The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#146482 - 08/29/08 12:32 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
The one I found by googling was made of titaninum, maybe that would sharpen better than a regular tag. Won't find out tho, 'cuz I'm not gettin' one...

#146499 - 08/29/08 01:56 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: ironraven]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: ironraven
I've seen people try to sharpen dog tags back to high school. None of them worked worth beans. What edge it would take, on the ones I've seen at least, were more of a scraper/butter knife level.

While not technically a dog tag, I have a Boker Subcom F that is essentially the same size as a dog tag when closed, albeit somewhat heavier at 2.5 oz.

Jim

#146503 - 08/29/08 02:17 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Paragon]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I just picked up a fancy Atwrench from somebody on edcf....handy lil bugger. Pry bar, v-notch for pulling nails and stripping wires, bottle opener-5/16th wrench, and an ingenous cut out that is a muti wrench. 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, and 3/8. Pricey for what it is on a base level, but superbly made and finished. The price you pay for limited supply and excessive demand from a custom knife/tool/gadget maker.

-Bill Liptak

#146519 - 08/29/08 04:45 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: BillLiptak]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Is that what this thread is about? You think you are going to be forced to go into a shelter because you are wearing scrubs? When has this ever happened?
Or is it that you'll be told by your employer to stay at work because hurt people need help and you want to be able to sneak off and avoid the duty you took on with the uniform. If your family can't get medical help because the hospital staff near them are avoiding their duty too, you’ll be fine with that?
And what is wrong with standing out? If I could chose what to wear in a city in crisis, it'd be a neon orange suit so rescuers could see me and a backpack of gear. The only thing I'd possibly prefer to that is the uniform of a medic, cop or firefighter, like you are entitled to wear. They got a 'get out of trouble free' card when i wore the blue.
Who died in Katrina or on 911 because they had a backpack? I wear and carry backpacking gear to work. People think it's amusing. At no point has anyone tried to mug me for them when we had the London bombings.
What WILL get you arrested is impersonating an emergency services worker as you plan to, with your EMS/Fire lights. When they find the weapons and Breaking and Entering gear you are thinking of carrying you'll be heading for a cell.
No offence but I don't think you've thought this through. You want to be james bond so you won't be frogmarched to a shelter, but are worried they then won't let you in because you have a SAK? You think the authorities are going to tell you to evacuate your home because of a forest fire and then arrest you for doing so?
These roaming gangs of looters and martial laws forcing you into shelters don't exist. Been a long time since there were any riots in the US too hasn't it? And they'll be looting shops full of expensive goods, not chasing people so poor they carry gear to work in a backpack.
I think you are mixing up an E & E kit and a Bug out Bag. See my definitions in previous post.
An E & E kit needs concealing because it's what you have on you after being searched. At least that's the theory. The people capturing you would be soldiers and policemen themselves;they'll be looking in the same places they'd use. It's really a chance to sell miniature gear to soldiers. When did you last hear of an escaped POW who wasn't searched when captured?
There is no reason to conceal a BOB. Doing so can only add to your problems.
Funny story; an idiot I knew forgot to empty his belt of the little bits and pieces: spare money, wire and cord for repairs, padded tape for blisters, spare torch batteries etc that he carried there, when he was flying last month. This innnocent possibles belt had a slightly different appearance to the airport security. Imagine my errr.. i mean 'his' reaction when he heard someone say "boss this one has batteries and wires concealed in a secret compartment in his belt".
You'll find cops have the same reaction to concealed items. Especially if they are 'night vision/thermal imaging, lock picks, window punches'.
The Sock
The Sock

#146555 - 08/29/08 10:23 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: JohnN]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: JohnN

Personally, if you had to scale it down to the size you could have on your person at all times, you might be better off a with a heavy duty screwdriver.
The fancy key-ring prybars - the Atwoods etc - tend to function as heavy duty screwdrivers, often with other features too.

Not cheap, but I see them as a kind of jewellery for men. I don't mind spending money on something that's going to be with me always, especially if it buys me quality. I think it's worth using titanium for lightness, for example. That said, I don't currently carry one because I carry a Leatherman Juice instead, which I hope will be enough.

Edited by Brangdon (08/29/08 11:56 PM)

#146561 - 08/29/08 10:35 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Brangdon]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
[quote=JohnN]
Personally, if you had to scale it down to the size you could have on your person at all times, you might be better off a with a heavy duty screwdriver./quote]The fancy key-ring prybars - the Atwoods etc - tend to function as heavy duty screwdrivers, often with other features too.

Not cheap, but I see them as a kind of jewellery for men. I don't mind spending money on something that's going to be with me always, especially if it buys me quality. I think it's worth using titanium for lightness, for example. That said, I don't currently carry one because I carry a Leatherman Juice instead, which I hope will be enough.

I personally don't see it as jewellery for men. The 4 atwoods i have, i use two very often (atwrench and Bug out bar) and see a lot of action. The more mature peter's tools get, IMO the more professional and useful they get. I have two of his tools that I don't use, his flat ti keyton (got it as a freebie) and his mini card knife with leather sheath (bought on a whim - used twice).

I guess its how you use them...

#146563 - 08/29/08 10:39 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: Brangdon]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I was just thinking that the Atwoods tend to be very short (less leverage) and the handle of a screwdriver would help you apply more power as well.

That said, the little Atwoods have the advantage of being smaller and more compact, so easier to have with you all the time. And as you said, they are pretty darn cool.

*That* said, personally, I have a small prybar (~8") in my EDC pack, a medium sized bar in my earthquake bag under my desk at work, a 15" by my seat in my car, and a full size in the trunk.

If I *still* manage not to have something to pry with, I'll have to make due with my RSK. ;-)

-john

#146566 - 08/29/08 10:52 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: JohnN]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
JohnN... very good points and agree with all.

#146574 - 08/29/08 11:31 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: JohnN]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You can make a halfway decent prybar from a larger (at least 3/8-1/2") allen wrench. Grind the ends to a flat point. Pretty tough, not too expensive, a little heavy...

#146577 - 08/29/08 11:46 PM Re: Urban E&E Kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I’ve always found an allen wrench somewhat brittle. Very seldom have I broken one, but I use to work at a machine shop that also assembled factory equipment and hardly a day went by without some guy over stressing an allen wrench and breaking it.

I think a pry bar needs to be a bit flexible, a somewhat softer metal then what is used in allen wrenches.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.