Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#145755 - 08/25/08 01:16 AM Re: How do I deal with sharks when going overboard [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Cats that fell off boats?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#145760 - 08/25/08 01:53 AM Re: How do I deal with sharks when going overboard [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
Jellyfish?

#145761 - 08/25/08 02:04 AM Re: How do I deal with sharks when going overboard? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Originally Posted By: survivalperson
I'm taking a three hour boat ride

That's what Gilligan thought too.

So, would you bring along Mary Ann or Ginger?

#145762 - 08/25/08 02:06 AM Re: How do I deal with sharks when going overboard [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
Anyone care to guess waht ocean creature kills more people per year? And no, it's not recreational boaters.

The fearful and mighty Herring.

Must be Creamed Herring. Slow death by high cholesterol? grin

#145765 - 08/25/08 02:42 AM Re: How do I deal with sharks when going overboard? [Re: Fitzoid]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Fitzoid
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Originally Posted By: survivalperson
I'm taking a three hour boat ride

That's what Gilligan thought too.

So, would you bring along Mary Ann or Ginger?

Mary Ann, definitely.

#145773 - 08/25/08 07:23 AM Re: How do I deal with sharks when going overboard? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Actually the mythbusters did a show on sharks. One thing they tested was moving verses staying still. This came from reports from survivors of the Indianapolis. With an interview with one of the survivors. They put Tory and and Grant in shark suits. One thrashed about the other stayed still. Then they reversed roles. As reported by the Indianapolis survivor staying still appeared to be the wiser decision. The sharks tended to go for the movement.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#145775 - 08/25/08 09:37 AM Re: How do I deal with sharks when going overboard? [Re: Raspy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Don't bleed.

#145793 - 08/25/08 02:03 PM Re: How do I deal with sharks when going overboard? [Re: MDinana]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Fend off a shark from the worst case scenario handbook.

Jim

#145796 - 08/25/08 02:17 PM Re: How do I deal with sharks when going overboard? [Re: MDinana]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Well, according to the video I have posted above playing dead or splashing violently is not a good idea. They advise going for the eyes - well maybe it can have some effect but to me it sounds like last resort action. I wouldn´t count on it.

But other videos below how to survive attack of various animals (bear, gorilla, ...) are quite informative - check them out.

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh

Here is trick a diver devised that goes strangely ignored. What is the one creature sharks don't mess with smaller than they are? It is the sea snake. And what does a sea snake look like? It is black and white banded. This diver painted his wetsuit with white bands and reported every shark within visual range sudenly broke off when he appeared.

Very interesting trick.

#145802 - 08/25/08 02:59 PM Re: How do I deal with sharks when going overboard? [Re: Raspy]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Originally Posted By: Raspy
Actually the mythbusters did a show on sharks. One thing they tested was moving verses staying still. This came from reports from survivors of the Indianapolis. With an interview with one of the survivors. They put Tory and and Grant in shark suits. One thrashed about the other stayed still. Then they reversed roles. As reported by the Indianapolis survivor staying still appeared to be the wiser decision. The sharks tended to go for the movement.

The show I saw was not Mythbusters. I believe it was a segment done by a common anti-hero of this forum, Les Stroud, called Surviving Sharks. I can't find the video online but the link to the episode guides for the 2 shows is below. Stroud's segment was the one that used mechanical dummies (shown in the slide show) surrounded by chum to test their reaction to sharks. I think the reason I remember it is because the result ran contrary to accepted wisdom. The show did imply that staying in groups was better.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/sharkweek/episode-guide/episode-guide.html

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.