Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#143591 - 08/11/08 02:46 AM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
As I mentioned right above, the Energizer rechargeable NiHMs are pure junk. Fully charged (and reconditioned), 2 AAs won't even light up a Fenix L2D. I wonder why Energizer would even put their name on someone else's garbage...

#143593 - 08/11/08 03:04 AM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: Fitzoid]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Energizer rechargeable NiHMs are pure junk.

I agree! I won’t buy anything made by Energizer any more. I charge them up and put a set in my digital camera and 15 or 20 pictures and the camera shuts off because it’s out of power. I put Lithium (non rechargeable) and it goes for 300 pictures.

Also I noticed NiHMs loose about 40% of their charge in less then a week after being charged.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#143595 - 08/11/08 03:19 AM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: BobS]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: BobS
Energizer rechargeable NiHMs are pure junk.

I agree! I won&#146;t buy anything made by Energizer any more. I charge them up and put a set in my digital camera and 15 or 20 pictures and the camera shuts off because it&#146;s out of power. I put Lithium (non rechargeable) and it goes for 300 pictures.

Also I noticed NiHMs loose about 40% of their charge in less then a week after being charged.

Thats because of there self discharge rate. It's easly solved by buying NiMH with a low self discharge (Eneloops, Recyko's, etc). Almost all brands has a low self discharge version of there NiMH.

#143597 - 08/11/08 03:38 AM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: Tjin]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I know about the discharge rate. I have a problem with them just pulling them off the charger and putting them in my camera right away and take pictures that day. Less then 20 pictures and they are dead. They should last longer then that. Energizer Company has some problems with the design. Energizer in my opinion screwed me, I won’t buy anything else from, they have cute commercials with the bunny, but it’s a farce.

I bought some inexpensive off brand rechargeable batts (Harbor Tools) and they last for 70 pictures, and hold a charge.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#143618 - 08/11/08 11:19 AM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: haertig]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
About everything I use these days runs on AA's or AAA's, the division between those two types being pretty even. So those are my standards. I buy them in the largest packs I can find when they go on sale. My personal experience is that RayOVac alkalines perform as well as, and leak less frequently than, Energizers or Duracells. Plus, they're cheaper and come in even bigger bulk packs. YMMV.

That is odd because rayovac are the only batteries I have ever had leak. I just pulled a leaky one out of a kid toy last week, was from the last pack of rayovac batteries I'll ever buy, I'm tured of them and their problems.

#143619 - 08/11/08 11:23 AM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: BobS]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: BobS
I know about the discharge rate. I have a problem with them just pulling them off the charger and putting them in my camera right away and take pictures that day. Less then 20 pictures and they are dead. They should last longer then that. Energizer Company has some problems with the design. Energizer in my opinion screwed me, I won’t buy anything else from, they have cute commercials with the bunny, but it’s a farce.

I had a similar problem and I started researching and it turned out my charger wasn't fully charging the batteries, so you started out ay way less that full capacity and then self discharged the rest away. Mine was a raoyvac ps4 that I wasted $30 on when I could have paid $40 for a decent charger.

#143620 - 08/11/08 11:25 AM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: Eugene]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have pretty much standardized on AA, ots just too much of a hassle to keep and carry several battery types and sizes. For the most part all my primary gear is AA powered, GPS, flashlights, radios, cameras, scanner. For most items you can find a AA powered version which is just as good as the non aa powered version so you can eliminate the hassle of a charger and replacing the attery pack every few years.

#143648 - 08/11/08 02:29 PM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: Tjin]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: PC2K
Thats because of there self discharge rate.

I don't think that's it. If you read my above posts, I put the Energizer NiHMs through the massive reconditioning cycle of my LaCrosse charger; this took an entire week. Then, straight into a Fenix L2D. They wouldn't light it up. There was no time for self-discharge, unless they do so instantly. Also, they never made it to 1.2V during charging.

Yes, they discharge within days, but that's not what I referring to here.

On the other hand, the PowerEx 2700 mAh AAs work just great. Extremely low self-discharge rate and they keep coming back for more. grin

#143664 - 08/11/08 03:27 PM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: Fitzoid]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The higher capacity cells have thinnner layers of material inside which is easier to damage from excessive loads, heat, fast charging, dropping, etc. Damage to those layers causes self discharge as well not completely charging, etc. self discharge is just one syptom of a battery problem.

#143667 - 08/11/08 03:32 PM Re: Batteries -- when do you standardize? [Re: Eugene]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

The Energizers are only 2100 mAh, so they are at the low end of the capacity range for NiMH AAs.

But for high capacity batteries, I tend to use very small charging currents (e.g., 200mA) to keep the temperatures low.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.