Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#142822 - 08/04/08 07:43 PM Charge TTi - very long term review
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
HI Gang,
Just a short long term review of my Charge TTi - I bought my TTi as soon as they were available, as I wanted to carry a Leatherman, but wanted something with a GOOD blade

I guess I've been carrying it a couple of years now (give or take) and most of the tool is about what I expected, however, the blade just does NOT hold an edge the way SV30 1660 PGT Leek (Feb 06 sprint run) does. It's not BAD, and is good enough, but it does not keep that "razor edge" that the leek does. For instance, when I open the mail, I find the edge grabs all the time

Other than that, I'm happy, I just hate having to break out the edgepro or sharpmaker every week or two
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#142853 - 08/04/08 10:26 PM Re: Charge TTi - very long term review [Re: KG2V]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
What are you using to sharpen the blade?

#142855 - 08/04/08 11:08 PM Re: Charge TTi - very long term review [Re: Russ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I may be one of the few that has never owned a Leatherman. I've had the same Gerber Multiplier since 1992 and its never failed me. I have another Gerber that was a gift a few years back, it didn't have as many tools but had a small LED light option which has come in handy. I don't think its made anymore.

I have owned a swiss Champ since 1994 and it goes with me everywhere.

So I guess comparatively speaking, is Leatherman THE multi-tool to have or has its name just become a colloquial for the industry like Levis and Xerox?

#142892 - 08/05/08 03:37 AM Re: Charge TTi - very long term review [Re: Russ]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Russ
What are you using to sharpen the blade?

I USED to use the sharpmaker, but I've NEVER really liked it (I tend to roll the tips of my blades) - I bought an edgepro, which works fine - in the past I have used hand waterstones - I'm good at it, but it takes time, and I have a recurve blade or 2 that don't like the waterstones

I'll use the typical sharpening angles - and today I went all the way down to the sharpening tape, and a stropping - and the edge has NO burr, and will shave, but it won't HOLD that edge. I really thing (based on how the metal removes etc) that the blade is probably hardened in the 57 range (low end for s30v) and the leek is probably in the 60 range, hence the difference in edge holding
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#142903 - 08/05/08 11:38 AM Re: Charge TTi - very long term review [Re: KG2V]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Multi-tools, like guns and women, are a very personal choice. Myself, i carry both a swisstool and a swisschamp. the tool sees harder use, while the champ sees lighter chores and "food prep" type applications. My second favorite is the SOG, then leathermans. Followed by the schrade and gerbers. All are quality. All have their strengths and weaknesses. Its time to play the checks and balances game to see what floats yer boat while getting your tasks done.
I do tend to think that the general populace tends to think of multi-tools as a "leatherman" by default. A crevat to the originator of the hybrid multi tool platform.

-Bill Liptak

#142907 - 08/05/08 12:27 PM Re: Charge TTi - very long term review [Re: comms]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: comms
is Leatherman THE multi-tool to have or has its name just become a colloquial for the industry like Levis and Xerox?

Leatherman is very innovative and has a model for everyone, but from what I gather, Swisstool is "the" tool to have. Highest build quality and toughest of the bunch. Slipping drivers are a commonly heard detraction, because it's just so bloody polished...

www.kravmagafederation.com

#143114 - 08/07/08 01:48 AM Re: Charge TTi - very long term review [Re: KG2V]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
I've carried a Charge Ti (the ancestor to the the TTi) since they came out. It has a 154CM blade, which doesn't hold an edge well either. It fact, I'm about to ship it back to Leatherman to get the blade replaced, as it's become so chipped that there's very little left to sharpen. (I suspect the batch of steel that went into my Charge's straight edge was defective.)

But I always carry a better quality folding knife, so I view the Charge simply as a backup. And as a multitool, I don't leave home w/o it.

#143118 - 08/07/08 02:12 AM Re: Charge TTi - very long term review [Re: Fitzoid]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have a Ti also, from the early run, and love the no-holds-barred grippiness of the titanium handles. The Wave II platform is great, in all its variations. But can't say the 154CM blade has been much of a "wow." And the extra thickness means my inside-the-belt-using-the-clip carry is with a standard 420 Wave II. So the Charge Ti is okay, it works, but I'm not entirely convinced it was worth the extra dollars. Maybe I need to work it hard, hard, hard, and then send it in for upgrades ...?

Edited by dougwalkabout (08/07/08 02:15 AM)

#143122 - 08/07/08 02:45 AM Re: Charge TTi - very long term review [Re: comms]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: comms
So I guess comparatively speaking, is Leatherman THE multi-tool to have or has its name just become a colloquial for the industry like Levis and Xerox?

No, I don't think that it's just "name." I try a lot of brands but keep coming back to the Leathermans. I use them hard, and expect results. The Victorinox line are pretty decent, as a second choice, but never seem to "fit the bill" as well.

#143131 - 08/07/08 04:09 AM Re: Charge TTi - very long term review [Re: dougwalkabout]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
No, I don't think that it's just "name." I try a lot of brands but keep coming back to the Leathermans. I use them hard, and expect results. The Victorinox line are pretty decent, as a second choice, but never seem to "fit the bill" as well.

Could you elaborate on that? I've never heard this particular claim before.

Do you mean you miss the one-handed opening blades and/or other unique features offered by Leatherman tools?

www.kravmagafederation.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 610 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.