Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#144725 - 08/19/08 11:24 AM Favorite Campfire Meal?
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I was sitting down to eat tonight (grilled, but not over a campfire), and I began thinking about campfire cooking. I personally like kebabs, or pancakes. Both are easy to make, the one only requires skewers the other a frying pan and a bowl (or cup) to mix batter in. What do other people go for when they cook over a campfire?

#144734 - 08/19/08 12:40 PM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: AROTC]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have always been partial to fresh caught fish...

#144741 - 08/19/08 12:51 PM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I'm really starting to like Dutch Oven cooking. Easy to do, fun to put together (chopping veggies and such) and VERY easy cleanup. The only problem is that if I want to have both the main meal and desert (cobbler!!) - and who wouldn't - then I'll need to buy a second oven.

#144746 - 08/19/08 01:08 PM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: KenK]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Biscuits and sausage gravy, eggs over easy, crispy fried tater tots, a pot of strong coffee.

It just doesn't get any better than that. Can't think of anything short of Miss September that'd be better to wake up to.

#144752 - 08/19/08 01:54 PM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: benjammin]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Pie irons with pizza filling, it doesn’t get any better.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#144764 - 08/19/08 03:27 PM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: AROTC]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
If I am car camping:

Supper (1st night) - Hamburger and Beans over rice in a dutch oven.
(1LB hamburger, chopped onion and bellpepper, 1 can of Pork & Beans, Tony Chacherie Seasoning, rice.)

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits (via dutch oven), and grits, salt and pepper seasoning.

Lunch - MRE or heated commercial C-Ration

If I am backpacking:

Supper - broiled fish (if I can catch them) or heated canned roast beef, heated canned beans/peas, baked potato, salt and pepper seasoning.

Breakfast - hard boiled eggs*, fresh grits, biscuits*, bacon, salt and pepper seasoning. (*-cooked/baked before leaving home)

Lunch - MRE or heated commercial C-Ration.

#144790 - 08/19/08 05:16 PM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I admit that when I am backpacking I eat dried foods like oatmeal, rice, beans. With some assorted dried fruits, hard breads, PB, gels. I try to eat a lot for the weight.

I will admit that I have no finesse in cooking on any platform bigger than my camp stove. I am a mess in a kitchen, absent at the grill and well....its doesn't take any brains to char a dead animal over a fire, so I am okay there.

#144803 - 08/19/08 06:49 PM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: comms]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Pancakes are good - with real maple syrup.
Steak - marinated prior in wine and cooked bloody red rare.
Onions and mushrooms and garlic in foil with a bit of butter and Worcestershire sauce.

Bona Na Croin

#144826 - 08/19/08 10:15 PM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Do we make you hungry, SP?

I have a hard time chosing.....

*grins*

Freeze dried corn, rehydrated with a bit of lime juice crystals, dried chilies and butter powder. This goes great with fish, crawdads or partridge or squab.

Instant mashed potatoes with bacon bits, a trail stable cheese, and powdered sour cream and butter. I throw sunflower seeds into the mix, but I throw sunflower seeds into almost everything.

Chili or beef/chipolte ramen, with some canned chicken or rehydrated beef jerky, a packet of bbq sauce, and a big charge of peanut butter. Tabasco to taste, if you want to insult the chef. Way better than it sounds- peanut sauce is much more common over seas. Alternately, use beef or chicken non-spicy ramen, with curry powder, and a pinch of dried but unsweetened coconut. Very good.

Hard sausage, hard cheese, and hard boiled egg sliced and piled on a bagel or english muffin.

Couscous with veggies and mushrooms, hydrated in the bullion of your choice, and a small packet of extra virgin olive oil. With a sizzling kebab.

Corn bread turned into a cake- rich with butter, cinnamon, sugar, fresh apples, pears or berries. Or well drained canned pineapple.

Fresh baked dutch oven bread (Red Mill mixes are great for this) with butter or bacon grease. If with dinner, plenty of dried garlic and onion soaked in a little red wine, bullion or *shudders* water, mixed into it at the batter stage.

Whole wheat noodles with a packer's red sauce- tomato powder, dried onion and garlic, dried mushrooms, and salami and/or pepperoni.

If I'm not really cooking, just pour a packet of Idahoan instant potatoes, a can of chicken or ham, crushed ramen and their seasoning packet, and a package of gravy mix into the pot, with enough hot water to get it to your texture of choice. Let it sit for five minutes, check the texture, add water if needed. Ate a LOT of this in the dorms, to.

In winter, the cold becomes your friend. Corn bread and either a THICK chili (maybe made with beef, chicken, AND ham, with plenty of rice) or jagd (a red beans and rice mix, spiced, with a lot of onion, a little red wine and plenty of good beef or pork sausage)- freeze it, park it by the fire over night, have it for breakfast.

So... how's the hungry treating you, Sockpuppet? *evil grin*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#144835 - 08/19/08 10:53 PM Re: Favorite Campfire Meal? [Re: ironraven]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: ironraven
powdered sour cream and butter.

Where do you find powdered sour cream?

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.