The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#143321 - 08/08/08 08:56 PM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
rly45acp Offline
Stranger

Loc: SW Indiana
Here's an interesting article I found. While not specific to Neosporin, and though it contains numerous typos, it is still appropriate to this discussion:

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~bio/mittermeyer/BIO216/control.html

#143326 - 08/08/08 09:38 PM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
For us lightweight backpackers, I recommend using a plastic Ziploc type bag full of filtered or treated water with one or two iodine swabs added, waiting ten minutes, putting a small pinprick hole in the bag, and squeezing.
Thanks for your post.

Would it be possible to just use iodine tablets (e.g. Potable Aqua) and dispense with the swabs? Would doubling (tripling? quadrupling?) the usual number of iodine tabs be sufficent for wound cleansing? I'd rather not carry the swabs since they can get compromised pretty easily if their packaging gets compromised (pretty common in a full backpack), plus I rotate my iodine tabs far more frequently since I'm also using them up when I'm out on the trail.

Of course, iodine tablets take a while to dissolve. Would the swabs infuse the water more quickly?

Darn good questions. The iodine is basically the same. So the tabs would work. There is a time/dose function with iodine. Higher doeses mean less waiting time, which is nice to know if you're letting your water sit overnight before drinking, because you can use much less. I don't have any forulae or tables for that, though.

For wound irrigating purposes, you'd want a much higher concentration than you'd need for drinking. The idea is to not forcibly inject waterborne cooties into the open wound as well as to clean out the nasties already in there. Since the swabs (I'm talkin' the little gauze squares here, not the big Q-tip things) hold liquid iodine, I'd suppose they infuse the water faster than tabs.

BTW, personally, I've given up on filters for most trips, and I've had good success using resublimated iodine crystals, much like "Polar Pure." Cheaper than the little pills, and easier to adjust the dose. I don't run into many of us iodine users anymore.

Jeff

#143329 - 08/08/08 10:08 PM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: Jeff_M]
rly45acp Offline
Stranger

BTW, personally, I've given up on filters for most trips, and I've had good success using resublimated iodine crystals, much like "Polar Pure." Cheaper than the little pills, and easier to adjust the dose. I don't run into many of us iodine users anymore.

Jeff [/quote]

Very interesting. I've been thinking of doing the same thing. The only reason I've stayed with the filters is to remove chemicals, but away from civilization, this may not be as important.

Why not start another thread and give us more info on your reasons, etc.? I'd sure be interested.

Edited by rly45acp (08/08/08 10:12 PM)

#143330 - 08/08/08 10:11 PM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: rly45acp]
rly45acp Offline
Stranger

Here is another link regarding non-antibiotic treatment of wounds. It's an easier read than the first.

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2004/february/Cooper/Topical-Antimicrobial-Agents.html

#143336 - 08/08/08 10:43 PM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: Henry_Porter]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well, if the germs don't get you, cats and dogs will lick you to death. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#143338 - 08/08/08 10:58 PM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: comms]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
If you can keep it sterile, your mix should be a good general purpose thing to have about. It should have a way decent job as an electrolyte booster.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#143341 - 08/08/08 11:05 PM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: ironraven]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: ironraven
If you can keep it sterile, your mix should be a good general purpose thing to have about. It should have a way decent job as an electrolyte booster.

Yeah. I suggest keeping the ingredients handy, and mix as needed, making it easier to keep clean/sterile.

Something every survival-oriented person should know, IMHO: Oral rehydration therapy.
http://rehydrate.org/solutions/index.html

Jeff

#143343 - 08/08/08 11:08 PM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: ironraven]
rly45acp Offline
Stranger

I spent the afternoon searching for articles on the efficacy of povidone iodine and hydrogen peroxide. It appears that these are not to be used for pressure ulcers and the like, but for cuts and such as we would see in our daily lives, about 50% said it's okay and 50% said it wasn't because it's citotoxic and has too much drying effect. As for flushing with saline, no article said anything but good things about this, so it appears to be the method of choice. This sure makes things easier for me, assuming I can find a good source for saline solution. I currently have about 11 Zerowet units on hand and this should provide me with the means to adequately flush wounds, though I think removing the syringe from the carton will make for a much smaller package.

It also appears that honey, particularly manuka honey from New Zealand or jelly bush honey from Australia, is actually being used to treat wounds in some clinical settings, including post-operative use. It has been proven to be effective against three types of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, including MRSA!

The other item worth noting was the repeated suggestion to use occlusive dressing, as they improved healing rates and prevented viral contamination. Those of you in the know can comment of any of this as you choose, as I am here to learn.

#143347 - 08/08/08 11:21 PM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: rly45acp]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: rly45acp

Jeff

Very interesting. I've been thinking of doing the same thing. The only reason I've stayed with the filters is to remove chemicals, but away from civilization, this may not be as important.

Why not start another thread and give us more info on your reasons, etc.? I'd sure be interested. [/quote]

The reason is simple:
I'm getting older and looking to shed weight (by any means other than dieting!). 3/4 lb is not insignificant in long-disatnce backpacking.
I'm usually alone so there's no one to share group gear with.
I was carrying the iodine anyway as a back-up since I've had or seen too many filters just break or quit.
I hike in places like the high Sierras or Canadian Rockies, where the water is pretty good.
Iodine is also viricidal, and yes, it will kill cysts like cryptosporidium or giardia lamblia, too (eventually).

Jeff

#143374 - 08/09/08 01:56 AM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: Arney]
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Well, I cannot help but be the one who asks.

Blast-(heavy sigh!) what on Earth have you done now?

Stargazer

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.