Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#143886 - 08/12/08 03:46 PM Re: Bacteria were real killers in 1918 flu pandemic [Re: Blast]
jcurphy Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Most all of us carry opportunistic bacteria in our upper respiratory and upper/lower digestive tract. These bacteria can quickly become pathogens given the right circumstances - i.e. illness. Ever notice how many people develop secondary infections after a course of antibiotics? Most antibiotics given these days are broad spectrum, and end up killing most all the bacteria in our bodies, good and bad. Commensal bacteria are normal flora and actually help us prevent infection by competing for the same space and resources that the potentially bad bacteria are looking for, which is why it's important to maintain a healthy immune system to preserve that delicate balance.

Washing your hands is VERY important, but remember that it only rids your hands of transient bacteria/viruses, and does little in the way of killing bugs that are normally present. Germicidal soaps/hand cleansers - NOT antibacterial soaps mind you - actually kill the bugs. Avagard makes a nice product line of germicidal hand cleansers used by most hospitals.

#143888 - 08/12/08 03:52 PM Re: Bacteria were real killers in 1918 flu pandemi [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
The problem we're having now is that people who don't know what the hell they're talking about aren't vaccinating their children, so we're going to start seeing a rise in these diseases again. Mumps, measles, etc.,

So true. My dad was one of the unlucky thousands who contracted polio back before the vaccine. He's suffered his whole life because of it. He still has nightmares about row after row of children in iron lungs. He just about freaked when he heard about the new polio outbreaks in Iowa and Wisconson.

Safe people forget about real monsters.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#143893 - 08/12/08 04:07 PM Re: Bacteria were real killers in 1918 flu pandemi [Re: Blast]
jcurphy Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
It is a scary thought that people aren't vaccinating their children... herd immunity only works as long as a majority of the population is being vaccinated.

#143932 - 08/12/08 10:06 PM Re: Bacteria were real killers in 1918 flu pandemi [Re: ironraven]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Originally Posted By: Yuccahead
I wondered which antibiotic I should carry. [/url]

That is why there are people who have masters degrees and doctorates, who still refer to very heavy and thick books, who handle drugs.

As for Cipro, it was touted as a be all and end all wonder drug. It isn't worthless, if stored and used correctly, but the odds of anyone who isn't a medical making that call is just random luck. It's like atropine- does it work? Sure, if used right. But stocking whatever random antibiotics you can lay your hands on, when you don't know how or when to use them and lack the ability to determine the actual infectious agent, while not as stupid in my opinion as stocking atropine, it is on par with gas masks and geiger counters. If you have a REAL, CREDIBLE risk, and know how to use it properly, fine, otherwise, don't.

Thank you, Ironraven! As one of those heavy-book toting doctors of pharmacy, I appreciate when non-professionals speak wisdom! I have hope yet!

Even if you happen to be an M.D., my dad (a splendid physician) had a good saying: A doctor who treats himself has a fool for a doctor and a fool for a patient.

I like that most of our clinic docs write prescriptions for each other. It is a nice professional nod of ethics and respect. And if they, the pros, are careful, how much more careful should we all be who AREN'T M.D.'s!

#143933 - 08/12/08 10:11 PM Re: Bacteria were real killers in 1918 flu pandemic [Re: Blast]
red Offline

Wow. I remember in 1997 speaking with one of my microbiologist professors about the 1918 Spanish influenza pandemic. I said so many people died d/t bacterial pneumonia. He said, nope, the people died too fast for that to be the explanation. I'm glad that it appears the former was true. We have a much better antibiotic armamentarium now, and along with the bird vaccine, should be fairly well prepared for it when (not if) it hits. It will still cost this country tons of money to treat it, and deaths will still be horrid in underdeveloped countries, but when it comes, the best place will be either an island without air service or the good ole' U.S. of A.

#143937 - 08/12/08 10:44 PM Re: Bacteria were real killers in 1918 flu pandemic [Re: red]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: red
Wow. I remember in 1997 speaking with one of my microbiologist professors about the 1918 Spanish influenza pandemic. I said so many people died d/t bacterial pneumonia. He said, nope, the people died too fast for that to be the explanation.

The demographics of the dead are interesting. We'd expect either viral influenza or bacterial pneumonia to kill the young and old preferentially, but it appears that young adults [age 20-40] died at far greater rates, something like forty times greater, than can be fully explained by the component of military servicemen's being exposed under unfavorable conditions. The elderly could have enjoyed partial resistance due to exposure during some prior flu epidemic, I suppose. But that doesn't explain why children, normally far more vulnerable, faired so much better than young adults.

Jeff

#143942 - 08/12/08 11:34 PM Re: Bacteria were real killers in 1918 flu pandemic [Re: Jeff_M]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Wow. I remember in 1997 speaking with one of my microbiologist professors about the 1918 Spanish influenza pandemic. I said so many people died d/t bacterial pneumonia. He said, nope, the people died too fast for that to be the explanation.

The demographics of the dead are interesting. We'd expect either viral influenza or bacterial pneumonia to kill the young and old preferentially, but it appears that young adults [age 20-40] died at far greater rates, something like forty times greater, than can be fully explained by the component of military servicemen's being exposed under unfavorable conditions. The elderly could have enjoyed partial resistance due to exposure during some prior flu epidemic, I suppose. But that doesn't explain why children, normally far more vulnerable, faired so much better than young adults.

Jeff

Good point. I think it is still a very scary and misunderstood event. And just because it acted that way is 1918 doesn't mean it can't mutate to some other variant. If any of you studied microbiology, you'll know how many eight (it was eight, wasn't it?) different strands can intermix and mutate in the flu virus. Spooky!

#143978 - 08/13/08 01:21 AM Re: Bacteria were real killers in 1918 flu pandemic [Re: ironraven]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the link Blast.

Originally Posted By: ironraven

That is why there are people who have masters degrees and doctorates, who still refer to very heavy and thick books, who handle drugs ... stocking whatever random antibiotics you can lay your hands on, when you don't know how or when to use them...

In terms of keeping in personal and family inventory, you're so right Ironraven. I'm not comfortable storing antibiotics. It's natural to want to have some on hand, but which ones and how do you use them safely?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#143998 - 08/13/08 02:42 AM Re: Bacteria were real killers in 1918 flu pandemi [Re: red]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Even if you happen to be an M.D., my dad (a splendid physician) had a good saying: A doctor who treats himself has a fool for a doctor and a fool for a patient.

I don’t agree with this, if a person gets an infection and he happens to be a doctor, and he takes some meds he would prescribe to his patents for the same problem he’s a fool??? I don’t see how this makes a person a fool or reckless or that he’s engaging in anything even slightly dangerous.

Obviously a doctor can’t operate on himself, but if he has a minor problem that an antibiotic can fix, why not?

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#144000 - 08/13/08 02:48 AM Re: Bacteria were real killers in 1918 flu pandemi [Re: BobS]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: BobS

I don’t agree with this, if a person gets an infection and he happens to be a doctor, and he takes some meds he would prescribe to his patents for the same problem he’s a fool??? I don’t see how this makes a person a fool or reckless or that he’s engaging in anything even slightly dangerous.

Obviously a doctor can’t operate on himself, but if he has a minor problem that an antibiotic can fix, why not?

By itself, it's not an issue. But it is considered the first step on a vary dangerous path. You ought to see my case files re impaired and/or disciplined practitioners.

Jeff

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 443 Guests and 76 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.