The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#143068 - 08/06/08 08:16 PM Re: GPS vs Common Sense [Re: Roarmeister]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I regularly use a GPS on known routes just to see how it does. I don't have a problem with using GPS for nav, but I don't use just the in-car receiver, I also have the software on my PC with the same map/DB as the receiver.

I use the map software so that I'll know the route before I get in the car, then I let the GPS follow along as I drive. Mine says "recalculating" quite often wink But that's one of the Garmin Nuvi receivers. For backcountry driving, a GPS 60CSx with road and topo maps is a much better option. Having the software on a PC so you can get a better picture of what the GPS is doing helps a lot.

To take that many people with children that far off road following a GPS blindly is a learning experience.

#143073 - 08/06/08 08:57 PM Re: GPS vs Common Sense [Re: ]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
DW and I drove from NYC to near Wilmington, NC last month. We went via the DelMarVa Peninsula and even thereafter stayed off the major highways.

According to the GPS, I drove through a lot of cornfields. It was pretty clear it either did not know where we were or did not know where the road was on numerous occasions, and I suspect the later in most cases.

It's a tool. Only a tool. It needs to be checked against other tools, if you really have no clue as to wehre you are. other tools would include maps and your own common sense.

#143077 - 08/06/08 09:55 PM Re: GPS vs Common Sense [Re: BobS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: BobS
I question GPS being wrong more then 50%.
I'm not sure what you mean? Where did this 50% figure come from and what is it in reference to. Can you say a bit more about this?

#143080 - 08/06/08 10:10 PM Re: GPS vs Common Sense [Re: Hikin_Jim]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I question GPS being wrong more then 50%.
I'm not sure what you mean? Where did this 50% figure come from and what is it in reference to. Can you say a bit more about this?

Never blindly follow the GPS. It's a tool, a good tool, but not an infallible one. I use mine everyday while out geocaching and it has gotten me into good trouble more often than not! <very big grin>

(More often then not) to me says that he’s saying it doesn’t work more times then it does, that has to be over 50% of the time. I question this statement.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#143083 - 08/06/08 10:17 PM Re: GPS vs Common Sense [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
This is why I am very reluctant to endorse any kind of wilderness electronics. If you pray the tech gods and let them think for you...

Well, I'd point and laugh if it wasn't so serious.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#143085 - 08/06/08 10:20 PM Re: GPS vs Common Sense [Re: thseng]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I have a simple Garmin vehicle-type GPS that is helpful in urban area but not much use on bush roads. If you are driving on a road that does not exist it just shows you driving on a blank screen. There are also lots of roads shown on the GPS screen that were never there or were overgrown 30 years ago and are now just forest.

It is a handy tool in the bush though to be able to get your location (Lat/Long) from the GPS and use the map to figure out where you are.

Mike

Edited by SwampDonkey (08/06/08 10:23 PM)
Edit Reason: I remembered the location feature!

#143086 - 08/06/08 10:21 PM Re: GPS vs Common Sense [Re: BobS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

(More often then not) to me says that he’s saying it doesn’t work more times then it does, that has to be over 50% of the time. I question this statement.

Well, maybe, but I've sure seen a lot of GPS failures in mountainous terrain. Down in the bottom of gullies or deep canyons and under heavy tree cover seem to be places where failure to get a fix occurs.

Recently when I was on Marion Mtn (10,600+), the GPS pointed us to a false summit. GPS's are frequently but not always good. I can't say what percentage of the time under what conditions failures occur, but they're very common. I get GPS failures multiple times every hike I go on.

Roarmeister, anything to add?

#143106 - 08/07/08 01:16 AM Re: GPS vs Common Sense [Re: SwampDonkey]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
If you are driving on a road that does not exist it just shows you driving on a blank screen.

Yes, but then what does it direct you to do?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#143109 - 08/07/08 01:31 AM Re: GPS vs Common Sense [Re: thseng]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: thseng
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
If you are driving on a road that does not exist it just shows you driving on a blank screen.

Yes, but then what does it direct you to do?
Why, drive off a cliff of course. grin

#143117 - 08/07/08 01:59 AM Re: GPS vs Common Sense [Re: thseng]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi thseng,

I do not know, I have not asked the GPS to navigate somewhere when it was "off-road". I will try it tomorrow and let you know what it tells me to do!

Mike

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.