Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Originally Posted By: Rodion
Yes. (see avatar)

Hey, is that an IDF approved uniform?

#143991 - 08/13/08 02:21 AM Re: Does anyone have? [Re: Art_in_FL]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Even bird shot might be good enough because their eyes are exposed and, evidently, pretty vulnerable.

But they move so fast that you would be lucky to be that accurate. I'll take slugs.

#143993 - 08/13/08 02:25 AM Re: Does anyone have? [Re: SWeddig]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, there was a couple of hill walkers who had to be rescued by a Coastguard helicopter in the Scottish Orkney Islands on Monday after being attacked by some Sea birds (Great Skuas). Is this what you are refering to?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7555812.stm

#144005 - 08/13/08 03:09 AM Re: Does anyone have? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
So far I have neglected defense against dinosaurs.

Particularly the mid-sized feathered dinosaurs. Jurassic Park got it wrong. In the unlikely event it becomes an issue I'm thinking triple ought buck and sabot slugs should provide some level of deterrence and control. Even bird shot might be good enough because their eyes are exposed and, evidently, pretty vulnerable.

Lacking that simply hamstringing the expendable guy in the group should provide enough time to get away. It always pays to have one or two in every group who are expendable. Star Trek had red shirts. We have Phil.

But remember the old poker adage: 'If you look around the table and can't spot the pigeon ... your it'.

Don't be the red shirt in your group.

Reminds me of the gamer adage, "I don't have to be faster than the dragon, I just have to be faster than you *trip*"

#144028 - 08/13/08 11:20 AM Re: Does anyone have? [Re: Crowe]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Y'know, seems to me that my little concoction would work just fine on raptors as it does on zombies, trees, rocks, houses, cars...

Cannisters of HFl3, yep, a little dab'll do ya!!!

Trying to get the drop on them is futile. Better to use a deterrant, such as T-Rex urine.

#144034 - 08/13/08 11:44 AM Re: Does anyone have? [Re: benjammin]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Trying to get the drop on them is futile. Better to use a deterrant, such as T-Rex urine.

Speaking of pee... I noted with interest that one of the groups in the Alaska Project on Discovery channel collected urine to mark around their cabin.

They noted that it did nothing to affect the movements of the bears, but the wolves who previously were wandering around right outside their cabin, stayed about 100 yards away after they made their urine perimeter.

So it was interesting to note that different animals will react differently to urine marks.

Cheers,

Tom A.

#144045 - 08/13/08 01:13 PM Re: Does anyone have? [Re: TomApple]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Depends on where in the food chain the urine comes from. With bears in Alaska, what would they possibly fear? Most of the time they associate human smells with possible food anyways, thanks to the foolishness of many. Wolves not being quite the insatiable omnivores that bears are, and generally having mostly bad experiences with humans, it just makes sense.

Now, if you get something that starts chasing down and eating bears on a regular basis, that might be worth collecting. Of course then we have another new link in the food chain to contend with, eh?

Maybe Bigfoot pee might work???

#144052 - 08/13/08 01:58 PM Re: Does anyone have? [Re: SWeddig]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Got a Remington 870 with slugs and 00 buck, will that work???

#144054 - 08/13/08 02:02 PM Re: Does anyone have? [Re: benjammin]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Based on the extreme rarity of said bigfoot, I would have to say that bigfoot is not a very successful predator. Not successful enough to breed, anyways.

#144060 - 08/13/08 02:20 PM Re: Does anyone have? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry

Based on the extreme rarity of said bigfoot, I would have to say that bigfoot is not a very successful predator. Not successful enough to breed, anyways.

I bet there's a government research grant in there somewhere. You could propose setting up unisex sasquatch urinals in the woods to collect bigfoot pee.

Supposedly some guys are going to prove the existence of Bigfoot this Friday by producing an actual body.

Getting back to urine and bears. I just wonder if all large mammals necessarily react to urine of other animals. Perhaps bears just don't care and wolves do. Do bears mark their territory with urine? I thought they claw a tree or something to mark their territory.

Perhaps there is some other scent that would deter bears, just as the smell of grape bubble gum deters geese.

Tom A.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 334 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.