Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#143351 - 08/08/08 11:32 PM Re: Colin Fletcher Hiking/Backpacking Books [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My favorite is The 1000-mile Summer, probably because I have been in a lot of the places he passed thru and wrote about...

#143353 - 08/08/08 11:41 PM Re: Colin Fletcher Hiking/Backpacking Books [Re: Schwert]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Schwert,

Thank you for the link to your excellent review of Colin Fletcher's works.

I also found your review of Mors Kochanski's 16 Bushcraft Pamphlets very informative and when my credit card cools down a little, I will be purchasing those also.

I enjoy your articles and particularly the photography.

Mike

#143355 - 08/08/08 11:43 PM Re: Colin Fletcher Hiking/Backpacking Books [Re: SwampDonkey]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada

"On Your Own in the Wilderness" by Townsend Whelen/Bradford Angier"

Hey, that's a favourite in my library! Not a common item these days.

No matter how clever you are, how sweet the hardware you can buy and carry, there's no substitute for the experience of someone who's gone out there and done it.

Opposite styles? Whelen/Angier and Fletcher? I bet if you set these gents down, who have spend the prerequisite hundeds/thousands of solo hours in the bush, and are military men to boot, with a bottle of 12-year-old MacAllan, they would be on the same page, in every practical matter, from start to finish. And you'd be priviledged to be a witness.

Geez, where do I sign up for that? There are precious few heroes these days.

Betcha Cody L. would be proud to be bartender at such a meet.

#143359 - 08/09/08 12:17 AM Re: Colin Fletcher Hiking/Backpacking Books [Re: dougwalkabout]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hey Doug,

I also like reading many of the older outdoor books, without the high-tech influence found in writing today. I heard about "On Your Own In THe Wilderness" from somewhere on the web (maybe from you) and ended up importing my used copy from California.

I think it was Bradford Angler's book, "The Art and Science of Taking To The Woods" that sparked my early interest in camping/hiking and my first survival kit was built around a copy of his "How to Stay Alive in the Woods".

After reading 98.6* and short passages of The Complete Walker (Thanks Schwert), I figured Cody Lundin and Colin Fletcher would have greatly different writing styles? But time will tell as both are on my reading list, with over a 1000 pages between them I should be done by next spring.

Addition: Yes Doug, I too would have enjoyed meeting/learning from, the great outdoor writers/adventurers of the past.

Mike

Edited by SwampDonkey (08/09/08 12:23 AM)
Edit Reason: I forgot to agree with the previous post!

#143367 - 08/09/08 01:13 AM Re: Colin Fletcher Hiking/Backpacking Books [Re: SwampDonkey]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I found it amusing that Colin would tell you how using a catch to resupply was illegal and then go ahead and do it himself, and then admitting he would never go back to pickup the container he stored things in. I guess being an earth friendly person is fine if it doesn’t mean too much work.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#143370 - 08/09/08 01:31 AM Re: Colin Fletcher Hiking/Backpacking Books [Re: BobS]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

The only caches I have done in the past were cans or barrels of vehicle fuel, lubricant or tree-marking paint, in remote locations. Bears were a problem, biting into the plastic chainsaw bar oil jugs. In my case everything was removed at the conclusion of the job.

Mike

#143694 - 08/11/08 04:56 PM Re: Colin Fletcher Hiking/Backpacking Books [Re: SwampDonkey]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Thanks. Doing some of these reviews is pretty easy when you have good authors to quote.

Fletcher is definately a "must read" author. It is too bad he has passed, but fortunately for a couple of generations of walkers he provided not only a manual of equipment but even more importantly the inspiration to walk.

#144232 - 08/15/08 04:34 AM Re: Colin Fletcher Hiking/Backpacking Books [Re: Schwert]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I remember reading one of the Complete Walkers back in the 70's. I think it might have been the "New..." version, but I can't remember. It was a fun read. Not just for the hiking/backing info it contained, but because it was just plain 'ol entertaining. I still have my copy somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and give it another read.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.