Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#145271 - 08/22/08 04:10 AM Re: BOB / survival saw [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Call me crazy, but I would rather have a hatchet. Why, you ask? Because opposite the chopping edge I have a suitable hammer for pounding in tent stakes.

I do have a saw. It's just some cheapy that I got at Walmart. But my hatchet is my go-to tool for anything to tough for my knife.

I agree that a hatchet is handy, but it’s a tool that doesn’t allow for misjudgments in aim. I have one that I take camping, I find the saw faster for wood of 1-inch or bigger and the hatchet better for smaller wood.

Both are handy tools, but the saw is more forgiving and less dangerous to use.

When camping with my son (he’s 18-years old) I let him use the saws any time he wants, but I have a hard time letting him go with the hatchet. I do it, but every time I watch and remind him how to use it and make sure he does it in a way I feel is safe. At 18 you think you are invincible, ( I know I thought I was) you have to get old like me before you figure out this isn’t so. I guess that’s why the young are the ones to storm the beaches of the world, they are too dumb to know you can get killed.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#145274 - 08/22/08 05:30 AM Re: BOB / survival saw [Re: BobS]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
My pocket chainsaw resembles the one you got at Walmart, its called a SaberCut from Ultimate Survival, a good brand that makes fire sparkers and other interesting things, http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/product_view.cfm?product_ID=430. I originally bought it thinking to replace my Sven saw for cutting away smallish trees down across the trail (while I don't cut green branches for shelter, I do cut the occasional dead tree to clear a trail :-)), and its pretty good, but I think the motion of sawing with the Sven saw is more natural, I've kept it instead. Now the SaberCut is relegated to a BOB, but its not clear why I would use it in an emergency (most of the trees that might fall around my house are too big to cut by hand). Its definitely smaller and lighter than a Sven, and seems plenty durable unlike imitators, just not quite as handy as a Sven or frame saw.

#145281 - 08/22/08 09:50 AM Re: BOB / survival saw [Re: Lono]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Lono
Now the SaberCut is relegated to a BOB, but its not clear why I would use it in an emergency (most of the trees that might fall around my house are too big to cut by hand).

Before I started getting into the preparedness mindset, I was on a snowmobile trip that taught me a lesson about the need to have wood cutting tools on hand. We, two of us, left for the trails on a beautiful, snowy morning with nary a second thought about cutting wood. By the end of the day, pine trees were literally falling down around us due to a combination of heavy snow accumulation on the trees, soft ground and wind.

We soon encountered trees that had fallen across our only trail back to the base camp. Due to the depth and texture of the snow, along with the lateness in the day, it wasn't feasible to hike out. If we didn't ride out, we would be forced to make do on the trail until morning, something that we were ill prepared to do.

The trees couldn't be drug out of the way because they were still attached at the stump and they were too long to allow us to swing the free end past standing trees. We ended up hacking through the fallen trees by taking turns with my buddy's single SOG SEAL Pup. Trees were falling around us as we attempted to clear the trail. The beautiful winter wonderland that we had so enjoyed earlier was trying to kill us and I would have given all my worldly possessions for a good hand saw.

Before that trip was over, we had purchased a variety of packable wood cutting tools, vowing that we would never again be unprepared for a similar situation.

I would go on but I need to go fondle my saws. wink

#145283 - 08/22/08 10:27 AM Re: BOB / survival saw [Re: BobS]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
+1 on that BobS.

The ability to drive a tent stake isn't that high for me- you can always find a rock around here. While an axe is worthwhile, a hatchet in my experience isn't as efficient a use of space as a 12" machete for the small stuff, and a buck saw for the larger.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#145310 - 08/22/08 12:55 PM Re: BOB / survival saw [Re: BobS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I guess I was lucky. I was clearing trees on my uncles land (at his request) at about eigth. I was too small to swing his full sized axe, so I cut down 10"+ pine trees with a rig axe (large hatchet with a checkered face hammer head on the other side). Been swinging edged tools ever since. I don't always hit exactly where I want to, but have never cut myself either...

#145313 - 08/22/08 01:01 PM Re: BOB / survival saw [Re: ironraven]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I thank you all for your input. I think I will go with the hand chain saw in leui of the sawz-all blade. It is cheap enough at approx. $10 and IMHO would probably keep my hands in better condition for other vital tasks. One of the reasons I enjoy this site is that there are varieties of opinion and respect for the variances. All I have to do now is find a space in my pack to store the saw. I will probably put one in each of my vehicles emergency boxes.

Again thanks for the ideas and information passed along.

#145327 - 08/22/08 01:56 PM Re: BOB / survival saw [Re: epirider]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
A word of warning: unlike fixed saws, the flexible kind is nearly useless for very light work. I imagine you're aware of that, though...

www.kravmagafederation.com

#145356 - 08/22/08 04:05 PM Re: BOB / survival saw [Re: Rodion]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
Gents, I subscribe to Tactical Knives Magazine, and a gent named Dan Shechtman pens the Survival column there. He opines that through various means, you can loose or be separated from your pack or anything that is not "attached" to you. He recommends a "pocket-able" folding saw. I took this recommendation to heart and purchased a Silky Pocket Boy 170 (www.silkysaws.com), it is the largest model that will fit in a BDU thigh pocket. I has a comfortable orange rubber like handle (any handle in a given size series will fit any blade in that series) and I ordered a full selection of blades and spares of each. I'm still in the testing stage, trying to figure out what each blade design cuts what best, and to see if I can narrow it down to 1 or 2 blades that cover most of what I would need to cut. So far, it's a great saw, I'm very happy with it.
Between it, my PSK/PFAK, SAK, Leatherman Wave (Gen.I), lock back folder, a substantial fixed blade, Zippo and the K&M brass match safe with waxed strike anywheres, most or all of which can in some way be tied or affixed to me, I'll miss my pack as it floats down stream, but I'll not be without tools.
Regards, Jim

PS, you can order directly from Silky.

Edited by aligator (08/22/08 04:22 PM)

#145367 - 08/22/08 05:18 PM Re: BOB / survival saw [Re: OldBaldGuy]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I guess I was lucky. I was clearing trees on my uncles land (at his request) at about eigth. I was too small to swing his full sized axe, so I cut down 10"+ pine trees with a rig axe (large hatchet with a checkered face hammer head on the other side). Been swinging edged tools ever since. I don't always hit exactly where I want to, but have never cut myself either...

I don't think you're lucky. I think other people are just paranoid.

#145372 - 08/22/08 05:47 PM Re: BOB / survival saw [Re: epirider]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

In the same vein, i.e. a cut it all (even if slowly) folding or takedown small saw, does anyone have any experience with the "MXZ Saw" for sale at www.asseenontv.com?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.