Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#145738 - 08/24/08 11:58 PM Re: Pet meds for humans? [Re: ironraven]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I am not recommending this to anyone else, but

I used clorohexiderm that I got for one of my dog's injuries until it was gone to clean minor cuts and scrapes.

#145741 - 08/25/08 12:11 AM Re: Pet meds for humans? [Re: red]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: red
the prescriber may not say "yes."

It sounds like you're arguing with yourself there. The whole point of this thread is that these medications aren't just given out to anyone who asks for them.

Are you aware that M.D.'s, with all their expertise and access to advanced labs, etc. sometimes have to try another antibiotic because the first one failed? That should give you pause to think.

Are you aware that I'm talking about emergency use? That means I would only consider taking these meds if I was already in deep sh-t. I'm not asking you to take them, so chill out.

#145779 - 08/25/08 12:40 PM Re: Pet meds for humans? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

Bag Balm

#145791 - 08/25/08 01:49 PM Re: Pet meds for humans? [Re: ironraven]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: ironraven
But honestly, when I took my first look at Paragon's STOMP, my first thought was that he'd gone through a farm supply place for quite a bit of it. (Right, wrong, doesn't really matter- still a damn good kit.)

Nope, no Farm & Fleet or online pharmacies involved. The Levofloxacin (Levaquin) 500 mg were samples that my physcian gave to me during an office visit while the Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) 500 mg was a $4.00 prescription that I filled at Walmart (he did not have any Cipro samples on hand at the time).

Jim

#145795 - 08/25/08 02:14 PM Re: Pet meds for humans? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
I remember Amoxicillin. The doctor once prescribed it to my son.

This is one of those topics where I feel very torn. Although not manufactured and formulated the same as antibiotics for humans, pet antibiotics do have the same active ingredients and in an emergency, might be lifesaving.

On the other hand, I fear that any sort of approval by me or other members may lead some people reading these comments to take these antibiotics whenever they feel like it and to use them inappropriately. I'm not saying that you will, CityBoyGoneCountry, but someone else may also think, "Gee, the doc gave me X last year for Y symptoms. My wife is having those same symptoms...maybe I'll just give her some of X pills from the pet store so she doesn't have to go through the hassle of taking time off from work to go to the doctor." That kind of self-diagnosis and self-medication can lead to all kinds of trouble--both to the individual, but also to the greater public at large.

Individual harm can come from obvious problems like a totally incorrect diagnosis of the problem even though you think you're treating something, using the wrong antibiotic that has no effect on your infection, bad side effects from the wrong dosage, possibly life threatening allergic reactions, etc. At the community level, things like the spread of antibiotic resistant bugs from misuse of antibiotics is a large and ever-present challenge to all healthcare providers.

Antibiotics in particular, really need to be used only in appropriate cases and taken with care. We don't have the luxury of prescribing them as liberally as in the past. The drug companies aren't cranking out new classes of antibiotics fast enough to keep up with the ever-increasing antibiotic-resistant strains. It's possible that we will enter a new age, within our lifetimes, where fear of dying from infections is again something commonplace. We occasionally got a taste of that fear from time to time, for example when HIV/AIDS first made headlines, during the anthrax attacks, or during the latest avian flu scare. Imagine that kind of fear all of the time.

#145798 - 08/25/08 02:32 PM Re: Pet meds for humans? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
the prescriber may not say "yes."

It sounds like you're arguing with yourself there. The whole point of this thread is that these medications aren't just given out to anyone who asks for them.

Are you aware that M.D.'s, with all their expertise and access to advanced labs, etc. sometimes have to try another antibiotic because the first one failed? That should give you pause to think.

Are you aware that I'm talking about emergency use? That means I would only consider taking these meds if I was already in deep sh-t. I'm not asking you to take them, so chill out.

Cityboy- I'm surprised you didn't mention my tip on getting the meds from the 'net. If the whole point of the thread is how difficult it is to acquire these meds, why not go the easiest route?

Not arguing with myself at all. Just trying to give you a helpful tip in acquiring the antibiotic. Would you rather me say that he'll give you them no matter what?

Yes, I'm aware you are talking about emergency use. I would *really* be concerned about you using them routinely.

I'm more concerned with your possible lack of knowledge in their use...and your naivete in the consequences of their misuse.

#145842 - 08/25/08 06:14 PM Re: Pet meds for humans? [Re: Arney]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
Well said Arney and I fully agree with you. MRSA is a very real threat in just about any hospital these days.

#145843 - 08/25/08 06:17 PM Re: Pet meds for humans? [Re: Arney]
red Offline

Well stated!

#145906 - 08/25/08 10:04 PM Re: Pet meds for humans? [Re: Paragon]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Actually, I was thinking parts of your IV set, the hypodermics and your suture kits.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#145907 - 08/25/08 10:07 PM Re: Pet meds for humans? [Re: NightHiker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Thanks Nighthiker! I put permetherin on my boots for anti-tick, I'll look for this at my local feed stores.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.