger

Loc: Two Harbors, MN
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
FWIW, that's also my BOB configuration.

Do you find that having the admin pouch on the front sort of tilts the bag away when it's over your shoulder because it's made the bag "thicker" (for want of a better description)? The pouch I have on the front is Maxpedition Monkey Admin pouch and it's made it a bit more cumbersome to carry because it sort of throws the balance of the bag out of whack. Meaning I probably just have that particular pouch overloaded.

I know of a couple of sources for kydex sheaths and thought about ordering one. That means either moving the 'hawk to my belt or getting rid of the pouch on the front of the bag and replacing it with the sheath (not room for both on the bag's front).

Thanks for the ideas/replies from everyone, it's all good food for thought.

#146750 - 08/31/08 01:32 AM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: NightHiker]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

I carry the VTAK hawk whenever in the forest. Great tool and self defense weapon.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.