Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#14586 - 03/30/03 09:19 PM emergency blanket uses
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was wondering if these are fire proof?
I prefer wool blanket's myself.
But thought if these are fire proof and reflect 90% of heat, they would make an excellent addition to a diaster kit.

any thoughts?

#14587 - 03/30/03 09:54 PM Re: emergency blanket uses
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
definitely not fire proof; they are plastic. However, using one to set up a heat reflector shouldn't be a problem as long as it's not too close to the source of heat

#14588 - 03/31/03 02:27 PM Re: emergency blanket uses
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

depends on what kind of kit, it you only have little space go for the survival blankets, the mylar ( alumunium and plastic ) ones ( the silver or gold colored ones) , preferbaly the bag type. Wool blankets are good for bigger kits, but wenn wet they arent the greatest choice.
A sportman towel could also be a good blanket...

#14589 - 04/01/03 05:41 PM Re: emergency blanket uses
Anonymous
Unregistered

The space-type emergency blankets are basically metallized plastic - and they WILL melt and/or catch fire if exposed to open flames. A more robust version of this is what wildland firefighters carry as their "fire shelter" of last resort, more commonly known as a "shake 'n bake." Those can stand hours of radiant heat, but only a few minutes of direct heat.
The "sportsman's blankets," which usually have some kind of ripstop nylon cloth backing, are a better choice if you want durability and versatility.
And there have been extensive discussions both on the Survival Forum and in ETS about the fact that the space blankets do little more than act as a wind or water barrier - they are not going to get you all toasty warm on a bitterly-cold night.

#14590 - 04/02/03 12:18 AM Re: emergency blanket uses
Anonymous
Unregistered

The neatest use for space blankets that I've seen is in what Mors Kochanski calls a Super Shelter.A combination of space blanket, clear poly , uncoated nylon and natural materials.Natural material form the frame and platform,clear poly covers the frame and the one side that slopes toward you. Nylon is for a breathable door and the space blanket pinned inside on the ceiling as a fire refector. Think combination green house refector oven with the fire taking the place of the sun.

#14591 - 04/02/03 09:43 AM Re: emergency blanket uses
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cheers Fella's
I'll keep looking for a emergency and fire blanket, or might just just get a big bit of nomex, which should work.
If the Space Blankets are regarded as nothing but a wind break, what is a compact alternative?

#14592 - 04/02/03 01:22 PM Re: emergency blanket uses
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

well the space blanket give's THE best insulation to volume/weight ratio so i wouldnt throw them away...

#14593 - 04/02/03 02:03 PM Re: emergency blanket uses
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I think the space blankets have their place in any kit. They just aren't terribly compact if you want to include one in a small survival kit. I have three - one in the car under the seat, one in the first aid kit in the trunk (expedient shock blanket), and one in the house.

#14594 - 04/02/03 03:08 PM Re: emergency blanket uses
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Don't forget thier visual appearance.Being very shiney they can be seen from the air by planes and helos.I've heard they can even be used as radar reflectors.The shiney factor is a minus for some military types and special ones are made all olive drab.

#14595 - 04/02/03 03:23 PM Re: emergency blanket uses
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Personally, I feel "space/emergency" blankets do have a place in your emergency "kit/supplies". We use them on actual rescues often, mainly as an outer vapor/wind barrier. When encountering environmental situations which might lead to a potential hypothermia condition, let us exam some of the causes, preventions and treatments, to see if these blankets have a place in your kit, before we discard them as minimally useful. It is a misnomer that hypothermia occurs only in cold weather conditions. In fact hypothermia occurs when the body is unable to maintain a viable core temperature. Environmental conditions, which are cool and wet, are often encountered in the springtime. A rainy, cool (50-60 degree F) day is perfect weather for the development of hypothermia. When one's clothing becomes damp from perspiration or wet from rain, falling in water, etc., unless they are made from wool or synthetics like polypropylene/fleece they will lose their insulating properties, that is why many of us frown upon cotton clothing. If there is any breeze or wind, heat loss from evaporation and convection will be increased greatly. Sitting on the cool/cold ground or rock will conduct heat away from the body. Little to no energy from the body's energy reserve will also play a factor in the development of hypothermia. So are these blankets of any use? Yes, as indicated they can provide for little weight a valuable vapor barrier and wind block. When combined with an external heat source (heat packs, warmed rocks, warm body, etc.), dry clothing and other insulative items (coats, blankets, etc.), will trap warmed air, resulting in the reduction of body heat loss. Set up a tarp, poncho or body wrap can block rain and wind. They can also be used to collect rain water, cut into smaller sections for occlusive dressings, cut and folded into strips, as a substitute for cravats, trail markers, etc. For the money and weight, I feel they are a definite addition to one's supplies, as long as you understand their uses and limitations. Pete

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.