Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#144838 - 08/19/08 11:13 PM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: ironraven]
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: ironraven

Instant mashed potatoes with bacon bits,

Ditto on that,

For light weight food to heat on the trail that will stick to your ribs, instant mashed potatoes with bacon bits are cheaper and better tasting than much of the fancy Backpacker Food. And available at the local grocery store.

Bacon bits are light weight and can be added to all kinds of stuff to add flavor. I like to add to grits. Also good in rice, couscous, scrambled eggs ...

Another variation on this is to put beef jerky in a food processor (before the trip) and reduce it to something that looks about like coffee grounds. Store in a zip lock bag . Put the ground jerky in with the amount of water you need for your instant potatoes. Heat and stir in the instant potato mix.

#144861 - 08/20/08 01:21 AM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: BobS]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Provident Pantry does a big, one pound can. Alpine Aire does little pouches. Save money, and look for it in a baker's supply or health food store. Any place where you could get butter and cheese powder (NOT Butter Buds and nuke orange sprinkle on popcorn flavor, but the real stuff) should have it if it is a catalog or online, if a brick and mortar, they should be able to order it.

Mix it 1-1-2 or 1-1-3 with sugar cane juice and cocoa powder, and add enough water or milk to make a syrup. Yummy on ice cream.

I also sometimes throw a pinch into cheese cake (if I don't just simply put in a spoonful of the real stuff), or home made ice cream. Or into a shake, rather than malt powder, wonderfully different and very good.

And for those of you who have seen my picture, is there any wonder I'm always equipped with survival rations?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#144862 - 08/20/08 01:25 AM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: Ron]
turbo Offline

Loc: Oregon
Main coarse for breakfast, lunch, and dinner home smoked salmon, sturgon or bison. Extremely rich and filling. Fruit is home dried huckle berries, blue berries, apples, bananas, dates, or bing cherries. Instant potatoes, rice, hard tack, or pilot biscuits take care of the rest. I also uses various spices including dried mushrooms but I am very carful to use them in small amounts since they can produce serious odoriferous results.

#144879 - 08/20/08 03:50 AM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: AROTC]
LED Offline
Veteran

Man you guys know how to eat. Got nothin to add except a pretty simple pasta dish. Bowtie Pasta, Canned Salmon, Fresh Garlic, Olive oil, Butter, Fresh Rosemary, lots of Capers. And of course a cold beer.

#144885 - 08/20/08 06:05 AM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: Ron]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Originally Posted By: Ron

Another variation on this is to put beef jerky in a food processor (before the trip) and reduce it to something that looks about like coffee grounds. Store in a zip lock bag . Put the ground jerky in with the amount of water you need for your instant potatoes. Heat and stir in the instant potato mix.

That reminds me, here's a "Good Eats" episode on how to make beef jerky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJfuVl0BBlA It also talks about making beef stew from beef jerky. I haven't made either (I don't own a box fan, or a dehydrator). But it sounds delicious.

#145012 - 08/20/08 10:09 PM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: sockpuppet
squab?

Poor folk eat pigeon, hobos sky rat. The rich and fancy eat squab. As words go, it's more shiny. *grin*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#145030 - 08/21/08 12:12 AM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: AROTC]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I always roast garlic. It's yummy and a super easy flavour boost for anything from Day 1 steak and potatoes, to Day 7 pitas. Just trim off the top, pour on a smidgen of olive oil, wrap it in tin foil and throw it on the coals for a while. You'll know it done when it squishes a bit when you squeeze it. mmmMMMMMM

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#145042 - 08/21/08 12:51 AM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Thanks for reminding me about carry tin foil. Put a fresh caught/cleaned fish in tin foil with a few veggies like dried bell pepper, onion, shrooms) and bake it over an open fire for about 30 minutes.

You'll be bringing back things that you hadn't even thought about stealing!!!! Now that's GOOD!!!!!

#145058 - 08/21/08 02:17 AM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: wildman800]
Air_Pirate Offline
It looked easier on TV!
Journeyman

Loc: Memphis, TN
The best steamed fish I've ever had, was fish steamed in coconut milk instead of water. As far as campfire food I learned how to dry out ground beef so that it will last for awhile. Then I take hamburger helper (without the box). Works great.

#145074 - 08/21/08 03:54 AM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: Air_Pirate]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Pot roast in one dutch oven, cherry cobbler in the other.

Sue

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.