Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#143258 - 08/08/08 03:19 PM Re: Red Feather Butter [Re: KG2V]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
between parking and the like, take well over an hour. Heck, there is a farmers market right across the st from work every thursday - some baked goods, some apples/peaches etc, and one guy selling veggies from PA. Not worth it

Sorry, but, WTF? "Not worth it"? That's what kills local markets - the idea that a few purchases here and there are not worth it. I know a lot of those folks from PA who wake up at 3:30 am to drive to the many NYC greenmarkets, they count on these markets for their living, and as you might recall, no farms, no food. I support the local markets to the greatest degree possible, it's not only good for you, it's good for your long-term planning and prospects, in all senses of the word.

#143302 - 08/08/08 06:54 PM Re: Red Feather Butter [Re: MartinFocazio]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Not worth it - as in, these are the same people that are at Atlas Park on the week end - not worth an hour drive to get that little selection. If I'm going to drive an hour, I can be in Suffolk or Northern NJ, at a real farm stand, with a lot more choices, and a better selection

That said, it IS worth walking across the Street on Thursdays to check out the ONE farmer who shows up, and the Apple folks in the fall (that said, I USUALLY end up at one of their competitors actually up by the orchid the last Sunday in September, and a buy about 1-2 bushels of apples
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#143822 - 08/12/08 05:08 AM Re: Red Feather Butter [Re: KG2V]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I must say that I agree with everything Martin has said. Although I do have my own chickens, I do refrigerate the eggs. I've never understood the NEED to not refrigerate them when you have a refrigerator, but that's more of a personal issue.

The big bugaboo with raw milk (according to the government which is both ignorant, supercilious and taking payoffs) seems to be the bacteria Listeria. It can be found in some raw milk in minute amounts. Our USDA doesn't want ANY Listeria in milk, despite the fact that illnesses from Listeria in raw milk in the U.S. come to the grand total of zero. Yep.

If you have chickens and like to eat raw egg yolks in egg nog, all you have to do is collect one egg from each hen and have them tested for salmonella, to see if they have it in their egg-forming mechanism. None of them showed up with salmonella? My, my, what a surprise!

All the problems with animal protein in the U.S. comes from the combination of filth and high-density confinement operations, and filth and poor slaughtering practices. And stupidity.

The U.S. watched Britain dealing with BSE (Mad Cow Disease) for ten years. It didn't take long to discover that BSE was being transmitted by feeding cow remnants (waste, garbage) to live cows. They knew this, yet U.S. feed companies continued to add beef trash to cattle feed. Our USDA knew it, and they didn't say a word against using beef trash in cattle feed. All these complacent bozos just kept on doing what they'd been doing for years, and then here in Washington State, in a slaughterhouse just ten miles down I-5 from me, a cow showed up with BSE. Surprise!

The 'hot' version of E. coli O157:H7 was unknown until 1982. When 1.2 million pounds of of beef contaminated with it is recalled (3 days ago), where do you think it came from? From Joe Smith's 20 head that graze 200 acres of clean grass pasture, or from some crowded, heavily-medicated, manure-buried feedlot containing several thousand animals that spend their life shoulder-to-shoulder with thousands of others? As far as I've ever read, there has been no case of this contamination in grass-fed cattle in the U.S. In 2007, the U.S. produced 26.2 MILLION head of feedlot cattle. THIS is where the contamination is coming from.

And neither the USDA nor the feedlot cattle corporations want to clean up their mess. Instead, they are touting the advantages of irradiation. What they really want to do is continue to produce filthy meat, and just zap it with radiation to kill the bacteria. Is this what you want? It's like taking a steak, dipping it in liquid manure, then pouring bleach all over it. It's still filthy meat. YUM! I'll have seconds!

There has been some indication that microwaving food damages the molecules, which has some negative affects on the quality of the food, creating radiolytic compounds. So let's irradiate ALL of our food, just because most Americans have been trained to eat garbage and filth.

Why can't we just have clean food? Is this too much to ask?

Sue

#143851 - 08/12/08 01:11 PM Re: Red Feather Butter [Re: Susan]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I treat every gun as if it is loaded and I treat all raw meat and eggs as if they are contaminated, even if I'm a direct blood relative of the cow or chicken.

The good news is, all you have to do it cook it and its safe.

Originally Posted By: Susan
There has been some indication that microwaving food damages the molecules, which has some negative affects on the quality of the food...

Absolutely! Its called COOKING.

Quote:
...creating radiolytic compounds.

Uh, absolutely not.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#143868 - 08/12/08 02:53 PM Re: Red Feather Butter [Re: thseng]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Ah, we know everything about everything, eh?

Sue

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.