Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#143375 - 08/09/08 02:11 AM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: stargazer]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Blast-(heavy sigh!) what on Earth have you done now?

Uh, I bought this along with the poncho liner...

-Blast

Edited by Blast (08/09/08 02:11 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#143376 - 08/09/08 02:18 AM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: Blast]
Homer Offline
Antithetic

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Scientific studies are great but the real question is how well does it work for you? For me, it seems to help enough to be a useful part of my FAK. I have never been sorry to use it and a few times wished I had used it sooner. And adding a pain relief component is like frosting on a cake. IMO.

#143383 - 08/09/08 03:09 AM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: ironraven]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i don't leave home without it..the stuff with the pain med
is the only one worth having..get the cream not vasaline base.
i find it heals wound fast and best of all on bug bites it
kills the itching so you don't keep opening the scabs up..

#143386 - 08/09/08 03:25 AM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: Blast]
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Blast:

I hope you actually learn a new skill, or improving on an old one, with that axe. In the immortal words of Pink Floyd.

"Careful with that axe, Eugene." In this case Blast...

Soap and tap water are recommended in the current copy of the Merck manual. Followed with a Betadine rinse at a 1:10 ratio. I had a previous post on Betadine use here I also see where rly45acp beat me to the link at world wide wounds.

I had seen the Merthiolate trick previously mentioned from a Australian firefighter/medic. He used the solution to treat a blister on a forest firefighters foot. He injected it directly into the blister until the blister "popped." When the poor fireman stopped dancing around, he then covered it with Neosporin, gauze pads, and moleskin. Within about 48 hours the blister was almost healed. Funny thing is the other firefighters always came to me for treatment unless they were from Australia. The medic told me he had learned the treatment in the Royal Australian Navy.

Just be careful we know your reputation. grin

Stargazer

#143389 - 08/09/08 04:27 AM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: stargazer]
marduk Offline

Loc: Mid-Missouri
I agree with Jeff's comments. Hydrogen peroxides one advantage is that debrides (cleans) the wound. Yes, it probably slows healing some, and may make the scar marginally more prominent. If I didn't have adequate, appropriate flush solution at hand, but did have peroxide, I'd use without a second thought. Wound cleansing, both initial and ongoing, is the most important part of preventing infection. Once infection starts, you'll probably need oral or possibly IV antibiotics. MRSA is now a disease of civilization, not just healthcare facilities, but in the community. In the wild MRSA would be unlikely, but not impossible, “civilization” seems to touch almost everywhere.

Edited by marduk (08/09/08 04:30 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling, capitals, puncuation, and it's not that late.

#143446 - 08/10/08 12:12 AM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: marduk]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
The blister treatment seems more than just a bit extreme. Why purposefully cause a patient pain by injecting merthiolate when you'll get better results draining the blister and then simply bandaging it, apply some moleskin or Spenco 2nd Skin and you're well on your way to a 48 hour cure anyway. I don't get that one at all.

John E

Edited by JohnE (08/10/08 04:41 AM)

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#143461 - 08/10/08 02:49 AM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Nothing scientific here, but I once took a long deep slice across the bridge of my nose. Really needed stitches, but I was stubborn. Once I got the bleeding stopped (took 'bout an hour, with lots of cold water compresses), I gooped on some Neosporin, then a little bandaid, and went on my way. Healed up fine, not even all that much of a scar (compared to my other scars at least)...

#143484 - 08/10/08 02:16 PM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
If you trust Consumer Reports, they had his to say recently. I am copying this from the August issue. I am going to quote only relevant parts to avoid potential copyright issues.

Neo spray isn't Neosporin.

"New neo to go first aid spray from the maker of neosporin displays the brand name on its label and promises "infection protection, anytime, anywhere"...

"[Neo spray] ... is neosporin in name only, it does not contain the three antibiotics in the original neosporin ointment... "

"consider [the] single use packets for the same price as the spray. Tuck a tube of neosporin ointment in your purse or backpack..."

"Clean the affected area with soap and water before applying medication, our medical consultants say."

This is only related to your original question, and I respect Consumer Reports as a source of testing and unbiased information.

Blast, I think you would fare better by looking for the names of the three antibiotics on the tube, and searching for those on the internet to see exactly what they were good for. I would be curious to hear what they said.

Edited by clarktx (08/11/08 12:27 PM)

#143490 - 08/10/08 02:39 PM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: clarktx]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
Thanks very much clarktx for providing the Consumer Reports info. Without it, I would've assumed that the spray is identical to the ointment.

Nurit

#143596 - 08/11/08 03:19 AM Re: Neosporin antibotic cream? [Re: rly45acp]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: rly45acp
(snip) polysporin actually allows the wound to heal more quickly than neosporin. (snip)

Also, you should look at the environment you are in. In humid, jungle like conditions, neosporin and other ointments work great, but in certain arid conditions flushing the wound with a betadine rinse is better. A powerdered form of neosporin can also be used for certain types of wounds.

You can't have everything with you, so I now carry the aforementioned small spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide, a few betadine swabs and a few quart size zip lock bags. I fill the bag with water, clip one bottom corner (small clip) and squeeze the bag to get an effective stream to flush the wound. This whole kit weighs little and takes up a very small space in my FAK.

As with all things we humans do, YMMV.

Neosporin=neomycin, polymyxin B, and bacitracin.

Polysporin=polymyxin B, and bacitracin.

To say "Polysporin actually allows the wound to heal more quickly than neosporin" is nonsensical. That would imply that having an extra antibiotic on board would retard healing. If you are talking about the allergic potential for Neosporin, then yes, there is a higher incidence of allergic reactions to Neosporin than to Polysporin (the neomycin may have as high as 20% allergic rxn) But this does not mean that Neosporin heals any slower than Polysporin.

I disagree that flushing with betadine is better than treating with a topical antibiotic. Betadine won't stay resident is the wound as long as the ointment. Why would neosporin work less well in a dry environment? It works great in my state: a high plains, arid environment.

Flushing a wound is great, adding some betadine is a good idea. But leave the hydrogen peroxide at home. It's heavy (liquid) and is controversial...plus it hurts! There have been studies done comparing flushing wounds with sterile water or saline vs. just tap water...guess what? Tap water may be just as good!

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.