Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Sounds like someone got a 1D10T error

Mike

#146189 - 08/27/08 06:26 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: kd7fqd]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Just now reading the suggestions about having a pair of overalls handy. If you look like a regular working stiff, you can carry a nice BIG lunchbox full of useful stuff. I doublt that anyone would try to rip it off because they think they know what is in it.

Never try to look like a tourist. The city jackals aim for them first.

Sue

#146195 - 08/27/08 06:46 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Susan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Again I have to ask how many people were attacked while trying to escape the city in 9/11, New Orleans, Bay Area earthquake, etc...

Personally, I'd think a construction worker would more likely be carrying useful stuff in an emergency than white collar workers.

Plus I still can't imagine spending the time to change clothes if I'm trying to leave an area fast.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#146227 - 08/27/08 08:29 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Blast]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
I agree with Blast, Nobody is going to give a second thought to any body heading anywhere, If the brown stuff has already hit the blades, they are going to try to save themselfs, If this is a pre event departure, then again nobody will care .(just the normal rif-raf to contend with)

#146376 - 08/28/08 05:50 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: big_al]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
I for one haven't a clue what you are talking about. Why would you need to avoid people? In answer to your question. NO. There is no 'value in the concept of avoiding, or actively evading, ANY contact'. It's the most dangerous thing you can do. No one is going to come and rescue you if they don't know you are trapped in a fire, or pinned down by rubble in another 911.

An Escape and Evasion kit is what it says. If you are a soldier in enemy captivity or have Escaped from it and are now trying to Evade it again; you need stuff hidden on you, so you'll still have it after capture. If you aren't a criminal this is no use to you in the USA.
A Bug Out Bag is stuff to 'Bug Out' with. So you can grab it and leave quickly if you have to get away from a place.
Blast has told you what you need to walk out of a city.

The Sock

#146425 - 08/28/08 11:37 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: TheSock]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
There is a certain safety in numbers. If there is a major evac, what external support is available will be targeted where the most people are. It may also be that you can find people to team up with, which could be very helpful. I also think you will be less likely to be mugged/robbed with a lot of people watching; too much chance someone may help you. The bad guys like easy, safe targets: that is what bothers me about going off alone. As TheSock points out, if you yell "Help", there is no one to help, and you are an easy, isolated target.

So my default plan would be to stay in the crowd, and try not to stand out, especially if the crowd is going somewhere, say for example walking out of Manhattan into Brooklyn across one of the Bridges.

That being said, I would not abandon all sense and follow the crowd off a cliff. Nor would I willingly be confined to a 'refuge center' like the super dome during Katrina-- I would go off alone under those circumstances. That might call for some E&E.

Bottom line, IMO there is no one right scheme; you have to keep up your situational awareness. Trust your sixth sense; if it feels wrong, don't do it, even if you can't explain why.

#146439 - 08/29/08 01:12 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: bws48]
Air_Pirate Offline
It looked easier on TV!
Journeyman

Loc: Memphis, TN
The coolest, easily stashed, piece of E&E gear I've seen lately is the dog tag knife. Anyone else seen these? Better yet, anyone have one?

#146442 - 08/29/08 01:40 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Air_Pirate]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
$20 for an unstamped dogtag? It had better cut like crazy...

#146471 - 08/29/08 10:38 AM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
It won't.

I've seen people try to sharpen dog tags back to high school. None of them worked worth beans. What edge it would take, on the ones I've seen at least, were more of a scraper/butter knife level. Some people claim to have gotten better, but I want to know how well the edge held up to even the normal usage.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#146479 - 08/29/08 12:15 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Air_Pirate]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The coolest, easily stashed, piece of E&E gear I've seen lately is the dog tag knife. Anyone else seen these? Better yet, anyone have one?

Atwood Knife and Tool do some nice but spendy E@E kit.

http://www.atwoodknives.com/home/index.php

Lets not of course forget the old classic E&E kit, the venerable Commando wire saw by BCB.

http://www.bestglide.com/Wire_Saw_Info.html

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.