Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#145856 - 08/25/08 06:53 PM Re: Opinions on my kit [Re: ]
terry13111 Offline

Originally Posted By: sockpuppet
Quote:
I sometimes end up 5-6 miles of the road while tracking deer

It sure is easy to get turned around when tracking these suckers aint it?. I almost got totally lost more than once tracking just before dark, especially after taking a shot and trying to blood trail. As a fellow hunter I can say that your kit looks good. Personally I would pack the items in a small light weight metal mess tin rather thn the rubbermaid so you could brew up if needed. As well, it's nice a bit of snarewire on hand for a whole bunch of stuff.

When you hunt, you need to go in light,some people just don't understand that you will be pulling hundreds of pounds of meat out of the woods(with luck) and every pound counts. Some guys I know pack so much crap in their packs that when they do get a deer they need to leave the pack behind in order to get the meat out. Bloody stupid thing to do.

The less gear you carry, the more knowledge you carry.

Glad to hear from another hunter! I chose rubbermaid because its quiet and the size was perfect for what i needed. I thought about snarewire, but my kit can't hold another item. Thanks though.

#145867 - 08/25/08 07:13 PM Re: Opinions on my kit [Re: big_al]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
I have also magnesium firestarter (but I donīt use it at all, I have casted it aside). But there was a warning that you should not shave the magnesium in advance and carry it like that. I guess the warning is there for a reason but I donīt know what exactly would be the problem.

As for the Spark-lite I donīt trust it at all - but thatīs just my experience and personal opinion. Anyway you have a backup. See my review on EDC forums http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=17216.0 (my nickname there is "vfx", "raptor" had been already taken).

I would also add some small candle to your kit.

#145871 - 08/25/08 07:18 PM Re: Opinions on my kit [Re: terry13111]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

" so one As far as the 32oz. nalgene over the 16, the Potable aqua pill bottle says two tablets per quart. 16oz. is 1/2 a quartpill should do it. Am I wrong?"

No, I frogot some require 2 pills per quart, I use the type that only require 1 smile

#145895 - 08/25/08 09:20 PM Re: Opinions on my kit [Re: raptor]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: raptor
But there was a warning that you should not shave the magnesium in advance and carry it like that. I guess the warning is there for a reason but I donīt know what exactly would be the problem.

Because it's not flammable as long as it's in bar form. If you have a bag of magnesium shavings and somehow it gets ignited, nothing is going to stop it from burning.

#145904 - 08/25/08 09:56 PM Re: Opinions on my kit [Re: terry13111]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Swap the razor for a SAK or multitool. If you take the SAK, a small pair of needle nose pliers is a great thing to add, particularly if they have GOOD wire cutters. You can find barbed wire in the darndest places.

Bigger water bottle, maybe even a pair. I really have come to like having a Gouyet stainless steel bottle in my gear, just as much as I like have a GSI/Olicamp cup on the bottom of my lexan bottle(s).

+1 on the dental floss. It's tiny and darn useful.

I know people like their Fenix's, but a headlamp is so freaking useful. A year ago, I would have said "well, their OK", then I got a good one. It's been in my EDC since the new year. :P

And the reason some people don't suggest pre-shaving the magnesium is that it will oxidize. IIRC, the oxidization reaction is largely self limiting, so it is only the surface, but a spark or even a match won't light it at that point.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#145918 - 08/25/08 11:24 PM Re: Opinions on my kit [Re: ironraven]
Matt Offline

Loc: Texas
As mentioned in an earlier post, Best Glide has some neat tins for storing equipment. Another site you may consider is bepreparedtosurvive.com. They have lots of interesting items and storage containers of various sorts that might be of interest.

An additional storage container for treating water might be something to add to you small kit. A large oven bag for roasting a turkey packs down really small. If you cut it in half it'll compress to the size of a condom, but much more durable. You can pre-measure it and mark it with a Sharpie for convenience.

#145923 - 08/25/08 11:57 PM Re: Opinions on my kit [Re: ironraven]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: ironraven
And the reason some people don't suggest pre-shaving the magnesium is that it will oxidize. IIRC, the oxidization reaction is largely self limiting, so it is only the surface, but a spark or even a match won't light it at that point.

Never thought about this. My pill storage container has an o-ring seal, I wonder if this will prevent the oxidation?

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#145924 - 08/26/08 12:02 AM Re: Opinions on my kit [Re: BobS]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Doubt it. Probably plenty of air in the container.

-john

Edited by JohnN (08/26/08 12:03 AM)

#145926 - 08/26/08 12:18 AM Re: Opinions on my kit [Re: JohnN]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I’m going to leave the shavings in it all winter long, have to see what it looks like this spring.

#145932 - 08/26/08 12:41 AM Re: Opinions on my kit [Re: BobS]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Just fill the container with an inert gas.....

:-)

-john

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 346 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.