Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#144603 - 08/18/08 03:41 PM Acceptable Outdoor Childhood Pursuits
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Last Friday I was doing some sea fishing at bottom of cliffs just outside Arbroath (east coast of Scotland) with some friends. Nice day out, we caught some mackeral and ling cod and watched the dolphins swim by and Typhoons fly by. About half way through the day a group of local children had turned up (it being the local school holidays) and proceeded to jump the cliffs into the sea (about 60-80 feet in height) in much the same way as in this youtube video. There was no aldult supervision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxK88kV6A4c

It was good to see the games console generation hasn't taking over completely. whistle

#144611 - 08/18/08 05:00 PM Re: Acceptable Outdoor Childhood Pursuits [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
I think you guys are way too hard on the so called video game generation.

#144612 - 08/18/08 05:12 PM Re: Acceptable Outdoor Childhood Pursuits [Re: Nishnabotna]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Acceptable to me. Every kid should have the chance to be adventurous and have fun smile

#144619 - 08/18/08 06:18 PM Re: Acceptable Outdoor Childhood Pursuits [Re: Todd W]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My inlaws claim we are "careless" with our children when they see the bumps and bruises from playing outdoors. their belief is children should sit quietly in front of the TV and they wonder why I don't let them babysit.

#144646 - 08/18/08 08:42 PM Re: Acceptable Outdoor Childhood Pursuits [Re: ]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
never broke an arm or leg, but fingers and toes, yeah. Dad always thought gettting brused falling off things, or running into things was part of childhood. I do know I did get bruised more than a few times when Dad took me outside and taught me "to learn how to fall" - saved more than a few bruises later - he even taught me how to do a PLF
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#144664 - 08/18/08 10:33 PM Re: Acceptable Outdoor Childhood Pursuits [Re: KG2V]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
My dad didn't spend a lot of time in my life; he was always too busy. But he passed on enough, I think.

Splinter? You want me to take it out, or can you? [After the first big, painful production with dad, we always just took care of splinters on our own.]

Fishing? Hiking alone in the mountains? Building fires? Here's a pocket knife your grandfather gave me, just don't tell your mother.

Bleeding? Rub clean dirt in it, the bleeding will stop, wash up with soap and water after a while. If it gets infected let me know. Infected? That's good, your immune system is getting stronger. Let me know if you get fever or have stranger than usual dreams. Fever or really strange dreams? Good that shows your body is really fighting something and getting stronger. Let me look in your eyes, take your pulse, check your throat, and check that fever. Here better come see me at breakfast and dinner to take these pills, or, You're fine, go play.

My dad is a Harvard Med grad and retired vascular surgeon. Between garage surgery to spay and neuter the pets, and visits when he took me to the hospital labs and pathology departments I learned at least two things: my dad did his best to show me his love, and I never wanted to be a doctor because that took my dad away too much.

I hope enough kids find a way to spend time goofing off outside, getting cuts and bruises and splinters making the same mistakes we did. I worry that zero-tolerance for mistakes and pain inhibits kids from developing judgment and confidence. And, too many lawsuits.

Edited by dweste (08/18/08 10:35 PM)

#144691 - 08/19/08 02:01 AM Re: Acceptable Outdoor Childhood Pursuits [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Surviving an active childhood can creat a stonger adult...

#144694 - 08/19/08 02:15 AM Re: Acceptable Outdoor Childhood Pursuits [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I certainly hope kids don’t do some of the things I did when I was a kid, they would take the kid and parents to court over some of it. eek

It seems lots of things are acceptable outdoor behavior in kids other then chopping a few branches off a pine tree.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#144809 - 08/19/08 08:07 PM Re: Acceptable Outdoor Childhood Pursuits [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
OIMO Offline
Opinion Is My Own
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Sounds good to me, assuming they have the sense to check the water is deep enough before the first one jumps off the cliff!

OIMO

#144921 - 08/20/08 01:33 PM Re: Acceptable Outdoor Childhood Pursuits [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...how's your 2nd?...

You never can remember what you had for breakfast that day...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.