Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#145999 - 08/26/08 02:07 PM Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly?
Matt_Miller Offline
low speed/high drag
Stranger

Loc: Two Harbors, MN
And if so, how do you carry it?

A bit of background: my job in the summer is primarily outdoors, and I carry a combination BOB/work bag that has enough stuff in it to stay a night fairly comfortably if need be and also a few things I use pretty regularly for work, like a compass, etc. I've also been carrying a Cold Steel Rifleman's 'hawk because it does come in handy, but I haven't found a satisfactory way of carrying it.

The bag is a County Comm "claymore" bag that is shoulder slung, and has a smaller "admin" type pouch malice clipped to the face of it. When I do carry my tomahawk, I've been just shoving the handle down between the outside pouch and main bag between the clips, but that's not really a great solution. The blade is exposed and the lower blade point rubs and is starting to wear on the bag.

I guess I'm just hunting for opinions...if you carry one regularly, how do you do it? Do you not carry one regularly because you used to but it became more of a pain than it was worth? Did you start packing an alternative instead? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#146004 - 08/26/08 03:18 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: Matt_Miller]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Nope.

I have a hatchet and a saw in my BOB, but I don't carry them around with me everywhere I go. I couldn't even if I wanted to. I work for the Postal Service. I'll lose my job for even having a multitool, because it has a small knife on it.

#146009 - 08/26/08 03:48 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

If you look on the right side of this page you will see a tomahawk with a sheath on the head, you might try PMing "Askdamice" and have him make you a sheath. by the way I carry a small hatchet in my pack with a sheath and so far I have had no problems.

#146012 - 08/26/08 04:26 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: Matt_Miller]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I carry small hatchet (and a khukri) on my ALICE pack, clipped onto the sides. The hatchet rides in a USGI canvas sheath.

When the canvas wears out, I'll make a leather replacement and use the metal clip off of the canvas one as well as provide belt loops. That's a project that I have to do for the kukri now.

#146016 - 08/26/08 04:56 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: NightHiker]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Tomahawks are a descendant of the BELT axe.

#146024 - 08/26/08 05:32 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Tomahawks are a descendant of the BELT axe.

...and were developed because the Native Americans did not wear belts...

#146034 - 08/26/08 06:38 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
What spike? A traditional tomahawk was a gen purp survival tool You could fight with it, build a campsite with it, dress game, etc. Spiked tomahawks weren't so common, though you will find them here and there. They were more of a special purpose deal.

When I am hunting, I will often carry a S&W hatchet/knife combo. It is not the highest quality, but it works, and works well for me. I used it to field dress an elk, and I keep the edges on both very sharp. The hatchet will dress pole ends quite effectively. I wouldn't use it to go cutting up old growth windfalls for firewood, but it'd sure help trimming lodgepoles and such. It is fantastic for kindling.

Other times, I might carry a small wooden handled hatchet along with an axe if I am doing timber patrol.

#146036 - 08/26/08 06:52 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: benjammin]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have friends in Iraq and Afghanistan who do or have carried tomahawks. There is a leather holster that the 'hawk can fit into. Now whether those came with the item or aftermarket I can not say. I have seen photos of them on their person and they are not an item conducive to flush, comfortable movement when on the body.

Not my opinion on their operational value just my observation of carrying it on a persons body.

#146039 - 08/26/08 06:58 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Most combat vets with any experience using tomahawks would recommend not having a spike on the back. It is a danger wielding it for the user. Better would be a hammer face on the back, or preferably a peace pipe, though they make less durable fighting tools.

#146055 - 08/26/08 10:25 PM Re: Do you carry a hatchet/tomahawk regularly? [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Cold Steel makes several "'hawks," some with spikes, most without...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.