The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#145229 - 08/22/08 12:27 AM Urban E&E Kit
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
'Evenin Ladies and Gents. I don't know where this should go, or if it's appropriate for this site, if not please relocate or delete.
I am a born and raised country boy, a student of wilderness skills, and admittedly don't know much about urban survival. I find myself working in the Bronx as an RN at a trauma center. I can envision scenarios, natural or man made, martial law or war, where I would need to get home, but it might be in my best interest to keep a low profile from both the general population as well as the administration (not interested in being sent to a shelter). It might be closer to evading and escaping then wilderness survival or wilderness skills. I'm not suggesting or entertaining anything illegal, just wondering what different tools, equipment, and knowledge would facilitate such a journey?
I thinking a medium sized neutral color, non descript pack, and a small belt pouch type container with just the bare minimum. The pouch would live on my belt, I would hopefully have access to my pack and would be in good shape if I could get to my car.
I've never been in the military, nor raised in the city, so I don't know what would be required, or handy to have available.
Thanks in advance. Regards, Jim

#145233 - 08/22/08 12:45 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: aligator]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Don’t stick out of the crowd. Look at what the people around you carry (briefcases, small travel bags ) and replicate those for your storage containers. Don’t put on a big backpack that looks out of the city element.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#145236 - 08/22/08 12:50 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: aligator]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
The first thing to do is ditch the scrubs. Soon as you are recognized as medical personnel, you would be put in a place that probably not where you want to be. The next thing I could think of would be to have a stash of cash sewn into the belt pack. Have a map of routes that could be utilized to get (eventually) where you do want to be. This would include alternate routes, bus times, subway times, dangerous areas, etc... I would also think that you would want to make practice runs of each route as well. If you are driving, get one of those foldable bikes that can be stashed in your car should traffic come to a standstill in the evac. I dont know if this is possible or feasable but if there was a place you could stash a small bug-out bag in the hospital (locker, locked trunk in the boiler room, whatever) so you could have a more then better chance of a successful evac from your work. Have one in your car as well. One is good but if tshtf, and you could not get to it have a back up close at hand. Take them both if possible. Just my opinion...

#145250 - 08/22/08 01:55 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: epirider]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
Thanks for the responses.
BobS, You see allot of black/coyote day packs around here.
Sockpuppet, I understand the concept of "the gray man" and your idea of "customizing" your clothes is interesting. Kind of like the Scottie (?) vest/shirt/jackets?
Epirider, I plan to loose the scrubs ASAP, and keep "appropriate"(clothing as your first line of shelter), and common "looking" clothes and well broken in boots close by.
I understand the concept of BOB, but wondered if there was anything of value in the concept of avoiding, or actively evading, ANY contact, and any additional tools, knowledge, or techniques, related to that which might improve your prospects of successfully getting where ever you need to go? Elsewhere people have suggested night vision/thermal imaging, lock picks, window punches, etc. I'm not sure I'm ready to go quite that far, but like the man said"if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying hard enough. Thanks again. Regards, Jim

Edited by aligator (08/22/08 02:06 AM)

#145251 - 08/22/08 02:16 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: aligator]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I'm not quite sure what your getting at. This site is for preparedness not evading an enemy threat foriegn or domestic.

As a first responder its your obligation to help as you can in an emergancy situation like say Katrina or NY911. Blackwater or the feds are not going to force you into service.

Don't think too much covert hush hush into your bug out plan. Plenty of us here have lived that sort of lifestyle as an occupation. The advise you have got so far will keep you alive and get you home.

#145254 - 08/22/08 02:25 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: aligator]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
You should have maps of the local areas, and the areas between where you are and where you would want to go.

I drive from Centralia, WA to Seattle (85 mi) or down to Portland, OR (95 mi) regularly, and as driving entertainment, I think about what I would do if a large earthquake hit. If I were fortunate enough to be on the north side of the Columbia River, I could probably make it home with my 4WD work vehicle in a day or two. Or three.

If I were in Seattle when the same quake hit, I'm afraid that I would be SOL for seeing home soon. It would probably take me at least ten days to get there, or even more if I had to do much backtracking. And youbetcha, it would have to be on foot. Downed overpasses, abandoned vehicles, tons of fallen debris... yuck!

I have a company gym bag in the back that contains a few tools, a first aid kit, emergency blankets, RR crew kits (handiwipes, paper towels, TP, plastic bag) and I've added a few things of my own to fill it out (they didn't even have any duct tape in there, can you imagine? :o)

I usually have a case or two of bottled water in the back, and leave an insulated nylon jacket there, too.

I carry a backpack with all my maps, granola bars and nuts, and some of the regular stuff listed here at ETS, but it isn't full. It WOULD be full by the time I set out, after I added some of the company's and the RR's supplies grin.

TIP: Try to find maps that show the RR lines. I don't know about other places, but there seem to be fewer overpasses, bridges and tunnels where the tracks go. Less traffic, too. Travel along the RR right-of-way on one side of the tracks or the other, not ON the tracks.

I cannot emphasize it enough: STAY OFF THE TRACKS! STAY OFF THE TRESTLES! I don't care what you think the trains are doing, STAY OFF THE TRACKS! And be aware that the trains have a 3-foot overhang on either side of the tracks that could nail you, too.

For you guys who know what hobos were, they not only hitched rides on the trains (very hard now, and very dangerous), but they traveled along the tracks so they wouldn't be bothered, they knew the tracks went somewhere, even in the desert.

I am tempted to take Amtrak from Seattle to Portland, and make notes on my maps as to RR yards (could be trouble there, esp if disaster might involve terrorists), overpasses and trestles, rivers, swamps and low-lying areas that a tsunami might affect (a possible after-affect of an earthquake). Of course, I would probably be dragged off the train as a suspected terrorist... laugh

Another thing that could make or break your escape is knowing (or not) what you are likely to encounter along the way. Doing a dry run by car could be well worth the time and gas. Surprises during/after a disaster could be a .... well.... a disaster.

Don't depend on just one plan. Try to give yourself several options, several directions, several targets. Sometimes getting home right away just isn't possible. Aim for friends or relatives.

The Bronx... sheesh!

Sue

#145255 - 08/22/08 02:28 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: comms]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
Comms, I agree with you. I have dedicated my life to serving others in THEIR time of need. In defence of Alligator, I can not save anyone else if I can not save myself. I am not sure if that is what he was getting at, but that is the question he posted. I would probably take a step back from the situation first (it may be a HUGE step) but anyone that knows me can attest that I will be one of the first ones back in there as soon as I assess the situation.

Alligator, the only one that can say what "equipment or supplies" you may need can only be determined by you and how you perseive the event you are envisioning. Try different things - keep the stuff that makes sence, ditch the stuff that doesn't. Do a little Nursing critical thinking and you will come out fine.

#145256 - 08/22/08 02:30 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: aligator]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
There's kind of an old saying about the best way to get away with something is to look like you belong there. I work in the construction industry and have to occasionally go to job sites to check layouts or measure as-built diminsions. I carry an orange safety vest and a hard hat for those times. An orange safety vest and hard hat is the "uniform" for construction workers, highway workers, and all of the public utilities from water/wastewater to subway maintenance. You'd be amazed at the places you can walk into without a second glance or question.

In a SHTF situation you could probably walk out of areas that are being shut down just because you look like you have a job to do.....you look like you're there to help fix the situation.

#145261 - 08/22/08 02:41 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: lukus]
Air_Pirate Offline
It looked easier on TV!
Journeyman

Loc: Memphis, TN
SockPuppet, as far as customizing your clothes, have you looked at Duluth Trading Company's Presentation Jacket? It comes in several materials and colors, and already has a ton of pockets sewn into them.

#145262 - 08/22/08 02:42 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: lukus]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"An orange safety vest and hard hat is the "uniform" for construction workers, highway workers, and all of the public utilities ... You'd be amazed at the places you can walk into without a second glance or question."

Don't forget the clipboard and the PO'd expression.

Sue

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.