Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#144508 - 08/18/08 12:03 AM Kids building a debris shelter...
red Offline

On our family reunion I had the opportunity to teach some teenager (and under) kids how to build a debris shelter. They took to it with gusto, and although we ran out of time, it was beginning to take a nice shape. They started out with too short a ridge pole, though, so we named it the Hobbit Hut.

I guess the next generation isn't lost, yet.

#144509 - 08/18/08 12:09 AM Re: Kids building a debris shelter... [Re: red]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Cool!!

Looks a helluva lot better than anything I built as a kid.

Good job teaching the younglings. You very may well have ended up saving one of their lives in the future...

"I remember when I was a kid and we had this crazy uncle that taught us...."

#144510 - 08/18/08 12:09 AM Re: Kids building a debris shelter... [Re: samhain]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

At least the dog will have a place to sleep.

#144513 - 08/18/08 12:28 AM Re: Kids building a debris shelter... [Re: red]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i always cringe when i see live pine used in "try out"
shelters..

#144518 - 08/18/08 01:24 AM Re: Kids building a debris shelter... [Re: CANOEDOGS]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

shelters..

The funny thing about trees, they are a renewable resource. Plant a seed, add water and time and you have another tree. The lumber industry (and everyone that has a home) depends on this.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#144523 - 08/18/08 01:41 AM Re: Kids building a debris shelter... [Re: CANOEDOGS]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

shelters..

No need to cringe. I taught the kids to take just a couple of boughs from each tree. As you can plainly see, the wood used for the frame was dead-fall.

A tree missing one or two boughs, as I'm sure you know, will not hurt that tree's lifespan.

I guess I need to include the following disclaimer: No trees were seriously harmed during this exercise. Maybe the tree union will want to sue.

#144531 - 08/18/08 02:29 AM Re: Kids building a debris shelter... [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: sockpuppet
Quote:
The funny thing about trees, they are a renewable resource. Plant a seed, add water and time and you have another tree.

If it were that simple, then the worlds forests wouldn't be vanishing. I agree it is good to teach kids a skill or two, but I also agree that you should not use live wood unless totally necessary. Building a brush shelter is not rocket science after all. Once the frame is up it is easy enough to use dead wood and then imagine how it would look with live limbs covering it.

I don’t think that we are in danger of trees becoming extinct. There are a large number of trees out there, even in a city. My work takes me into high-rise apartments, and looking out from 10-floors above the city, it’s amazing how many trees there are in the city. They block you from seeing streets and a lot of houses. You would never think this because of the message put out that we are destroying the planet. I question and don’t buy into this message of mankind as the destroyer of the planet.

If you live in a home and it has wood in it, you through your action of buying and living in said home condone trees being cut down.

And it is as simple as planting more trees, the forest industry is the number one planter of trees in this country. Like I said trees are a renewable resource.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#144532 - 08/18/08 02:53 AM Re: Kids building a debris shelter... [Re: BobS]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
+1 BobS. A couple boughs to prove a point is nothing. I've seen more damage done by one animal in rutting season than that project

#144533 - 08/18/08 02:57 AM Re: Kids building a debris shelter... [Re: comms]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
...oh and to get this thread back on track...great teaching opportunity and i bet much talked about the rest of the time there

#144538 - 08/18/08 03:18 AM Re: Kids building a debris shelter... [Re: BobS]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: BobS
I question and don’t buy into this message of mankind as the destroyer of the planet.

I'll take us back off track again... way off track. laugh

There are currently 6.6 billion people alive on this planet. This number will only continue to rise. We are the top of the food chain. We have no natural predators keeping our numbers in check. Our industry enables us to consume and pollute at an unprecedented rate.

The Earth took 4.5 billion years to evolve into its current balance, and we have begun changing that balance in a mere 100 years. As our numbers grow, so will our industry, and so in turn our consumption and pollution will grow as well. There is no question that the human species will destroy this planet unless we are able to recognize the inevitable future and do what is necessary to change our course.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 458 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.