aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
Thanks again gents.

#145516 - 08/23/08 12:19 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Brangdon]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
To get at that water in an urban environment, a silcock wrench/key could come in handy...

#145529 - 08/23/08 02:06 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

After giving this a thought here's my 2¢.....
First I'd go with a blend in/stand out look. Try to look like a tourist, that way you probably will reduce your chances of being approached. For this I suggest a digital camera, portable "walkman" type radio, sunglasses (get a good "sporty" looking pair of safety glasses. UVA/UVB protection as well as protection from debris), touristy looking clothes appropiate for the weather and a fanny pack that has twin bottle holders outside the main compartment.
You now have blending in, keeping in touch with news, eye protection and water issues taken care of. In your fanny pack I'd pack good maps of the area, a rain poncho, good multi-tool, flash light with some spare lithium batteries, some energy bars, spork and the DRPSK along with a small FAK and a dust mask. Grab a p-38 can opener if your multi-tool doesn't have a means of opening cans.
You now have protection form the elements, basic simple first aid, basic tool needs, illumination in case of power failure, navigation (know where your going and all alternative routes as needed), energy replenishment (food) as well as means to aquire and eat more (spork and can opener).
A cell phone to maintain contact with loved ones and spare cash on hand and I think you should be set.

-Bill Liptak

#145534 - 08/23/08 02:30 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: BillLiptak]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Instead of a can opener, I would suggest EMT shears, as they can do a lot more then just cit bandages. I have opened cans of beans with them, and done sooo much more.

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#145582 - 08/24/08 01:10 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: climberslacker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I have never heard of cutting a of anything open with EMT shears. I am sure it can be done, but I'll bet a P-38 will do it faster and easier, with less metal flakes in the meal to boot...

#145586 - 08/24/08 01:57 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

If you want to blend head down to your local Wally World, Sears, K-mart and head for the men's section. Find the Dickies and Carheart work clothes. Get a few pairs of cotton/poly slacks, about $17 each, and work shirts, about $12 ea, in whatever colors and sorts are popular in your locality. Trot over to the shoes section and pick up a pair of 8" tan work boots for around $50. This works for both men and women.

Wearing these you go a long way toward lowering your profile. You look like millions of other blue collar and no-collar workers. This is the base uniform for a lot of people. With a few props people will look past you and automatically fill in the blanks in the roll they assign you using the accessories you have selected.

With a mop and rolling bucket, or a push broom and a rag and spray bottle hanging off of a pocket, your a janitor. With a hard hat, a leather tool belt, tape measure and hammer over your shoulder and your a construction worker heading home. A hardhat, orange vest and clipboard and your on a site survey crew or a low-level boss on a construction crew.

These sorts of clothes aren't just a good way to blend in and not attract attention. They are tough, inexpensive and practical survival clothing.

A pack looks a little odd with this sort of rig but a duffel type athletic bag with a shoulder strap looks right. A duffel also allows easy access without having to set it down.

#145587 - 08/24/08 01:58 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: aligator]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Aligator:
in addition to what others have suggested I think I would add one of those 4 way keys that turn on water bibs on the outside of the buildings, so you could replentish your water.

sorry OBG didn't read your post crazy

Edited by big_al (08/24/08 02:48 AM)

#145595 - 08/24/08 03:24 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: big_al]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...sorry OBG didn't read your post..."

You are forgiven...

#145619 - 08/24/08 01:00 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Art_in_FL]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
On the subject of cheap bending in type oc clothing, get a set of coveralls. They type mechanics wear. They are very inexpensive, they are one peice, lots of pockets, light weigt and they can be worn OVER your clothing, thus not raising eyebrows in a situation when co-workers come to tell you that there is a situation and find you naked in a closet. Never been in that situation, never plan to be :o)

#145621 - 08/24/08 01:05 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: epirider]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...They are very inexpensive..."

Actually, good ones are a little pricey. But most auto parts stores sell used coveralls, in very good condition, for 'bout $10 a set. Some still have logo's and/or name tapes on them, which might or might not come in handy with the blend in thing...

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.