Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#142980 - 08/06/08 01:58 AM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: Hikin_Jim]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I've not heard of K&R before...

Neither had I. Apparently it is a German company, "Kasper and Richter". They've been making precision instruments since 1920, according to their website.

K&R is imported to the USA by ROC Gear Wholesale, who maintains the website http://www.kandrusa.com/Home_Page.html

The German company website is http://www.kasper-richter.de/english/

This doesn't tell you anything about the quality of what they make, but it's a start to find out more info regarding K&R.

I also found mention of K&R in this forum thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...thread_id=15128

Seems like the folks over there at BackpackingLight think K&R compasses are OK, even though they are from a lesser known company.

#142995 - 08/06/08 03:49 AM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: haertig]
DannyL Offline

Loc: SE Alaska
Brunton 9020G, simple but effective, and accurate. Handles declination well.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___60745

#142997 - 08/06/08 04:08 AM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: DannyL]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
+1 on the 9020G have 2 of them.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#142998 - 08/06/08 05:35 AM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: leemann]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I found this comment on the Backpacking light forum about the Dakar to be instructive:
Quote:
...the Dakar (like the Alpin Pro) does not have lines on the bottom of the capsule to line up with meridians on the map. You have to eyeball north on the compass with the meridians on the map in order to get a bearing from the map. To me, that negates the 1 deg. accuracy that you supposedly get from this compass

Still, the Dakar is intruiging...

#143010 - 08/06/08 01:13 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: SwampDonkey]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I have also use a Silva Ranger Compass both on and off the job for 25 years and they have been great.

Keep in mind that the Silva Ranger you got 25 years ago was made the the real Silva of Sweden, which now owns Brunton and only sells compasses in the U.S. under the Brunton or Nexus trademarks. The current version of that compass IS the Brunton 15TDCL, and its still made by Silva of Sweden.

As I mentioned in the thread above, the Brunton 15TDCL has become my "goto" compass. Very nice, though not cheap. No bubbles - ever.

For a lower cost compass my recommendations are the Suunto M-3 Leader (with the standard needle), or the Brunton 8010G (though the 8010G doesn't seem as refined as the M-3).

I actually carry the Brunton 9020G when I need a real "pocketable" compass, but I've seen several people accidently flip is around and use the wrong end, and I fear this symmetric shape could cause some confusion.

Ken

#143016 - 08/06/08 02:18 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

This compass would probably OK just for map use, but if you're really interested in cross country (off trail) navigation, orienteering, or anything that requires precise readings, this compass isn't going to get you there. With this compass, there is nothing to sight with. You have to look up at the sighting object, look down to the compass, back up to the object, and then back at the compass. No offense intended, but those 1/2 degree markings are a bit of a joke on a compass of this design.

http://www.thecompassstore.com/54lu.html...

Not really. The 54LU allows you to see the target, compass and azimuth all at once.

It is a favorite of the guy who runs MapTools. However, it does not have a declination adjustment. Since it uses a card and not a needle it would be more affected by a bubble.

I don't own one, I just remember him talking about it.

#143018 - 08/06/08 03:02 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I know we keep hitting back to Silva. Now or then. I really like the Ranger model that I picked up well over a decade ago. I actually like Brunton too. In fact I just picked up their monocular last month and for EDC, its great.

Knowing now that Brunton and Silva are the same company is sort of like knowing Starbucks owns Seattles Best Coffee. Both great and each has their own positives.

#143029 - 08/06/08 04:13 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I found this comment on the Backpacking light forum about the Dakar to be instructive:
Quote:
...the Dakar (like the Alpin Pro) does not have lines on the bottom of the capsule to line up with meridians on the map. You have to eyeball north on the compass with the meridians on the map in order to get a bearing from the map. To me, that negates the 1 deg. accuracy that you supposedly get from this compass

Still, the Dakar is intruiging...

No orienting lines on the capsule? Well, that's a deal breaker for me. To bad, since the other features make it so appealing. Back to the ol' Ranger . .

Thanks for the good intel.

Jeff

#143030 - 08/06/08 04:17 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: comms]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: comms
I know we keep hitting back to Silva. Now or then. I really like the Ranger model that I picked up well over a decade ago. I actually like Brunton too. In fact I just picked up their monocular last month and for EDC, its great.

I sure wish I could get my hands on one of the old ones with the aluminum bezel. Speaking of monoculars, have you seen Brunton's new zoom monocular?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=452408

Jeff

#143033 - 08/06/08 04:30 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: Jeff_M]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
No orienting lines on the capsule? Well, that's a deal breaker for me.

It does seem like a pretty glaring omission, unless for some reason the design of the compass does not allow for these. I'm a protractor man myself so it doesn't effect me, but I can see this being an issue for others who want an all-in-one device, as the Dakar is supposed to be.

I wonder if a fine tip Sharpie Marker and a ruler could be used to add the missing lines?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 415 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.