Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#142994 - 08/06/08 03:43 AM Red Feather Butter
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
So, red feather butter is praised all over the web for butter than can be stored w/out being refrigerated and it actually tastes good.

I got some, tried it, awesome.. tastes good! Last for years, doesn't need to be cool.. perfect long-term food that I can use daily and cost almost the same as normal butter.

I started reading the label, and that's when I made the discovery....

After opening place in separate container and refrigerate.

What's going on here? If I can't refrigerate it from when I buy it what makes them think I`ll be able to after I open it?

Does anyone know if this is a safety message or is it REALLY required?

(I know with store butter on sticks I've left that in my cabinet so it stay soft.)

I just thought this was very very odd.

#142999 - 08/06/08 06:03 AM Re: Red Feather Butter [Re: Todd W]
Joy Offline
Journeyman

You could use a "Butter Bell (pot, crock)." This explains what they are:

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/butter_crock.htm

http://www.webexhibits.org/butter/crocks.html

Here are some tips for using a butter bell:
http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/good-questions/good-question-do-butter-bells-really-work-014288

Here is Emile Henry's. Click on the different colors to see the pot in that color. It also comes in white, but doesn't show that on this page:
http://www.surlatable.com/product/id/126791.do

Emile Henry Couleurs Butter Pot, White
http://www.pronto.com/Emile-Henry-Couleurs-Butter-Pot-10800097622-CG

Hope that helps.

Joy

#143006 - 08/06/08 10:52 AM Re: Red Feather Butter [Re: Joy]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
You have to refrigerate most canned foods after opening them. Why would this one be any different?
Here's another source for butter bells
http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/butter-...arble-dish.aspx
I've been trying to figure out how to keep the warm soft butter from running down into the water. Maybe I keep my house to warm in the summer.

#143007 - 08/06/08 11:24 AM Re: Red Feather Butter [Re: Nishnabotna]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
If they made butter so it didn't go rancid afetr a while, it wouldn't taste good. Food scientists have been working on this issue, and spreadability, for a century or so-that's where margarine came from, and the first versions of margarine had ground up udders in them. If you seek a spread that keeps well at room temp, has consistent texture and is useful in multiple kitchen applications, learn to like toast with Crisco.

#143023 - 08/06/08 03:42 PM Re: Red Feather Butter [Re: nursemike]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Nishnabotna & nursemike - Maybe you guys have not heard of this but it's mentioned ALL over the web as awesome tasting butter that needs NO refrigeration. I just did another search and found that while it says that people are still leaving it out on the counter.
Interesting.

Thanks for the Butter Bells info smile That looks interesting.

#143027 - 08/06/08 04:08 PM Re: Red Feather Butter [Re: Todd W]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

At my house we leave the butter out all the time. Land of Lakes, salted in the one pound tubs. Longest it lasts is three weeks and ive never had a problem with it going rancid. My DW, when we first moved in together was horrified. "You have to refrigerate butter, it says so right on the package!" To wit I told her you dont, watch. She is STILL to this day put off by it. Last week she bought a new butter with a canola oil blend. Supposed to make it spreadable and we can keep it in the fridge. Fail. Not that spreadable, and when she left it out with the other butter the oil seperated from the butter.

-Bill Liptak

#143032 - 08/06/08 04:28 PM Re: Red Feather Butter [Re: BillLiptak]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: BillLiptak
At my house we leave the butter out all the time. Land of Lakes, salted in the one pound tubs. L

Us too, and we buy nothing but Organic butter. We don't refrigerate eggs either.

The reason the hysteria about refrigerating butter and such is because "aseptic" production leaves the way open for all kinds of amazingly virulent nasties to move in quickly. We also drink nothing but raw milk, and sometimes, it gradually turns sour, after which it becomes another ingredient for baking. It does not suddenly turn into a horror-blob the way pasteurized milk does AND it's the only liquid milk I can tolerate without some serious turbulence in my tummy.

#143035 - 08/06/08 04:39 PM Re: Red Feather Butter [Re: MartinFocazio]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Originally Posted By: BillLiptak
At my house we leave the butter out all the time. Land of Lakes, salted in the one pound tubs. L

Us too, and we buy nothing but Organic butter. We don't refrigerate eggs either.

The reason the hysteria about refrigerating butter and such is because "aseptic" production leaves the way open for all kinds of amazingly virulent nasties to move in quickly. We also drink nothing but raw milk, and sometimes, it gradually turns sour, after which it becomes another ingredient for baking. It does not suddenly turn into a horror-blob the way pasteurized milk does AND it's the only liquid milk I can tolerate without some serious turbulence in my tummy.

I'm not trying to be the least bit critical or judgmental, but I would NEVER do that personally. Call me paranoid. I guess I've been influenced by my studies in public health and disease vectors (not specifically referring to dairy products) I presume you are close to and familiar with the source?

The real benefits of pasteurization apply to mass production, transportation, distribution and storage issues, not local stuff fresh off the farm, anyway. Nonetheless, it has prevented untold thousands of deaths and illnesses.

So, how do you feel about irradiation of food? I'm all for it, as It appears to be far safer than chemical based preservatives.

Jeff

#143036 - 08/06/08 04:40 PM Re: Red Feather Butter [Re: nursemike]
Henry_Porter Offline

Originally Posted By: nursemike
... the first versions of margarine had ground up udders in them. If you seek a spread that keeps well at room temp, has consistent texture and is useful in multiple kitchen applications, learn to like toast with Crisco.

Margarine with ground up udders or toast spread with Crisco -- nursemike, you might be onto a new weight-loss diet called "I Think I'll Just Skip Breakfast Thankyouverymuch." crazy

#143039 - 08/06/08 05:05 PM Re: Red Feather Butter [Re: Henry_Porter]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Henry_Porter
Originally Posted By: nursemike
... the first versions of margarine had ground up udders in them. If you seek a spread that keeps well at room temp, has consistent texture and is useful in multiple kitchen applications, learn to like toast with Crisco.

Margarine with ground up udders or toast spread with Crisco -- nursemike, you might be onto a new weight-loss diet called "I Think I'll Just Skip Breakfast Thankyouverymuch." crazy

Now, Henry, you sit down and eat your breakfast like a good boy. Would you like some fried chicken embryos to with your criscoed and uddered toast? How about some fresh brewed Kopi Luwak coffee?

Jeff

The World's Most Expensive Coffee is From Beans Cycled Through an Indonesian Monkey's Digestive System-Truth!
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/k/kopiluwak.htm

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.