Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#143821 - 08/12/08 04:56 AM Re: Basic survival skills? [Re: AROTC]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

I have recently watched a Massad Ayoob video on surviving gunfights. He said the keys to this are:

Awareness
Tactics
Skill
Equipment

My own little rules for the day are:

Keep your head
Stay focused
Anticipate what is likely to happen so as to be better prepared.

#143843 - 08/12/08 12:38 PM Re: Basic survival skills? [Re: big_al]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
So I started this out thinking more or less of specific skills that a person should be able to do, but of course the mental side of survival isn't nearly that simple. So what I've kind of come to after reading everyone's posts is there are three rough (and someone overlapping) categories of mental survival skills: mindsets, habits and skills/techniques. I came up with five mindsets and habits and ten skills.

Mindsets:
Face adversity with a can do attitude
Think of your family/love ones and fight to get back to them or keep them alive
Love of the natural world (at least for wilderness survival)
Willingness to learn from mistakes
Keep your head in an emergency (or apparent emergency) and listen to input (even from people you don't necessarily like)

Habits (some of these are also skills, but ones you need to practice constantly):
Cleanliness and organization
Plan
Question everything
Observe
Curiosity

Skills/techniques (these are just the end states, for many I think you should have at least two techniques to achieve the end):
Fire
Meteorology
First Aid
Navigation
Stay warm
Cook
Purify Water/Obtain water
Sew/repair/sharpen
Build shelter
Signal

The skills at least mirror the ten essentials pretty well. Not completely, but basically the same. The skills are also geared toward wilderness survival, but I think they're more or less useful anywhere.

#143847 - 08/12/08 12:56 PM Re: Basic survival skills? [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...A fit and conditioned body is better able to cope with cold, fatigue and pain..."

I am gonna be in a world of hurt!!!

#143855 - 08/12/08 02:04 PM Re: Basic survival skills? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

MD must have seen the movie "King Rat"..

#143856 - 08/12/08 02:05 PM Re: Basic survival skills? [Re: AROTC]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
A sense of humor.

This may sound glib and superficial but it does several things:

1) Stress reducer both yours and others around you.

2) Requires paying attention (if you aren't paying attention, you're going to miss a good joke opportunity and the snake you're about to step on).

3) Requires looking at things a little differently which opens up opportunities (the "hey that rock looks like my mother-in-law" may actually draw your attention to spring trickling out from under it)

I remember a Magnum PI episode where he was stranded out at sea and had a shark circling him. He gave the shark a name and talked to it (which to me watching the show as a adolescent was funny as hell).

I've used that tactic with my daughter for the "monsters under the bed" when she was little. I had her picture the monster wearing something funny ( a pink tu-tu), and make it clean up her room (that monster always did a lousy job at cleaning).

#143864 - 08/12/08 02:36 PM Re: Basic survival skills? [Re: samhain]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: samhain

I remember a Magnum PI episode where he was stranded out at sea and had a shark circling him. He gave the shark a name and talked to it (which to me watching the show as a adolescent was funny as hell).

I've used that tactic with my daughter for the "monsters under the bed" when she was little. I had her picture the monster wearing something funny ( a pink tu-tu), and make it clean up her room (that monster always did a lousy job at cleaning).

And here I was, thinking that you were calling your daughter a shark... till I finished that sentence.

#143872 - 08/12/08 03:08 PM Re: Basic survival skills? [Re: comms]
jcurphy Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted By: comms
Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales is a great resourse for that question.

PMA = Positive Mental Attitude - often the difference between life and death.

Also, cultivating a Zen Mind, or beginner's mind so you don't rule out the infinite possibilities.

#143899 - 08/12/08 04:42 PM Re: Basic survival skills? [Re: jcurphy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Survival equipment is stuff that if used properly can aid in promoting survival.

Survival techniques are those tasks that, when done properly, result in beneficial outcomes intended to promote survival.

Survival skills are knowing how and when to use the equipment and techniques to generate the desired outcome.

Survival mentality accepting that facing a difficult situation is inevitable, and adequately preparing for the potential that all the above will be necessary, and taking the time to acquire the equipment, learn the techniques, and develop the skills so that when the time comes, we are equipped and ready, both mentally and physically to accomplish the objective, which is to survive.

Survival skills, in their order of importance to me, are as follows:

1. Planning ahead

2. Identifying equipment and techniques that provide the best chance of success.

3. Recognizing value for money.

4. Networking, studying the subject matter continously, and regular practice.

5. Staying fit enough to endure.

Those are the top five, anyways.

#143902 - 08/12/08 04:54 PM Re: Basic survival skills? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...A fit and conditioned body is better able to cope with cold, fatigue and pain..."

I am gonna be in a world of hurt!!!

Ditto!

(though I am working on it slowly and painfully)

#144019 - 08/13/08 07:41 AM Re: Basic survival skills? [Re: ]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
This is something my dad, says, "There are no survival skills, just life skills." He uses this in relation to lots of things, but I tend to think about it with respect to cooking. But when I was in high school, I was thoroughly annoyed that my economics class was mostly concerned with nations and wide sweeping theory rather then how to calculate compound interest on a car loan or balance a check book. These are truly life skills and I think at least half the semester should have been spent on it. Instead all we learned was Keynesian theory. Big deal, I'll never be leader of the World Bank, but I definitely will have a check book and credit card and probably a car and house loan.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.