The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#143297 - 08/08/08 06:27 PM Re: Spam - a small question [Re: nursemike]
nursetim Offline

Loc: the last bastion of PHRASECENS...
Originally Posted By: nursemike
Spam is probably more wholesome than I allege. The prejudice developed after I spent a week visiting my brother, who worked as a meat inspector in a rural NY slaughterhouse. I was off hot dogs for about a year, thereafter. lso discovered that a skinned bear, hanging in the freezer, looks a lot like a skinned person might. Gave me insight into the behavior some of the shaved bears who work the night shift in selected hospitals. Upside was that the slaughterhouse was near Fort Drum, and there were a lot of surplus bargains in the local garage sales.

I can't remember which class this little tid-bit of info came from but here goes. The American Indians would send the women of the tribe out of camp whenever they brought a bear into camp for dressing for that very same reason. I found this facinating.

#143342 - 08/08/08 11:06 PM Re: Spam - a small question [Re: benjammin]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I have dried it.

Slice it thin, like 1/8". Put it one layer deep on a ceramic plate. Nuke on high for three minutes. Crispy, dry, and kinda like bacon without smoke.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#143399 - 08/09/08 10:51 AM Re: Spam - a small question [Re: ironraven]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Yes, frozen solid with no outward ill effects. Now I'll thaw it and see how it comes out of the can.
I assume I could eat it just like I could drink my frozen water. At worst you could build a fire and sit the frozen items next to it to thaw, assuming you could make a camp fire. If you only have something like an esbit stove you could shave off slices with your knife and cook it that way. Doesn't matter so much if its frozen then.

#143409 - 08/09/08 01:21 PM Re: Spam - a small question [Re: OldBaldGuy]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
My wife used to be a security guard at a rasin plant. To this day she will not eat a rasin. There are many things about the food we eat that you just do not want to know. Kindasorta like watching a gunsmith work on your favorite firearm, don't do it!!!

Is there a big security exposure at a raisin plant? Raisin rustlers? Prune pirates? Grape grabbers? Apricot abductors?
Just askin...

#143412 - 08/09/08 01:30 PM Re: Spam - a small question [Re: nursemike]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Is there a big security exposure at a raisin plant?..."

Beats me, but she said that they had three roving guards on graveyard shift. Of course, this was in central CA, where they will steal anything that is not tied down...

#143418 - 08/09/08 04:12 PM Re: Spam - a small question [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Back when I worked as a maintenance mechanic at Iowa Beef, there was a definite difference between being on the slaughter and butcher side of the plant, and being on the rendering side. Funny thing is, I would have to work the gut pile auger or the mealy or the hide soaker in the rendering side fixing something, then have to go to the butcher side and work on the conveyor or the chain hoist or the carcass rinser, and there was no provision for cleaning yourself or the equipment in between.

Nothing beats being up to your bellybutton in guts to give you a real sense of tolerance for what you eat. After working that stunt, dressing an elk or a deer wasn't disturbing at all. The toughest part of working at the plant (other than being hot and sweaty from dusk till dawn), was when they would bring in the 4-H bulls from the fair, and they'd be all dolled up and looking for their pampering session, and the boys would hot shot them into the knocking chute. I don't know as I care much for turning my food into a pet beforehand.

Anymore I make my own ground meat (beef, sausage, weiners). It is a chore, but the result is I know what is in my food, and I can control the quality. If there was one thing I learnt about working the slaughterhouse, you don't want to buy ground beef in a tube anymore.

I reckon the not knowing part of this is for the better. As much as it might turn folks stomachs to have to raise and butcher and process their own beef, if most folks ever saw what happened in a plant, they would be far more afraid of what comes out of there and onto their plate, maybe enough to convince them doing it themselves is preferable, or else going veg...

#143435 - 08/09/08 08:39 PM Re: Spam - a small question [Re: benjammin]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I visited a peanut butter plant in dothan, alabama-had a friend at fort rucker-and watched as they opened cases of outdated pb and scraped it into the new stuff on the line. It gets heated and renewwed , or diluted, or something. Even the freaking vegetables (legumes) are not terribly wholesome in the processing. FDA limits for rodent feces and insect parts in flour are substantially greater than zero. Beer is safe, and the insects that you gather in your yard-all else is in qusetion if processed.

#143442 - 08/09/08 10:34 PM Re: Spam - a small question [Re: OldBaldGuy]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City

Beats me, but she said that they had three roving guards on graveyard shift. Of course, this was in central CA, where they will steal anything that is not tied down...

Don't you mean the grapeyard shift.....

wink
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#143443 - 08/09/08 11:00 PM Re: Spam - a small question [Re: KG2V]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I am speachless...

#143474 - 08/10/08 12:46 PM Re: Spam - a small question [Re: KG2V]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe

Don't you mean the grapeyard shift.....

wink

DOH. smile

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.