Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#142741 - 08/04/08 01:25 PM Re: Economic Issues [Re: MartinFocazio]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
I once again find myself treading, lightly, into a borderline area, which is sort of TEOTWAWKI-ish.

I've been working for a while on an article - and it's turning into a book - on the demise of the volunteer fire service in America.

I don't think many folks realize just how much of America's fire protection depends on the courage, commitment and personal sacrifice of our dedicated volunteer firefighters. I salute you for your service.

Good points on fire safety, too.

Good luck on your article/book. I follow this and related subjects, too, as an emergency services and healthcare attorney, firefighter/paramedic, and federal disaster responder, and I shre your concerns.

Jeff

#142742 - 08/04/08 01:28 PM Re: Economic Issues [Re: Blast]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Blast
In light of this what are your feelings on purchasing a firehose and hydrant wrench? I have a fire hydrant directly in front of my house and I've seen fire hoses on ebay...

911 response to our neighborhood has tradionally been slow and on a few occasions completely ignored. Yes, we are served by volunteer responders.

-Blast

That might go over better if you joined yor local VFD. Just a suggestion. You seem like the kind of person they'd like to recruit.

Jeff

#142743 - 08/04/08 01:29 PM Re: Economic Issues [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Think I feel strongly about that subject?..."

Why don't you tell us what you really thing about HOA's? smile smile smile

#142744 - 08/04/08 01:35 PM Re: Economic Issues [Re: Jeff_M]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
That might go over better if you joined yor local VFD. Just a suggestion. You seem like the kind of person they'd like to recruit.

What, me put OUT fires? grin

Sadly, I'm in exactly the position Martin is talking about. Multiple jobs, little time. However I am finally joining the local CERT response team. Training for that begins in Septmember, I'm really looking forward to it!

I figured the whole fire hose thing was a bad idea, but I didn't know for sure. Thanks for input, Martin. I am still going to approach the HOA about sponsering a fire extinguisher class. I've worked closely with them on some other preparedness stuff, I might have enough pull to get them aboard with this. No harm in trying anyway.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#142746 - 08/04/08 01:42 PM Re: Economic Issues [Re: MartinFocazio]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska

2. If you have/deal with an HOA, forget it. These little pockets of PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. demagoguery represent the worst of all possible scenarios for a free person, and if you're stuck in one, you're stuck living in a world that makes China look like like Sweden. Tracts governed by HOA's are the opposite of a real community. The little Goebels who aspire to run such institutions are the embodiment of the unseemly dark side of human nature, enforcing a conformist agenda of meek subservience to random authority as imposed by the subjective whims of a cabal of priggish busy-bodies. Acres of neatly trimmed lawns, each home with neutral and conforming architecture and paint, with nary a bicycle or play set visible in the front yard is a vision of a green hell.

Hmm. Think I feel strongly about that subject?

I knew I liked you.

#142747 - 08/04/08 01:53 PM Re: Economic Issues [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
On the one hand, the fireguys usually don't like people messing with their hydrants. On the other hand, it is YOUR house that is on fire, and they ain't there yet. But be advised, a 4" hoseline is a handfull, even for a big guy like you, 100 pushups or not, the first time you are on the end of one, alone. And you for sure want someone else to turn it on while you hang on to the nozzle end. Someone with some upper body strength, some hydrants are hard to open. I would also wonder about the quality of a firehose I got on e-bay. Might blow out the first time pressure hit it...

Nobody is using a 4" hose as a hand line, trust me. What you want is a properly sized gated "Y" valve between the hydrant and an 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 hose, with a reducer if necessary, and an adjustable nozzle. The Y valve will prevent the FD from losing a connection point, and the nozzle is essential to control water flow and pattern. This assumes that there is pressure in the hydrant and that the whole idea isn't illegal from the get go.

But I am by no means advocating it. There are lots of ways to get hurt around both fire and water under pressure that many folks might not be aware of. Consider volunteering with your local VFD, or at least checking with your local fire authorities. They may be able to pressure test your hose for you, or even give you some good surplus hose for a small donation.

That being said, sometimes a little water now is much better than a whole bunch of water later.

I've put a y valve in my pool pump line and my aux. generator is in the pump room. I've attached some small diameter hose for firefighting purposes. The electric pump doesn't have a lot of pressure or volume, but it is considerably better than a garden hose, and it will flow water when the power is out or the water pressure is down or off, as it would be if there were a major urban interface fire in my neighborhood, which borders on a nature preserve, after a hurricane, etc.

Jeff
Professional Firefighter

#142750 - 08/04/08 02:09 PM Re: Economic Issues [Re: MartinFocazio]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
2. If you have/deal with an HOA, forget it. These little pockets of PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. demagoguery represent the worst of all possible scenarios for a free person, and if you're stuck in one, you're stuck living in a world that makes China look like like Sweden. Tracts governed by HOA's are the opposite of a real community. The little Goebels who aspire to run such institutions are the embodiment of the unseemly dark side of human nature, enforcing a conformist agenda of meek subservience to random authority as imposed by the subjective whims of a cabal of priggish busy-bodies. Acres of neatly trimmed lawns, each home with neutral and conforming architecture and paint, with nary a bicycle or play set visible in the front yard is a vision of a green hell.

Hmm. Think I feel strongly about that subject?

Number 6 had a problem with his HOA, except the HOA wouldn't let him leave until he became Number 1. whistle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29JewlGsYxs&feature=related

#142752 - 08/04/08 02:15 PM Re: Economic Issues [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Number 6 had a problem with his HOA, except the HOA wouldn't let him leave until he became Number 1.

LOL! I love that show, still have them all on VHS...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#142753 - 08/04/08 02:23 PM Re: Economic Issues [Re: MartinFocazio]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Volunteer firefighters are also in shortage in mine country. We have also seen a decline in firefighters. Although the reason isn't because the volunteers need to work more hours to make enough money. The economy is still OK here. The problem here is that most people are working much further away from there homes. This means many fire stations have a lack of firefighters during the day. Also many people have to stop, because being a volunteer firefighters is like a part-time job, but without a decent pay. It's really hard on them and there families, to continue.

As for budget cuts, well they are also trying to cut costs here. Some are made by centrally organising things, like maintenance, buying equipment, training, etc. Which is not necessary bad, but some are also done by shutting fire stations down...

As for fire extinguishers, don't forget to mention fire blankets. They can be very effective, are simple to use and leaves a lot less mess.

#142759 - 08/04/08 02:40 PM Re: Economic Issues [Re: MartinFocazio]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
You want to experience the heat and noise and feel and smell of the process before you have to do it for real.

You haven't seen a grease fire until you've taken a 36" wok, filled it to the top with cooking oil and heated it until it auto-ignites. I had a summer job with a fire-protection company and that was one of the tests we had to pass for UL.

We had turnout gear for when the system under test failed (often), but they warned me that it was the old non-breathable type that would steam you in your own sweat if you got too close to the fire.

I don't know how volunteers manage it. Between one full time job and a family I don't have an extra minute to spare.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.