The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#145421 - 08/22/08 10:47 PM Re: TSA took my... [Re: weldon]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Hint . If you know where the "SuperMall" is, you can probably find the place. Then tell those of us who don't have a clue...

#145659 - 08/24/08 04:58 PM Re: TSA took my... [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Do you mean they confiscated a BOOK ??

What's dangerous about a book ..?? confused
How could you assault the pilot with a book ??

and yes I did read Ray Bradbury's "Farenheit 451"
But I guess TSA is not looking for this kind of danger ...

#145747 - 08/25/08 12:49 AM Re: TSA took my... [Re: frenchy]
duckear Offline
Addict

I carry a self addressed envelope with my home as the return address as well.

It has one stamp on it. I'll pay the postage due when it gets home.

I wonder if you put the item in a envelope with stamp, could the TSA take it to sell it our would they have to mail it for you? Wouldn't they be tampering with the US Mail if they didn't?

#145764 - 08/25/08 02:38 AM Re: TSA took my... [Re: duckear]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Ah, the TSA... one of my favorite whipping horses. I just went on a vacation and kept thinking how thankful I am that I travel a great deal less than I once did. I packed all my sharps into a checked bag, which cost me $15 for the pleasure and made me feel nearly naked without my Leatherman. :-)

I made it through Checkpoint Charlie without a beating or being sent to jail without passing go (or getting declared an enemy combatant and stripped of my lifetime citizenship). So, there's that. But WOW on the holier-than-though, indifferent, ignorant, and dismissive attitudes. The "we couldn't care less about you, real safety, and we'd be happy to relieve you of your rights" feeling was palpable. Of course, nobody dared mention it within earshot of anyone in a TSA uniform, but I overheard more than one conversation at the gates on the topic.

On a relevant side-note, I just read where a federal judge ruled that people can now sue to have their names removed from the no-fly list. Probably a good thing after this post. ;-)

#146468 - 08/29/08 05:21 AM Re: TSA took my... [Re: comms]
LED Offline
Veteran

Just read this article and thought you might want to know that the TSA can fine you for confiscated items.

Quote:

TSA agents are entitled to reverential treatment, regardless of how much damage they inflict on people’s travel schedules or luggage. The TSA slapped fines on almost 5,000 people in 2003, yet never made any public announcement that people faced fines for violations. There were no warnings and people who received a fine in the mail were never informed of their right to contest or appeal the fine. TSA waited until early 2004 to announce the fine system, at which time the maximum fine was raised from $1,100 to $10,000.

TSA agents at Baltimore-Washington International Airport confiscated a small steak knife from the briefcase of Susan Brown Campbell, a California lawyer. After she received a $150 fine in the mail, she called TSA seeking information on how to challenge the fine. A TSA lawyer phoned Campbell and, as she later stated, was “very, very intimidating,” warning “that the penalty could be up to $10,000.” Campbell was told she would have to travel back to Baltimore to contest the fine. TSA punished Campbell’s insolence by doubling her fine to $300.

You may also be fined for "nonphysical interference" and "attitude," arbitrarily determined by a TSA employee.

Quote:

The TSA’s system of fines is a travesty of the Administrative Procedures Act – which guarantees Americans due process rights in dealings with federal agencies. Instead, TSA simply concocted a system of fines, failed to give people warning or notice, failed to define the key terms, failed to notify violators of their right to appeal. And if people are unsatisfied with the TSA’s “justice” – they must go through the Coast Guard’s administrative law judge system to dispute the fee. This guarantees years of delay and makes it far more difficult for an American citizen to let a jury of his peers in a federal courtroom decide the justice of the government’s action.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/bovard/bovard59.html

#146484 - 08/29/08 12:37 PM Re: TSA took my... [Re: LED]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...TSA punished Campbell’s insolence by doubling her fine to $300..."

Ya gotta love it...

#146501 - 08/29/08 02:05 PM Re: TSA took my... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
If I can speculate, this kind of attitude was inherited from US Customs, which has always had a My Way or the Highway attitude towards travellers. TSA is more of the same. Their jobs is pretty binary, to keep attackers and attacks off of airplanes, which requires a clean perimeter. Judging from a recent pass through the GSA warehouse people are still bringing stupid things through security - chainsaws, knives, pepper spray. We are going on 7 years since 9/11 and the real advent of serious security. This doesn't go away. What are people thinking?

Still, what is the alternative, how would you make a better (friendlier) TSA? I travel often enough, I've never been met with anything but courtesy, even in SeaTac which is reputed to have fairly slow and somewhat difficult TSA. Not always friendly, but courteous. My experience must be the exception to someone else's rule though, to hear people talk about it. I think Americans have something deeply inbred, lets call it a love of freedom, and hate to have that infringed. Bully for that. TSA takes away our freedom to board a flight with lighters, knives, bear spray, chainsaws, all sorts of goodies. We stand in lines and wait for them to do their jobs. We're sometimes met with an infuriating amount of stolid but necessary adherence to regulations. But its the regulations that keep the perimeter clean, and we would be jumping up and down on TSA if something got through and someone was able to take down another flight as a result. Its a binary issue - either you keep the stuff out, or you let it in, and we know what the consequences could be if things make it back onto planes. If someone has a better alternative I'd really like to hear it.

#146591 - 08/30/08 12:07 AM Re: TSA took my... [Re: Lono]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I agree with what you say. I am for sure not a seasoned traveler ('cept when I am driving), but from what I read here, and other places, it is the inconsistency of TSA that drives most people nuts. Think nipple rings, for example...

#146608 - 08/30/08 12:52 AM Re: TSA took my... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Think nipple rings, for example...

Don't mind if I do...
Oh yeah!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#146609 - 08/30/08 12:54 AM Re: TSA took my... [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Now think of having to remove them in semi-privacy, with a rusty (I added that part) pair of someone elses pliers...

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.