The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#145362 - 08/22/08 04:55 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Air_Pirate]
Colourful Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Yukon
How about making your car look like a utility company vehicle? Keep a kit in the trunk, put vinyl stripes, fake company name, ID numbers, magnetic light kit, etc, and look like you're on a mission...

#145366 - 08/22/08 05:14 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Colourful]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Colorama
How about making your car look like a utility company vehicle? Keep a kit in the trunk, put vinyl stripes, fake company name, ID numbers, magnetic light kit, etc, and look like you're on a mission...

That's not too much of a problem, I still have my lights from back in my volunteer EMS/Fire days. Jim

#145402 - 08/22/08 09:39 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: aligator]
Air_Pirate Offline
It looked easier on TV!
Journeyman

Loc: Memphis, TN
I wear a uniform to work everyday anyway so I think I'd be able to get to where I need to go anyway. On top of that, I've almost figured out the "offroad" way home using utility tracks. That'll keep me out of everyone's way and vice/versa.

#145417 - 08/22/08 10:29 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: aligator]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
One thing to consider is a stout walking stick or something like that. Nothing too obvious, but strong enough to be used as a self-defense weapon.

Somewhere in a recent post, someone had a link to an "unbreakable" umbrella (sorry I can't find the link at the moment). Consider something like that.

There you are walking along with your quaint stick or umbrella; no one would think you have a weapon in you hand.

Just a thought...

#145419 - 08/22/08 10:37 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
*glares at my clipboard, making notes about Sue* We're watching you.

*laughs*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#145484 - 08/23/08 02:40 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: bws48]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
Ladies and Gents, Good evening. Thank you for your responses and time. Both very much appreciated.
I think we can agree, that there are times and places from which we must flee in order to survive. From the evac order to leave your home when threatened, by a fire or the like to political unrest to riots to roving gangs and looters post disaster, if we are home, perhaps we have a "bug out bag(s)" already to go. Perhaps, we bring our BOB(s) with us on vacation or when traveling, but do you really carry it everywhere? What if you were to be caught in need of it but out of reach? To my understanding, this is the roll of the E&E kit. It is a small kit that contains the bare minimum needed to assist you in moving from where you are to a safer place, I don't think it really matters what it is thats forcing you to run, just that it's a kit to help you get to a better place?

I recognize that this forum is about wilderness survival, but I'm willing to bet that most of us spend more time in the city, then we do in wilderness (unfortunately). It's still survival, just with fewer trees and a different species of predators. Thanks again. If anyone has anything further to add, please do.
Regards, Jim

#145488 - 08/23/08 02:47 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: aligator]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Actually, this forum is more about preparedness, not necessarily in the wilderness.

#145502 - 08/23/08 08:03 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Russ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Speaking for myself, based on the feedback and questions I have read for years here, a basic EDC (EveryDay Carry) should be within an arms reach at all times. I carry a small backpack with me where ever I go. Some people use fanny packs or jackets or maxipeditions or messenger bags. Its not the carrier but whats being carried.

That being said my less than one pound EDC is space blanket, mini-bic, fire steel, multiple fire starters, small knife, button compass, safety pins, duct tape, pencil, quart and sandwich zip locks, signal mirror...and I am probably forgetting something else...YES, photon light.

Also in my backpack is a 8L waterproof Sea To Summit bag, RSK Mk1, SAK (Swiss Army Knife)or similiar, map, full size compass, buff headsweat, bandana, sunglasses, small lip vaseline and sunscreen, moleskin, some bandaids, mag lite LED with duct tape on it, petzl e+lite, zippo lighter, piezo-lighter, light gloves, water container (nalogene, camelback or platapus. 2g thumb drive.

Everything I have listed equals maybe two pounds. At most three. Plus I carry a couple writing items like sharpies, pens, moleskin notepad. And whatever I specifically need for whats going on that day.

Every night I put my phone, wallet and keys in the pack, in the same spot in case I have to get it in the dark.

Edited by comms (08/23/08 08:04 AM)

#145509 - 08/23/08 10:34 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: comms]
Matt Offline

Loc: Texas
A book you might be interested in is:

PREPAREDNESS NOW!: An Emergency Survival Guide for Civilians and Their Families (Paperback)
by Aton Edwards (Author)

This book suggest equipment to carry. You can read the reviews on Amazon.com. I bought it and thought it had some good ideas.

Just a thought.

Matt

#145511 - 08/23/08 10:53 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: comms]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
There are several differences between urban and wilderness survival.

Darkness is more likely in an urban situation; if you are inside a building and there's a power cut, it's likely to get pitch dark. A lot of places have emergency lighting but I wouldn't rely on it. Where-as outdoors it's rarely truly dark. So carry a decent torch.

In urban environments you are more likely to be trapped inside a collapsed building. Further, the materials you're likely to have to deal with will be artificial: steel, brick, wires etc, and may be held together with screws or nails. This affects the tools you may need. A multitool with screwdrivers etc is good, and a hacksaw blade that can cut metal may be more useful than a woodsaw. I think a prybar, even a small one, can be more valuable in an urban environment than a wilderness one. A tin-opener will get you more food than snares.

There will be people around. This is mostly a good thing: it means you can call for help if you get injured or trapped. Carry a whistle. Also a cell phone: cities generally get good signal which you might not in remote areas. Other people may call on you for help so it's even more important than usual to carry spares. It's better to have two or three small torches than one big one, so you can give the spare ones to other people.

Lots of urban problems can be fixed by money. Carry spare money.

There will be dust. Carry a dust mask. I've read that in 9/11 the most valuable EDC were torch, whistle and dustmask.

There are things you are less likely to need. You probably won't need a signal mirror in a city. Tap water will likely either be pure enough to drink, or polluted by chemicals that a wilderness kit can't cope with. Fire-starting is rarely a problem. Likewise building a shelter when you are surrounded by buildings.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.