Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#143670 - 08/11/08 03:40 PM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: Fitzoid]
firefly99 Offline
Journeyman

I had standardized on CR123A because of their advantages. The main reason that push me towards CR123A is the leakage of normal batteries in devices.

Once there was a power failure and I was left in the dark. I had various sizes Mag lite (about 6) and none of them works. It was not due to flat battery but leakages and I had to dispose of all Mag. I also had other devices that were ruined by battery leakages.

With an inventory of 200~300 pieces of CR123A at home. I could easily carry several dozens of CR123A on my trips. So shops not selling CR123A is not an issue for me.

I am always on the lookout for CR123A devices, do let me know if you are aware of any GPS, walkie talkie that use CR123A. Thanks.

#143672 - 08/11/08 03:46 PM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: firefly99]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
200-300 CR123s at home?? Yikes!!

You do know they have been known to explode, especially when dropped or partially discharged batteries are mixed together in a device? (The least discharged battery will start charging the other battery. This is bad, as regular 123s are not meant to be recharged.)

I don't know what the current TSA ruling is, but they were banned from air travel in any great number.

#143676 - 08/11/08 03:54 PM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: Eugene]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Originally Posted By: BobS
I know about the discharge rate. I have a problem with them just pulling them off the charger and putting them in my camera right away and take pictures that day. Less then 20 pictures and they are dead. They should last longer then that. Energizer Company has some problems with the design. Energizer in my opinion screwed me, I won’t buy anything else from, they have cute commercials with the bunny, but it’s a farce.

I had a similar problem and I started researching and it turned out my charger wasn't fully charging the batteries, so you started out ay way less that full capacity and then self discharged the rest away. Mine was a raoyvac ps4 that I wasted $30 on when I could have paid $40 for a decent charger.

Never thought about the charger not working right, after all it’s somewhat new and made for NIMH batteries. I have a few older chargers made for NiCad batteries but I think the charge rate is wrong for NiMH. But then I don’t use any of the Energizers I have so it’s no big thing if they don’t charge right. But I don’t want them to leak and destroy the device I have them in.

I will see if my brother has a NiMH charger and barrow it to see if it charges them better then the one I have.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#143690 - 08/11/08 04:40 PM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: Fitzoid]
firefly99 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Fitzoid
You do know they have been known to explode, especially when dropped or partially discharged batteries are mixed together in a device? (The least discharged battery will start charging the other battery. This is bad, as regular 123s are not meant to be recharged.)

I don't know what the current TSA ruling is, but they were banned from air travel in any great number.

I am only aware of 2 ~ 3 incidents that CR123A exploded. This is against the backdrop of millions of CR123A batteries in use worldwide. All the explosions are due to a) inferior batteries (without built-in safety feature) b) mixing new & old(nearly exhausted) batteries in devices that draw a big current from the batteries.

TSA ban the shipping of CR123A in cartons. But carrying 1~2 dozen spare for your electronic devices should not be an issue.

#143700 - 08/11/08 05:12 PM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: firefly99]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: firefly99

I am always on the lookout for CR123A devices, do let me know if you are aware of any GPS, walkie talkie that use CR123A. Thanks.

There is the issue. I'm sure CR123A's are a fine standard is your gear consists on only flashlights. But if you have flashlights, radios, navigation, cameras, etc then you need somehting that can work in all of them.

#143714 - 08/11/08 05:47 PM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: Eugene]
firefly99 Offline
Journeyman

There is the issue. I'm sure CR123A's are a fine standard is your gear consists on only flashlights. But if you have flashlights, radios, navigation, cameras, etc then you need somehting that can work in all of them.

Sorry, I had enough of battery leakages to last me a lifetime. So standardizing on AA is out of the question for me. Currently, I am still struck with AA based GPS & walkie talkie.

#143718 - 08/11/08 05:56 PM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: Fitzoid]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I'm trying to standardize now, attempting to go all AA or AAA so that I can eventually use rechargeable eneloop batteries with a foldable solar setup.

I do have a large store of Kirkland AA and AAA batteries from Costco for emergencies until I can get to the point I mentioned above. I also have a couple packs of Energizer E2 Lithium batteries set aside for my flashlight.

Standardization is one of the reasons I changed out flashlights. My Old Pelican used CR123a's, which are generally harder to find and definitely more expensive than the AA's that my Fenix Uses.

Devices that I have that use AA's:
Fenix L2D CE
Eton Grundig FR200
Mini Maglite LED in the FAK
Energizer Energi-To-Go Cell Charger

Devices that I have that use AAAs:
Arc AAA Premium

Those are just my BOB, PSK and FAK devices. When I start listing 'puter mice, remote controls and all the other gadgets I have around my home and use every day, it just makes sense for me to buy rechargeable double and triple A's and to have alkalines and lithiums as backup.

Right now the MagLite LED 4D that I keep in my car is the only emergency light that I have that is out the small cell category... But I have that one for more reasons than the light it provides... LOL

#143721 - 08/11/08 06:12 PM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: Nicodemus]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
Right now the MagLite LED 4D that I keep in my car is the only emergency light that I have that is out the small cell category... But I have that one for more reasons than the light it provides... LOL

I hear nobody carries a MagLite D cell for the light it (doesn't) put out. grin

#143736 - 08/11/08 07:59 PM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: Fitzoid]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
CR123 are not to bad ($) when you know where to buy, and the coupon codes, etc. CandlePowerforums is a good guide to this stuff... really in depth review of the CR123, and where to buy CHEAP high-end ones too.

#143780 - 08/12/08 12:41 AM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: firefly99]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sorry, I had enough of battery leakages to last me a lifetime. So standardizing on AA is out of the question for me. Currently, I am still struck with AA based GPS & walkie talkie.

I have only ever had rayovac's leak but primarily use eneloops now. Being 'stuck' with AA based gps is why I don't bother with 123's, if I can swap as needed then its not standardized.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.