The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#145632 - 08/24/08 02:32 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I would probably not spend money on a good set if they are going in a pack (hopefully never to be used). I was thinking Goodwill or used clothing place of some sort. As far as the name, long as it was gender appropriate I thing it would have little impact.

#145680 - 08/24/08 07:37 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: epirider]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Actually, I was thinking more of the logo thing. "Joe's Garage" might make the wearer look like mister common man, rather than the computer programmer trying to pass thru un-noticed...

#145752 - 08/25/08 01:07 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: epirider]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: epirider
On the subject of cheap bending in type oc clothing, get a set of coveralls. They type mechanics wear. They are very inexpensive, they are one peice, lots of pockets, light weigt and they can be worn OVER your clothing, thus not raising eyebrows in a situation when co-workers come to tell you that there is a situation and find you naked in a closet. Never been in that situation, never plan to be :o)

That isn't a bad idea. But it might work better in cooler climates. Nine months out of the year wearing even light coveralls over much more than underwear in Florida and your going to stand out because your the person sweating like a junkie looking for a fix.

Which is doubly bad because you stand out and both your coveralls and clothes underneath are soaked in sweat. A bad start to a bad situation.

#145817 - 08/25/08 04:44 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Art_in_FL]
Matt Offline

Loc: Texas
I know the conversations has moved more to blending in and clothing more than equipment, but I dug out my Preparedness Now! book for the list of items. Some items have already been mentioned in the posts, but I'll go ahead and mention what he lists in the book.

emergency kit (E-Kit)
Multi-tool
Flashlight
first-aid kit and pouch
N95 respirator or Xcaper civilian smake mask
lighter
Mini-pry bar or 4-way hatchet tool
Civilian lab pouch (civilianlab.com)
Pockets or EMT tool pouch
whistle
EMT shears
waterproof matches
cord

There are more specific items listed but generally speaking this is what he suggests as EDC.

#145825 - 08/25/08 05:20 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Matt]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
How big is the suggested ""Mini-pry bar"? It seems I've seen variants from 3" long to 12" long?

#145888 - 08/25/08 09:07 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Air_Pirate Offline
It looked easier on TV!
Journeyman

Loc: Memphis, TN
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Actually, I was thinking more of the logo thing. "Joe's Garage" might make the wearer look like mister common man, rather than the computer programmer trying to pass thru un-noticed...

I'm not saying the "Joe's Garage" logo wouldn't be a bad idea, but what is really the difference between a computer programmer trying to pass thru unnoticed, and a mechanic trying to do the same thing?

#145892 - 08/25/08 09:17 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Yuccahead]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Yuccahead
How big is the suggested ""Mini-pry bar"? It seems I've seen variants from 3" long to 12" long?

If you can find a pry bar that fits within the confines of an E&E kit, which I'm thinking is a little bigger them a PSK, that is worth carrying, great. I don't know, but most of the mini bars i've seen, mini Stanly bar etc, dont seem sturdy enough. A 4" x1"x 1/4" bar is bomb proof, but how much leverage can you get on it? What are you going to pry with it? I've taken to carrying my Strider tanto that I got as a rescue knife when I worked EMS, not a great cutter, but a sharpened pry bar that might work until I can access something bigger. My other knives cut things.

Regards, Jim

#145893 - 08/25/08 09:18 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Air_Pirate]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
What about a cable company type of logo. A utility service worker would fit better then OJ’s glove did.

#145900 - 08/25/08 09:43 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: aligator]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: aligator
Originally Posted By: Yuccahead

If you can find a pry bar that fits within the confines of an E&E kit, which I'm thinking is a little bigger them a PSK, that is worth carrying, great. I don't know, but most of the mini bars i've seen, mini Stanly bar etc, dont seem sturdy enough. A 4" x1"x 1/4" bar is bomb proof, but how much leverage can you get on it? What are you going to pry with it?

Not sure exactly how big mine is -- maybe 8" or so, but seems like a good compromise:

[my urban edc kit]

#145905 - 08/25/08 10:01 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Susan]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Susan

I drive from Centralia, WA to Seattle (85 mi) or down to Portland, OR (95 mi) regularly, and as driving entertainment, I think about what I would do if a large earthquake hit.

That's funny. I work downtown Seattle, and that is my primary planning scenario. :-)

Quote:
If I were in Seattle when the same quake hit, I'm afraid that I would be SOL for seeing home soon. It would probably take me at least ten days to get there, or even more if I had to do much backtracking. And youbetcha, it would have to be on foot. Downed overpasses, abandoned vehicles, tons of fallen debris... yuck!

Indeed. The windstorm of 2006 gave a good preview of how transportation really gets honked up when you throw in a little debris. I had to traverse the east side that day and while it is a bit less urban there, it was still a mess. The 520 bridge was closed, but I had no way to know. News was... well, less than helpful. I ended up traversing a bunch of places I wasn't familiar with. The GPS was very helpful. And the kicker is.. just a *little* bit worse and it would have gotten real interesting... As it stood, I could still *drive* (with some backtracking and routing around).

[out and about in Bellevue]

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.