The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#145601 - 08/24/08 07:21 AM Indefinite survival on the water
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I may be living on a sailboat in the near future. At first much of the time will probably be in a berth working to get the boat ready to cruise for weekends, and then longer periods. Eventually I hope to spend most of my time cruising and "gunk-holing" anchored here and there outside for-pay commercial marinas and anchorages.

Solar power and cooking will be available some of the time. Maybe wind power can generate some electricity some of the time. Fishing and crabbing can supply some food.

What other kinds of things can be done to be able to survive indefinitely on the water?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

#145605 - 08/24/08 08:17 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
#1 problem: kKeeping potable water onboard is going to be your biggest never-ending problem because of the cost (approx $10K) for a watermaker. Know where you can get water for free other than at marinas when you get fuel.

#2 problem: Sewage disposal. You can sail more than either 3 or 12 miles offshore and pump your sewage overboard. Check the federal CFR's for the exact distance.

#3 problem: If your boat is greater than 26ft, you come under certain federal recreational boating requirements. Garbage placard, garbage instruction posted, FCC license requirement-posted, flares, etc. I can IM that info to you after I get back home or contact your local USCG Auxiliary for a courtesy boat inspection.

Besides your log book, keep a notebook of free watering locations, and other locations/facilities where you can be safely anchored (out of the way of commercial traffic) or even to moor overnight without charge. Marinas that have laundry facilities, courtesy cars, wifi access, etc. Make notes about which boat launch ramps have dumpsters to dump your garbage. (always log when, where, and how much garbage that you dump)

Mark your charts with the call signs and vfm-fm channels needed for bridges, locks, and marinas that you make use of. Use a green highlighter to color those areas that are too shallow for your boat to safely enter. If your boat draws 4 ft of water, color every charted depth that is less than 8 ft in depth.

#145607 - 08/24/08 08:26 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One other item,

Be able to close up and lock your hatches, all of the hatches and doors.

Have a 1/4" chain/strong padlock available to chain/lock your small boat when you go ashore. Have any/all outboard motors padlocked to the transom(s).

#145615 - 08/24/08 12:24 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
solar water distiller

why not to use solar distillers

Is there a potential business in sailing skills training, or sail boat sales, or guided sail boat tours that would work with your boat and your skill set? There are folks selling services as vision quest guides; your experiences over the past few months , coupled with the spiritual insights into simplifying life that you have gained thereby, presented in the allegory of life aboard a small boat, might equip you to offer a wilderness experiential learning program that people would pay to enjoy.

#145616 - 08/24/08 12:39 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: wildman800]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
In a case of some long lasting cruise donīt forget to store some vitamin C rich food in order to prevent scurvy.

#145620 - 08/24/08 01:03 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...always log when, where, and how much garbage that you dump..."

I know that there must be a good logical reason for this, but what it might be escapes me. Maybe to try to prove that you aren't the jerk dumping his trash overboard right off of that high dollar hotel's beach or something?

I suspected that fresh water would be right at the top of the list, glad that I have at least one or two brain cells working this morning. On that subject, I would suggest doing what RV boondockers do, carry a couple of collapsible five gallon water jugs along. I am sure that you will find lots of places you can dock at for free for a limited amount of time (like the WA state park where we are currently volunteering), with potable water nearby. Just dock, jump off, fill your jugs, jump on, and you're off. Our dock area even has a dump station for porta potties, so if you can figure out a way to use a blue boy, you would be good to go (pun intended again)...

#145641 - 08/24/08 03:39 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That is the exact reason for logging garbage dumps AND the USCG requires that log entry on all waste disposal.

The Log is a legal federal document that will stand up in a court of law. Make use of it so that it protects you from other people's finger pointing.

#145660 - 08/24/08 05:03 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: wildman800]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
wildman,

This thread has reminded me of a question I've always had in the back of my mind.

Is it even feasible to grow any types of plants while on a boat?

Even just small portable planters that could be hauled in during inclement weather?

Or did I watch Waterworld too many times?

#145662 - 08/24/08 05:48 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: samhain]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

So, is there some waterproof paper with waterproof pen setup for a ship's Log?

Is there a Ship's Log for Dummy's book / cribsheet somewhere?

Thanks.

#145673 - 08/24/08 06:49 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Hydroponics...or one could get some small planting pots to grow fresh herbs easily enough.

Some herbs will grow in just about any kind of poor soil conditions and they don't need much dirt either.

You probably wouldn't have to worry about getting them enough sunlight...

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#145683 - 08/24/08 07:48 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: samhain]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...Is it even feasible to grow any types of plants while on a boat?..."

Beats me. But I wonder if being in a salt water environment might be bad for any plants? I know that stuff grows on shore near the ocean, but would plants on a boat get more saltwater on them???

#145684 - 08/24/08 07:49 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I learn something new here every day!!!

#145691 - 08/24/08 08:46 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
Get your ham radio license, and you can use WinLink and APRS over HF radio. Winlink is a packet radio email system. APRS is a global positioning & information service that can be accessed over HF radio. Both are free to use, worldwide, and can help supplement your personal safety.

http://www.winlink.org/
http://aprs.org/

There are a number of low power radios. Yaesu makes some tiny, popular HF radios like the FT-857 & FT-817. Both radios can run off of battery packs.

#145692 - 08/24/08 08:51 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Crabbing has complex rules based on season, species, requirements for traps (e.g, no bait and hooks for crabs), etc.

Don't draw the ire of the fishcoppers; find out your local laws. And for God's sake, don't annoy professional crabbers! smile

#145769 - 08/25/08 03:18 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: samhain]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: samhain
wildman,

Is it even feasible to grow any types of plants while on a boat?

A bucket of herbs will grow nicely on a sailboat, just try to keep it out of the salt spray. You can also use a clear or opaque bottle to grown sprouts.

#145770 - 08/25/08 03:42 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: dweste
What other kinds of things can be done to be able to survive indefinitely on the water?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Learn your boat, learn your boat, learn your boat. Learn to do most if not all of the repairs needed for your boat, and have the tools to do them on board with you.
Set up a rain water collection system, that is not contaminated by salt water. Learn what types of easily obtainable sea plants are edible. Have a serious fishing kit on board, with good salt water tackle and poles/reels. Convert all interior lighting to LED's if you can, will save on battery power. Figure out what power you will need for your fridge/freezer or how long ice will last in your cooler.
If using propane to cook, make sure you set the stove/tanks up properly for a boat and be sure to have a explosive fume alarm. Alcohol stoves will burn rubbing alcohol, and even grain alcohol in a pinch.
You might want a Bimini top or sun shade, as the sun WILL be a bear long term.
Make sure your tender/dingy is in very good shape, and all of your rigging is top notch. You are looking at a used boat, so have a GOOD marine mechanic do a full survey.
There are many books out there about long distance crusing/living aboard boats, check out the library/ebay. They may help you with long term living on a boat. Boats are small in the living area over long term, and will seem even smaller when you load your gear in them. Can you comfortably live in 1 room, because that's about what living on a boat is??
Find a good marina, and spend some time there, getting to know what they sell, what they can or can't fix, and ask questions of other boaters AND the marina staff.

I've been looking at long term living on a boat also, and these are a few of the things I've come up with.

Edited by SBRaider (08/25/08 03:44 AM)

#145771 - 08/25/08 04:39 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stu]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

SBRaider reminds me of couple of space saving things that I used:

I hung nylon hammocks along the bulkheads in the V berth aznd in the main Salon. I kept my clothes (rolled up) in the V berth hammocks. They are actually hung from the overhead and alongside of the hulls (bulkhead) on each side so that they were above and on each side of the V berth and thus out of the way.

I hung 1 hammock in the same fashion in the main Salon and kept towels, washcloths, dish towels, and odds and ends in there.

I hung a set of hanging baskets in the Galley area to keep my potatoes, onions, and other vegetables in.

On the towboats, we keep our potatoes and onions (usually on the fantail) in milk crates, suspended from the Texas Deck overhang.

#145772 - 08/25/08 06:56 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Here is a forum that deals with living on board. They can probably answer your questions or already have. You might have a lot of catch up reading to do. Living Aboard Forums

If you are thinking of using a windmill you will want to use a Savonius type rotor. This is a vertical axis style rather than a bladed one. Meaning less interference with the sails. I've posted several links on this thread. Vertical Axis Wind Turbines

Fresh water will always be one of the critical factors. A rain catchment system is a very good idea. But then again you can never count on rain when you need it.

Whether you are using a solar distiller or a reverse osmosis system to purify water. be very careful of the water you start with. They might work fine on normal seawater. But may be overwhelmed by a spill or dump from other shipping. And never take in ocean water while in port. It will probably be a real witches brew. You will most likely poison yourself and destroy your filter.

Use any and all strategies to reduce your power consumption. Such as already mentioned LED lighting.

Also consider an alternate power source. I.e. a portable generator. Yes many boats have an auxiliary engine that can also generate electricity. But you want a back up. You may need to power a radio to yell for help and your kicker is dead. This could be a commercial genny. Or a homebuilt 12 volt. It would be made from a lawn mower engine and a car alternator to charge your battery bank.

Make sure you have waterproof storage for everything not actually in use. Even double protection if possible. Bucketed or boxed with bags inside. Flooding even minor is not only possible but very likely.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#145794 - 08/25/08 02:09 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: wildman800]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: wildman800
SBRaider reminds me of couple of space saving things that I used:

I hung nylon hammocks along the bulkheads in the V berth aznd in the main Salon. I kept my clothes (rolled up) in the V berth hammocks. They are actually hung from the overhead and alongside of the hulls (bulkhead) on each side so that they were above and on each side of the V berth and thus out of the way.

I hung 1 hammock in the same fashion in the main Salon and kept towels, washcloths, dish towels, and odds and ends in there.

I hung a set of hanging baskets in the Galley area to keep my potatoes, onions, and other vegetables in.

On the towboats, we keep our potatoes and onions (usually on the fantail) in milk crates, suspended from the Texas Deck overhang.

Wildman,
Thanks, I forgot to mention those. He may also want to have a line or webbing in the galley area to lean against just in case the boat is healed (sp?) over or in rough water.
A very good set of foul weather gear will come in as a very hand item to have. A few oil lanterns, or LED battery lanterns mounted so they can swivel and be used if the batteries fail is a nice addition.

Look for books by Lin & Larry Pardey, they have a few nice long distance cruising books. Here is a almost complete version in a PDF file on the "Care and Feeding of a Sailing Crew" by the Pardey's.
http://books.google.com/books?id=G4SI23Q...1&ct=result HERE

#145800 - 08/25/08 02:47 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stu]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

All plates and drinking glasses should be Plastic. No glass on a rocking boat.
You can use Lock-N-Lock containers or other waterproof containers and store stuff carefully in the bilges if you need extra room. Keep things organized, a neat boat will be far more comfortable than a messy one.
A fixed or temporary clothes line will help dry wet items with good ole solar power.
If you have a ice box, BLOCK ICE works better than cubes, and remember, the ice goes up high in the icebox.
Have a few more ABC fire extinguishers than required in strategic locations around the cockpit and cabin ares, just in case.
When on the boat IMHO every one should have a sharp fixed blade knife and a set of wire cutter (side cutters) pliers or a quality multi-tool on their person at all times. A rule on my boat. You never know when you might get tangled in the rigging or lines. A few seconds saved can save you life.
Don't forget a weather alert radio.
Spray covers for your dingy/tender will help keep you and your gear dry during shore trips.

Edited by SBRaider (08/25/08 02:53 PM)

#145806 - 08/25/08 03:16 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stu]
bmisf Offline

I've been following the podcast and blog for Roz Savage, a woman from the UK who rowed across the Atlantic and is now rowing across the Pacific. Site and blog are here:

http://www.rozsavage.com/

She's growing sprouts so she has greens.

Biggest issue for her was early failure of her watermaker - apparently the hatch over it leaked and it corroded within days and was unrepairable.

Anyway, some interesting reading there, and in between all the other stories and posts, probably some useful information on longer-term survival.

#145809 - 08/25/08 04:21 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: bmisf]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Perhaps Wildman has more info on this, but when boating alone, if you decide to relieve yourself over the side, hook up a lifeline. If you lose your balance for any reason, and go over the side, you can't swim fast enough to catch a moving boat.

Edited by SBRaider (08/25/08 05:25 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling errors

#145823 - 08/25/08 05:04 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stu]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You are 100% correct on the lifeline.

Look at the story of the S/V MARY CELESTE (1 of the 10 greatest mysteries of the sea) and the theories about what may have happened.

#145837 - 08/25/08 05:50 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stu]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: SBRaider
[quote=wildman800]Look for books by Lin & Larry Pardey, they have a few nice long distance cruising books. Here is a almost complete version in a PDF file on the "Care and Feeding of a Sailing Crew" by the Pardey's.

This book look perfect for advancing my sailbaot preparation, thanks!

Thanks to everyone else for the tips and ideas; I am revising the mast checklist with every post. Keep it up!

#145838 - 08/25/08 05:54 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

[quote=wildman800]Look for books by Lin & Larry Pardey, they have a few nice long distance cruising books. Here is a almost complete version in a PDF file on the "Care and Feeding of a Sailing Crew" by the Pardey's.

This book look perfect for advancing my sailbaot preparation, thanks!

Thanks to everyone else for the tips and ideas; I am revising the mast checklist with every post. Keep it up!

It's missing a few pages from certain chapters, but if you like it, you can buy the whole book.

#145840 - 08/25/08 05:59 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

HERE is another Pardey book preview for you. I find their books interesting, and very useful as I make plans for my next boat.
Going sailing this evening, should be a great evening for it.

#145845 - 08/25/08 06:22 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stu]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

The Self-Sufficient Sailor By Lin Pardey, Larry Pardey
I have THIS Pardey book, and strongly suggest you read the lengthy preview. Again, I got many great ideas from the book.

The Cost Conscious Cruiser By Lin Pardey, Larry Pardey HERE

Reviews
Patience Wells, Editor, Sail Magazine USA
Cruisers who are handy, and willing to take off without frills should read this book. The Pardeys are almost zealous in their convictions and question the necessity of much of what cruisers today call 'standard gear.' Herein they share hundreds of their secrets. This book takes an offbeat look at how to strip down your thinking as well as your boat.

Dan Spurr, Editor, Practical Sailor
A seductive invitation to the cruising life-style, in the main because these veteran voyagers have a unique way of reducing the issues and making the break seem almost easy. The Cost Conscious Cruiser is a powerful argument for simplicity and common sense. In 30 years of cruising, their precept really hasn't changed from the first - Go simple, go small, go now. It's appealing because it makes the wild things possible.

Book Description
The pleasures and adventures of cruising under sail are amazingly affordable, say Lin and Larry Pardey. But to keep your dream on budget, financially, emotionally, and timewise, you have to decide - are you a cruiser or a consumer? In this book, a logical successor to their Self Sufficient Sailor and Capable Cruiser, they discuss topics ranging from making your getaway plans to finding a truly affordable boat, keeping your outfitting costs and maintenance time in control, then learning to feel confident as you cruise farther ahead. Their chart of the gear considered necessary by many shoreside experts, compared to that carried by several cost-conscious cruisers, will give you a convenient checklist to gauge whether you are buying true necessities or overloading your budget and boat with high-tech items that can break down and steal your sense of confidence offshore. Chapters on getting the most from your cruising funds, the attributes of successful long-term voyag! ers, how to upgrade your boat using your own hands, plus answers to the ten questions most frequently asked by potential cruisers - all will help you prepare to explore under sail.

#145863 - 08/25/08 07:07 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stu]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
And a shotgun.

#146029 - 08/26/08 05:53 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Stein Offline
Stranger

Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet. This guy is on a 1000 day sailing trip where he won't resupply or even be within sight of land the whole time. He started with a "friend" who had to leave the boat to deal with what turned out to be a pregnancy.

Overall, you can't argue with the guy's seamanship or long-term survival ability. The website also talks about what equipment he has on board. Outside of communications and position tracking, he is pretty old-school.

He sails on a self-built ship and the overall story is pretty fascinating.

www.1000days.net

#146068 - 08/26/08 10:46 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stein]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I wish I could remember the name of a book I once read, 'bout several guys who set off from Australia en route to New Zealand in a large triple cat sailboat. They got capsized, and floated around upside down for several months before landing back on Oz. Very intersting reading as to how they got food, water, etc...

#146129 - 08/27/08 01:41 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Yesterday's boat inspection went pretty well. This topic may soon become a much more immediate, real world concern.

Edited by dweste (08/27/08 01:42 PM)

#146159 - 08/27/08 04:58 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Great, keep us posted...

#146174 - 08/27/08 05:48 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So you don't get discouraged at inevitable setbacks, read Farley Mowat's THE BOAT THAT WOULDN'T FLOAT and Jack London's CRUISE OF THE SNARK.

The inevitable GUN has been mentioned. My personal favourite boatgun is a SMLE. The things hold 10 rounds, are capable of VERY rapid controlled fire, are near impervious to climate and have sloppy chambers that digest the worst of ammo ( But buy a nice supply of fresh rounds, and if possible load up a box of aussie RINO 215 grainers.) You can still find them relatively cheap, and if one has been Frankensteined into a sporter even less. get one of the later versions with peep sights.

If you cannot afford, or do not want firearms, buy a box of big nails and scrap lumber and make pungy boards. A famous solo sailor was surrounded by hostile natives in the 19th century. He merely scattered TACKS on the deck and went below for tea.

DO NOT change your boat's name. It's bad luck.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (08/27/08 05:50 PM)

#146186 - 08/27/08 06:12 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Ahh a nother bloke that likes the smelly, a lot of my friend with newer wepons laugh at my SMLE untill I touch off one of those 303's and they see the results. It's not black, It's not short and It's not light. But it sure dose shoot.

#146246 - 08/27/08 09:35 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: big_al]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...It's not short and It's not light..."

You have the wrong one then, get a Number 5 "Jungle Carbine"...

#146353 - 08/28/08 04:50 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

i didn't see it in any of the above replies, but 'one hand for you and one hand for the boat' might save you from hurting yourself or falling overboard while underway. the boat will always lurch when you least expect it. and you'll get used to doing things one handed.

as mentioned above - when solo, always always wear a harness and keep yourself tied to the boat.

get in the habit of keeping everything secured - tied down. that lurching around can and will launch everything.

we thought the stove / oven was secured in the new boat - until we weathered a storm. the boat lurched, the oven door opened (it had a closure pin that wasn't in place) and launched cookie sheets and pots and pans stored in the oven across the cabin, the cooktop's burner restraints weren't tight enough and the half full - thankfully cold water - teapot was also launched across the cabin, and the stove came out of its built-in space. only the gas line held it in place.

needless to say this all occurred in the dark while it really stormed. scared the beejeezus out of my dad who was soundly sleeping in the dining area berth and was the recipient of the pans, water and teapot.

funny now, wasn't then.

i loved the two years i lived on that boat.

#146356 - 08/28/08 04:59 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Start making a list of the canned and packaged foods you like. Fresh food storage space is limited in many boats, and freezer space is almost non-existent. Canned veggies will prob. end up replacing fresh and frozen veggies.

Frozen meats may be a thing of the past. Get yourself a vacuum sealer, meats can be vacuum sealed and last much longer at temps under 60 degrees f. You can buy a slab or 5 of cured bacon, that does not require refrigeration. Same with Country Hams. Tuna, Salmon, chicken now comes in foil pouches, that don't need refrigeration.

Economy sided cans are out unless you have a way to store and use the leftovers before they go bad.

Learn to cook with raw ingredients, and not use many convenience packaged items. The raw ingredients can be used in many dishes, while "Hamburger Helper" is just basically that. Herbs and spices will add much flavor to your meals.

Think simple until you get to know your galley, and it's limitations.

A boat I'm looking at has a galley with a propane stove/oven near the main hatch (20 pound tank), with a 1 pound bottle propane grill off the stern rail. If I get it, I plan to hard plumb the bottle grill to the main propane system, and to add a 1 or 2 burner attachment to the grill, or have it somewhere in the cockpit near the stern. This should cut way down on cooking odors and grease buildup in the cabin.

I hope you like fresh fish. Catch and cook your own.

Do you plan on working? You might also want a mail drop of pick a berth in a marina that will hold your mail for you.

Wireless Internet is a way to go, many marinas have "Wi-Fi" on location. Laptops with several batteries may be very workable.

Edited by SBRaider (08/28/08 05:14 PM)

#146357 - 08/28/08 05:08 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stu]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

eggs don't need refrigeration. as long as you turn them end for end a couple of times a week they can last for - as i recall - up to about three weeks. but when they go, they go. and you'll know it.

#146361 - 08/28/08 05:18 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: bsmith]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: bsmith
eggs don't need refrigeration. as long as you turn them end for end a couple of times a week they can last for - as i recall - up to about three weeks. but when they go, they go. and you'll know it.

You are correct. Have them stored low in the boat, it can be cooler there. Any eggs that crack must be used or discarded immediately IMHO.

#146362 - 08/28/08 05:18 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: bsmith]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

i didn't see it in any of the above replies, but 'one hand for you and one hand for the boat' might save you from hurting yourself or falling overboard while underway.

we thought the stove / oven was secured in the new boat - until we weathered a storm.

Good post. Thanks for the advice!

#146365 - 08/28/08 05:22 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: bsmith]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

i loved the two years i lived on that boat.

I loved the 4 summers I lived on my boat. Wish to this day I had not sold it. I'm hoping to be living aboard next summer, if my plans and $$$ come through.

#146366 - 08/28/08 05:23 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stu]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

A boat I'm looking at has a galley with a propane stove/oven near the main hatch (20 pound tank), with a 1 pound bottle propane grill off the stern rail. If I get it, I plan to hard plumb the bottle grill to the main propane system, and to add a 1 or 2 burner attachment to the grill, or have it somewhere in the cockpit near the stern. This should cut way down on cooking odors and grease buildup in the cabin.

I hope you like fresh fish. Catch and cook your own.

Do you plan on working? You might also want a mail drop of pick a berth in a marina that will hold your mail for you.

Wireless Internet is a way to go, many marinas have "Wi-Fi" on location. Laptops with several batteries may be very workable.

All good stuff. I am pretty handy around the galley. The boat I am looking at has the same type grill-stove combo; I will consider your ideas. Love the fishing and the fish - but all are polluted in my area. Will work. Already have a mail / forwarding service set up. Using wireless internet now; will have a set on the boat.

Thanks for the great thoughts!

#146369 - 08/28/08 05:32 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

I am starting research on equipment to make fresh water, respecting the Rule of Threes.

#146373 - 08/28/08 05:42 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stu]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Learn your boat, learn your boat, learn your boat. Learn to do most if not all of the repairs needed for your boat, and have the tools to do them on board with you.

AMEN!

and plan on having to do repairs by yourself, at night, without light, while the boat's moving. sure, you probably will have light, but that's icing on the cake.

so much comes back to me - make sure you know where all of your bilge spaces are and how to get to them in a hurry. and don't put anything on top of any of the floorboards / bilge covers that can't be removed in a heartbeat.

bilge spaces can make great hiding places for things - just make sure whatever is waterproofed. typically you'll find water / fuel stored here.

#146374 - 08/28/08 05:48 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

I am starting research on equipment to make fresh water, respecting the Rule of Threes.

Don't forget the easy one - RAIN! smile

#146378 - 08/28/08 05:55 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: bsmith]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

AMEN!

bilge spaces can make great hiding places for things - just make sure whatever is waterproofed. typically you'll find water / fuel stored here.

I am almost overwhelmed. But I am also excited! My "spare" time is filled with reading about sailboat rigging and anchoring, my dreams with ocean cruising. I'm guessing it will take a few busy years before the boat and I will be ready to do much cruising the Pacific Coast.

Best bilge use I have read so far: cases of things to drink that should be chilled / cooled.

#146380 - 08/28/08 06:10 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

A mid-sized dog is a wonderful alarm system, and a good anti-theft deterrent. A trained boat dog is a nice friend to have with you also. Many boats sailing out the marina near me have a dog or two aboard.
You just need to figure out a place for the dog to do it's business.

#146400 - 08/28/08 09:34 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: bsmith]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

You can also hard boil eggs for later eating. You can reheat one in a microwave, but you probably won't have one of those. Or will you? You can also reheat one in hot water. You then mash it up into instant scrabbles eggs. Or something similar...

#146408 - 08/28/08 10:02 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Okay, back to basics. When in doubt make a list.

Water: storage, desalization, sources away from home, money.

Shelter: the boat, ditch bag bivy? ?PSK?

Food: ship's stores. ditch bag supplies, fishing gear, crab/lobster traps, diving, money ?PSK?

Fire: ship's stove, ship's barbecue, ditch bag stove, survival gear, ?PSK?

First aid / hygiene: boat kit, ditch bag kit, ?PFAK?

Navigation: charts, compass, GPS, stars-sun, internet?

Signaling: VHF, Coast Guard required gear, cell phone, email? ?EPIRB? signal mirror, boat flags,

Light: ship gear, ditch bag gear, ??

Self-protection: nav lights, sound-signals, training, improvised,

Morale: training, experience,

And now I need to take a break,

#162660 - 01/12/09 06:22 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

It is back on.

Different boat: 1977 Albin Scampi, 29'9" LOA, 9'9" beam, 4'6" draft, fiberglass hull, wood stringers, 20 HP Yanmar diesel, alcohol stove, electric refrigerator that runs on shore power off battery and inverter.

After the basics I am going to try to increase the "cruisability" of the boat with larger tanks, solar power, LED nav lights, better electronics, laptop with internet and wi-fi ability, better and more running and anchor gear. It is going to take a while.

I will take a navigation class or two and probably some basic classes geared toward self-sufficient coastal cruising north and south of the San Franciso Golden Gate Bridge. But for now, cruising and gunk-holing in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.

Edited by dweste (01/12/09 06:23 PM)

#162678 - 01/12/09 07:45 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Is it yours yet???

#162682 - 01/12/09 08:01 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Is it yours yet???

Almost, with no known obstacles to closing the deal in the next 10 days or so. I have all the paperwork, the last marine survey from 5 years ago, etc. Working now to line up the insurance and the marina; have financial backing if - as is likely - it is necessary to get those. A seller carry-back deal.

#162684 - 01/12/09 08:19 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Good luck with it!!!

#162827 - 01/13/09 05:48 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I was wondering what you would have as a tender, unless you decide not to use one?

#162917 - 01/13/09 06:03 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: scafool]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: scafool
I was wondering what you would have as a tender, unless you decide not to use one?

I am wondering also.

I may be able to get back a sit-on-top Hobie Adventure (pedal drive)kayak from a friend of mine, which will be okay if I don't mind the likelihood getting a bit damp. This would also be great for some fishing and exploring away from the sailboat.

A more conventional small pram or other rowboat might make better long-range sense; maybe I can build something serviceable within my miniscule budget.

I like the idea of inflatable dinghies, but I haven't actually seen one I like very much.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

#162953 - 01/13/09 08:47 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"... sit-on-top Hobie Adventure (pedal drive)kayak..."

Keeping in mind that I am not a sailor, could you rig an electric trolling motor to one of those? Might beat pedalling if you have any distance to travel...

#162968 - 01/13/09 10:18 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

I don't have an answer either. At 29 feet space matters.
Inflatables are easy to stow, but a towed dingy is really handy to just hop into and go to the beach in.

Hopefully one of the others will have some good suggestions.

#162971 - 01/13/09 10:31 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Your idea of building a dinghy/pram reminded me of this site I saw.
http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/dinghy1/simboii.htm

He has a plan for building 2 very small ones out of 3 sheets of thin plywood. I have not tried one yet but they look fairly good.
If they work well I could see building one to keep and one for selling to pay for material costs.

#162974 - 01/13/09 10:52 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: scafool]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I think that this may have been mentioned here before, but the Porta-bote might work for you. I see lots of them strapped to the sides of RV's...

#163459 - 01/16/09 06:30 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
the Porta-bote might work for you.

How do those things stand up to heavy use?

#163467 - 01/16/09 07:12 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...How do those things stand up to heavy use?..."

Beats me, I have never used one. Closest I came was talking to a couple of RV'ers as they launched theirs, they said that they loved it...

Here is some more info on them I found...

#163613 - 01/17/09 09:49 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Okay. "Almost for sure" approvals from the marina and boat insurance guys. Working on California DMV paperwork. Hope to sail the boat to its new home the weekend of January 24th. Transition to liveaboard probably take a couple weeks, fully moved out of everywhere else . . . ?

Scrub down, basic equipment for liveaboard, shakedown mini-cruises in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta and San Franciso Bay area, maintenance schedule, upgrade priority list, navigation class(es), etc. Goal is to cruise out under the Golden Gate bridge for some limited coastal cruising - possibly by Fall 2009 and certainly by Spring 2010. Ultimately intend to cruise to Mexico and Alaska.

#163620 - 01/17/09 10:13 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Do You have your Pie Rate flag yet?!!!

I wish you all the best on your voyages, nothing but the finest kind.

Edited by scafool (01/19/09 11:44 AM)

#165320 - 01/27/09 07:36 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: scafool]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Sailboat purchase closed - seller financing (it's good to have friends). Insurance purchased for the year. DMV paperwork filed and fees paid. Marina fees to be paid today or tomorrow. Sailing her home Friday, and if necessary, Saturday.

The adventure begins!

#165328 - 01/27/09 07:55 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

"I have done more for San Francisco than any other of its old residents. Since I left there it has increased in population fully 300,000. I could have done more -- I could have gone earlier -- it was suggested.
- undated letter quoted in Mark Twain: A Biography"

Anchors away my friend! Here's to a life of adventure on the high seas.

Edited by scafool (01/27/09 09:06 PM)
Edit Reason: quotes

#165341 - 01/27/09 08:52 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: scafool]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
AWESOME!!

Congratulations with your purchase I am truly very happy for you!

-Todd

#165342 - 01/27/09 09:03 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Ah, a life at sea... I'll be lifting a glass of rum tonight in your honor!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#165348 - 01/27/09 10:06 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Blast]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Cheers!

We look forward to updates from the high seas!

#165361 - 01/27/09 11:58 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stu]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In my experience, all of the onboard dogs that I have been around, go to the bow or "A" mount (or mount 81, 31, 51, or the fwd missile launcher) to do their business.

The crews keep a square bladed shovel nearby to scoop the solids overboard, and a hose to wash everything down.

On a fiberglas boat, I'd recommend a plastic scoop and a 5 gal bucket with a long line tied to the handle. You can use seawater to washdown the designated "pooping spot"!!!

#165372 - 01/28/09 12:19 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I'm more than a tad envious. Congratulations.

#165436 - 01/28/09 09:27 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Yuccahead]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Say Dweste, what are the laws regarding charging for short cruises in your area?

It might not pay all the bills, but even just a few friends going for a day sailing might possibly put a bit of fuel in the tanks.

#165441 - 01/28/09 11:11 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: scafool]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

A USCG "six pack" Captain's license might be a good place to start, along with the required first aid and CPR training AFTER getting several years good experience in all kinds of weather handling the boat. Not dock time mixing cocktails, but actual boat handling time.

#165563 - 01/29/09 03:24 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stu]
MedB Offline

Congrats on the boat!

Maybe it's a bit off the original topic, but I always thought the systems used on these vehicles might be perfect for a live aboard boat:

http://www.earthroamer.com/tab_xpedition_vehicles/xvlt1_overview.html

Diesel-powered ceramic stove
Effecient DC compressor fridge
Etc...

And a couple of solar panels will run everything for days/weeks. If you run the diesel and/or have wind turbine that it should go forever.

#165572 - 01/29/09 05:23 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Congratulations!!! Enjoy riding the waves (don't tell my wife, the former swabette, that I said that)...

#165573 - 01/29/09 05:34 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
waves or W.A.V.E.S.??

RIP OBG

#165574 - 01/29/09 05:40 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Whatever turns you on. I guess a lucky sailor might say both...

#166093 - 02/02/09 05:49 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Well, letting the other guy do the plan and prep work ended the way it does too often. The fun day-and-a-half sail through bays he knew into the delta waters I know turned into three-quarters-of-a-day of sailing without getting very far, a tow into a marina and another day-and-a-half tow into the boat's new home.

Venerable and supposedly never-fail diesel motor disabled for unknown reasons, aground once for a stupid reason, and just a long slow haul home. "Comedy" of errors.

Safe. Tired. Grungy. Determined to set a higher standard.

#166103 - 02/02/09 07:09 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Ah, the life on the water.
Hey Dweste, you might want to look up Tim Anderson's writings on the Instructables site.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Maiden-Voyage-of-the-Free-Yacht/

#166117 - 02/02/09 08:22 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...diesel motor disabled..."

Major bummer. Good luck with repairs...

#166182 - 02/03/09 03:54 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC

Safe. Tired. Grungy. Determined to set a higher standard.

So long as you are learning and trying to set a higher standard, you probably will.

Good luck with the diesel.

Edited by Dan_McI (02/03/09 03:54 AM)

#166588 - 02/06/09 05:06 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Dan_McI]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Six garbage bags of stuff removed and delivered to former owner so far; more drawer and compartment exploration to go.

Long list of projects developing. Going to be a challenge to convert this racer-day sailer-occasional weekender into a boat that can cruise for a week or more independent of shore resources.

Self-steering gear, wind power generator, solar everything, more water storage, better galley, etcetera, etcetera. This is going to be a project of years, I suspect.

I'm loving it!

#167371 - 02/19/09 07:03 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Power from wind or from water flow:

http://www.boost-energy.com/ampair/products_product4.asp

Hooked up with a local boat builder who is a low voltage contractor and master wood-worker. The fact that he can use my services is a giant plus. First tasks: rebuild a more secure companionway hatch door and install a second striker plate set up for the head door so it stays open and out of the way when desired.

Searching for an on-deck anchor and ground tackle system; there is not chain or rode locker on this boat. Looking at things like: Minn Kota Anchor Mate and EZAnchor Puller.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

#167405 - 02/20/09 02:42 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Sounds like things are moving along! Congrats.
No useful info here for anchros other than we find 5 or so a year when water drops at hte lake smile I think they are all to small for you or you could have one.

#167412 - 02/20/09 11:55 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Todd W]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

From my quick look at it, the EZ Anchor Puller looks like it might be overkill for a boat under 40 feet. I know that I have pulled up by hand an achor for a 41 foot boat. If however you might be single-handed, it might be helpful.

No opinion about the Minn Kota Anchor Mate, I think I'd need to see it work.

I've seen anchor lines sold in 5 gallon buckets. Coiling one into a bucket could be a time-consuming task, but it might be a good storage idea.

As you might know, anchors function when given enough scope. The idea is that the anchor is allowed to dig into the bottom. When an chor has too little scope, it might did in, but the scope is likely to thereafter force the flukes to dig out of the bottom. If you are at anchor and want to lift your anchor, then pulling in scope is going to free the anchor from the bottom, at which time you will only be pulling up the weight of the anchor. My guess is also that you can easily pull sacope in by hand, because I know I've pulled a tugboat that was 100 feet long and had an engine designed for a locomotive.

Edited by Dan_McI (02/20/09 03:05 PM)

#167452 - 02/20/09 09:22 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Dan_McI]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Two challenges: 1 - where to neatly stow the anchor line and chain, and 2 - how to do everything single-handed, perhaps when not well (I get shoulder bursitis often enough to be concerned to plan for it) or in adverse conditions.

I have looked for manual-wind anchor winches that internally stow the anchor line but have not found any yet.

#167457 - 02/21/09 12:31 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Desperado]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Desperado
waves or W.A.V.E.S.??

LOL! Almost had Vernor's out my nose and all over my lecture.

My advice? Learn to SAIL. Anyone can own a boat (well, not financially, but in terms of pre-req's), but only a sailor can handle one. Take classes. Learn to navigate (by GPS, stars, etc). Know the rules of the road (despite Capt. Ron, they don't always move out of your way). Get in good with the local Coasties, cuz those guys can handle a boat. Get out in good weather and as you get more comfortable, get more and more "risky" weather sailing. 300 miles offshore is not the best time to learn about storms.

I had the pleasure of going on several day cruises on 26-ft sail boats. It was tough enough coordinating the sail and wind with 2 people. Get proficient at handling a boat by yourself - there's a suprising amount of stuff to do!

Have fun! I'm envious.

#167471 - 02/21/09 06:09 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: MDinana]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I totally agree with you, MDinana!!!!

#167477 - 02/21/09 03:22 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Two challenges: 1 - where to neatly stow the anchor line and chain, and 2 - how to do everything single-handed, perhaps when not well (I get shoulder bursitis often enough to be concerned to plan for it) or in adverse conditions.

I have looked for manual-wind anchor winches that internally stow the anchor line but have not found any yet.

Since, I think you might want to do things the cheap way anyways, how about as follows:

1. Anchor line of double-braided line, stowed ina 5-gallon bucket, so it can be put in a lazarette or other compartment and remain neat when stowed. My memeroy tells me to coil it as if flemished backwards and working in tiers (coil it tightly around the outside of the bucket, get a tight coil across the bottom, then take the line to the next tier along the outside wall and work back in for each tier, time consuming but it should pay out easily;
2. Run the anchor line up toward the bow from your cock pit using a series of snatch blocks and run right to a headsail winch. When you want to pull it in and your shoulder is acting up, then put it on the winch, grab a winch handle, crank and crank nd crank, until it is free of the bottom. Much better if you have a self-tailing winch, but if not, it will work. If you can use snatch blocks, perhaps you can change the lead as it hauls in or right before you haul it in and put the lead near the front of you cock pit and off the side of your boat, or maybe even put your boom out with your main down to serve as a lead.
3. For an anchor, it's tough to beat a danforth with a few feet of chain.

What do you intend to use as a tender if anything?

#167479 - 02/21/09 03:36 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: MDinana]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: Desperado
waves or W.A.V.E.S.??
It was tough enough coordinating the sail and wind with 2 people. Get proficient at handling a boat by yourself - there's a suprising amount of stuff to do!

Have fun! I'm envious.

I'm envious too.

Sail handling is made a lot easier by creative rigging. I've raced boats that were 41 feet long and never used a main sail winch. We had a main sheet that used a six-to-one racheting block, with the top dead end lead connected to another set of four-to-one blocks, as a fine tune. It ended up as a twentyfour-to-one purchase and you simply did not need a winch to pull it in, even in 30 knots of breeze.

I also like lots of cam and stopper cleats, because they free up winches and other cleats. Since you probably should have little need to do really fast sail changes, the risks of needing to burn a halyard without a winch are minimal. I got a rope burn from having to do it once, but we did pretty good in that race, so it was kind of a badge of honor and it healed. I was both navigating and working the pit, and I got caught moving too fast between the two spots, and had no time to put on my gloves.

I agree with most of MDinana recommendations, but add one. KNOW, I mean really know, your home waters. Study your charts, highlight on thecharts or copies all of the places you shouldn't go. So, if your boat has a 5 foot draft, highlight the places where you think it is too shallow to go, say, the ten or eight and less places. Give yourself some spare ater under the keel. When I was working in New York Harbor, a bouy could not be moved twenty feet without me knowing it was not in the same spot. I was there all the time, I studied things, how it was supposed to look, etc. There were times I went into places where the water was shallow, but those were also times that I exercised caution and tried to keep my stern clear of any shallow spots. Protect your stern more than your bow, because that is where the props and rudder are located.

#167506 - 02/21/09 07:41 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Dan_McI]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

All good stuff, thanks.

Challenges:

Even when able-bodied, hauling a 5-gallon bucket full of rope, anchor, and chain from cockpit to bow is an obstacle course of standing and running rigging. Can it be done? Of course. Will it be done? Yep. Is there a better, easier, less risky, more-reliable-in-all-conditions solution? That's what I am working toward.

My immediate home waters are an estimated 1,000 miles of Sacramento - San Joaquin Delta. These largely narrow and twisting sloughs feature murky water most of the year and little or no navigation aids, except for the two major deep water ship channels going to Stockton and to Sacramento.

Depth is rarely over 20 feet with shallow flats, sand bars, between-island-berms, with floating and fixed debris all over. I have never seen a chart detailed enough to trust except in general terms for depths 10 feet and under.

The boat supposedly drafts 4.5 feet or 4 feet 5 inches, depending on the documentation. I will be carefully checking this, though the one inch difference is unlikely to be critical often.

In the ship channels I do not worry much about depth because they are dredged to about 40 feet (I only check the charts every 10 seconds or so). In the sloughs I rely heavily on prior experience, visual inspection of shore topography and shoreline vegetation - especially aquatic weeds, and checking the charts every 30 seconds or so.

Areas strange to me and night navigation out of the ship channel areas call for very slow passage, and probably little or no sailing.

Edited by dweste (02/21/09 07:43 PM)

#167676 - 02/23/09 08:21 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Item to note: If your deep draft is 4'6", then your Navigation Draft should be about 6'. IOW, don't try to sail/motor into waters that are listed as less than 6 feet deep at mean mean low water.

#167686 - 02/23/09 10:24 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: wildman800]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: wildman800
Item to note: If your deep draft is 4'6", then your Navigation Draft should be about 6'. IOW, don't try to sail/motor into waters that are listed as less than 6 feet deep at mean mean low water.

Well, that's the fun part. The charts are relatively vague about the transition zones between carefully navigable - say more than 10 feet of depth at low tide - and no-go areas that are dry at low tide.

All the sloughs have radical depth changes in very small distances, and submerged obstacles [typically large tree branches and old pilings] that defeat charting. Caution and careful exploration are the keys.

As a practical matter, most of my voyages will be in areas I know well or in places outside the Delta where the chart depths are significantly beyond any point of concern.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 352 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.