Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#143485 - 08/10/08 02:19 PM Eneloop vs Lithium
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've looked at some of the rechargable lithiums, as well as the Eneloops.

Eneloop seems to have the market base, but no CR123s and no solar or universal charger (not that I've seen).

I can find Li-Ion cells in CR123, AAA and AA, but no universal charger. I've seen some solars that are dedicated to one type or another. They also don't seem to have the market.

So I guess my question is, as someone who's not sure he'll ever be able to get down to JUST AAs, which one makes more sense? I like solar chargers because, well, they are free.

(Oh, and for those that are wondering, there were issues trying to make solar charger out of a yard lamp as I had discussed a few weeks ago. Called they've been sold out ever time I go to look for them, other than really junky ones that use NiCads, no NiMH.)

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#143487 - 08/10/08 02:31 PM Re: Eneloop vs Lithium [Re: ironraven]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

well do you really need the solar charger? Charging with a proper charger, is way better for your cells. Besides solar is much slower and doesn't give you more advanced charging options.

I personnaly ditched all mine lithium-ion batteries and chargers and went with low self-discharge NiMH (eneloop, recyko and vapex instant). NiMH are much safer and can be used on more electronics.

#143504 - 08/10/08 05:22 PM Re: Eneloop vs Lithium [Re: ironraven]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I looked at Li-Ion AA batteries but the fact that they run at 3.6 volts instead of the 1.2 volt NiMH or 1.5 volt Alkaline/lithium AA's was a negative. Imagine someone getting hold of those with the thought that they were a direct substitute for standard AA batteries -- no thanks.

#143520 - 08/10/08 09:25 PM Re: Eneloop vs Lithium [Re: Russ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

They make a LiIon AA that runs at 1.2-1.5V, I've seen them. Let me see if I can find the manufacturer.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#143521 - 08/10/08 09:27 PM Re: Eneloop vs Lithium [Re: Tjin]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: PC2K
Charging with a proper charger, is way better for your cells.

An interesting statement, but I'm not sure I follow. I"ve never heard of a solar charger negatively impacting the life cycle of a batter. And yes, I like solar because you can lash it to the top of a pack.

#143531 - 08/10/08 10:28 PM Re: Eneloop vs Lithium [Re: ironraven]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: ironraven
I like solar because you can lash it to the top of a pack.

What model of charger do you recommend for that specific application?

Jeff

#143532 - 08/10/08 10:33 PM Re: Eneloop vs Lithium [Re: Jeff_M]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Still looking, honestly. That is why I was going to make one. The other option is a semi-flexible cell that I can put on the top flap, and run wires into the pack. Not really the look I want, though.

#143537 - 08/10/08 10:52 PM Re: Eneloop vs Lithium [Re: ironraven]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Still looking, honestly. That is why I was going to make one. The other option is a semi-flexible cell that I can put on the top flap, and run wires into the pack. Not really the look I want, though.

I have no experience or connection with them but have you considered a backpack from Voltaic Systems? If the bag itself is worthy, I would want the solar panel to be removable so that I could leave it in camp if desired. I see nothing that indicates a removable panel.

#143544 - 08/10/08 11:10 PM Re: Eneloop vs Lithium [Re: ironraven]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Check out the SunLinq 6.5. I both the SL 6.5 and the SL 25.

Edit: That doesn't help much with CR123 Li-Ion rechargeables though. I limit myself to charging AA NiMH.

Edited by Russ (08/11/08 02:31 AM)

#143602 - 08/11/08 05:12 AM Re: Eneloop vs Lithium [Re: ironraven]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: PC2K
Charging with a proper charger, is way better for your cells.

An interesting statement, but I'm not sure I follow. I"ve never heard of a solar charger negatively impacting the life cycle of a batter. And yes, I like solar because you can lash it to the top of a pack.

Well all the solar NiMH chargers I have seen are usually “dumb” and will only charge in pairs or more at the same time. So when your charging your cells they may be charged unbalanced (one being overcharged, well the other isn’t full yet) or being overcharged. Chargers with independent charging bays will prevent this. Also I have yet to see solar chargers with refresh, recover or diagnostic options. But than again I’m a but of a nerd about mine NiMH batteries.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.