Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#142955 - 08/05/08 09:42 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: haertig]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: haertig
Now that you guys got me reviewing compasses again, I just found this new one (new to ME, at least!) It looks like a nice mix of a lensatic and a baseplate compass. And cheap too. I may have to investigate this new one...

http://www.thecompassstore.com/dakar.html

That is a very interesting compass! I may have to get one. If you get one first, please post a review, and I'll do the same.

Jeff

#142961 - 08/05/08 10:39 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: thseng]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: thseng
Originally Posted By: haertig
The problem is my "old eyes". I'm significantly nearsighted, and have progressive bifocals on top of that. The 8099 is nice because you can line up on your target, and then pull the compass totally away from where you were working, point it any-old-where, and still read the bearing from your targeting work. That is a lifesaver for those of us who cannot focus on the distant target, align the needle (or disk in the case of the 8099), and also read the bearing at the same time. Pictures I've seen of the GI lensatic make me thing you have to be able to work on all those planes of focus at the same time. If you move the compass from your sighting position, you lose the bearing with a lensatic. Is that correct?

The GI does lack the rotating, settable bezel found on clear plastic base plate type compasses. You need to sight the target and read the bearing at the same time. My vision is ok, so I don't know how hard it is to use with glasses.

Nice thing about your type of compass is you can set the bearing from the map without ever having to read anything in degrees.

I'm in the opposite position, never having used a mirrored compass - how exactly do you use the mirror?

Reading a mirror sighting compass is similar to the reading a GI compass. You fold up the mirror to maybe a 50` angle (depending on the model). You sight through the "V" above the mirror while simultaneously aligning the needle on the dial of the compass with the red needle outline on the baseplate of the compass. While you're sighted in, you can read the bearing in the mirror, or just position the compass at waist level for readability and move the red arrow back into alignment and read the bearing.

When one uses a non-mirrored sighting compass, one generally has to take the compass off the target to align the needle and to read the bearing. One typically has to do multiple looks back and forth between the sighting object and the compass, which leads to a less accurate reading. A mirrored compass allows one to set the bearing while sighted in on the sighting object.

A GI compass is more accurate still with front and rear sights, and the magnifying lens in the rear sight allows you to more or less set the bearing while still sighted on the sighting object. It takes a bit of practice, but a GI Compass is about as precise as one can get with a handheld device.

#142963 - 08/05/08 10:57 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: Hikin_Jim]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
GI Compass is about as precise as one can get with a handheld device?

GPS

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#142964 - 08/05/08 11:06 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: haertig]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

This compass would probably OK just for map use, but if you're really interested in cross country (off trail) navigation, orienteering, or anything that requires precise readings, this compass isn't going to get you there. With this compass, there is nothing to sight with. You have to look up at the sighting object, look down to the compass, back up to the object, and then back at the compass. No offense intended, but those 1/2 degree markings are a bit of a joke on a compass of this design.
http://www.thecompassstore.com/54lu.html

Now the Dakar compass looks really interesting. I've not heard of K&R before, so I have no idea as to the quality or durability of their product. If anyone buys one, please do give us a report. The price is certainly right, and you'd have the best of both worlds (military & civilian) in that you'd have a more precise sighting system and a clear base plate with a declination adjustment as well as having a 1:24,000 scale (it doesn't have a 1:62:500 scale).
http://www.thecompassstore.com/dakar.html

The compass I use is a a Silva Ranger. It's one that my uncle bought about 30 years ago and then passed to me after he lost interest in backpacking. It's quite a bit more reasonable than the Brunton model for a much better compass (if you need precision sightings).
http://www.thecompassstore.com/ranger1.html

#142965 - 08/05/08 11:07 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: BobS]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I've often wondered why Brunton can't just engineer a bubble into the Eclipse compasses on purpose and use that as some kind of leveling device - to help ensure that the compass is nearly level ... turning lemons into lemonaide.

Though I REALLY like the Brunton Eclipse 8099, lately I find myself more often bringing along the Brunton 15TDCL (the original mirrored compass by Silva of Sweden - though the newer model has a more rounded cover, which is nice).

#142966 - 08/05/08 11:12 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: BobS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: BobS
GI Compass is about as precise as one can get with a handheld device?

GPS

In terms of sighting, yes. In terms of exact positioning, no; a GPS wins hands down.

GPS's of course are subject to failure, particularly in winter. No matter how fancy GPS's get, I'm going to always carry a map and sighting compass as a back up.

#142967 - 08/05/08 11:15 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: comms]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Watch that bubble closely....it may not be locking up the compass card for you now, but trust me it will sometime. This compass design is definately one that will not work with a large bubble...the compass card simply cannot freely rotate making the compass pure junk.

I would never take an 8096 as my only compass anywhere.

#142971 - 08/06/08 12:19 AM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: Schwert]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
For a protractor, I use a copy of this: http://www.maptools.com/pdf/UTMTools/24kPocket.pdf which is a free download on the www.maptools.com website. I poked a small hole in the very center of it and added a string, add suggested on the Ranger Rick website: http://www.therangerdigest.com/Tips%20Tricks/24%20map%20protactors/24%20map%20protractors.htm

#142974 - 08/06/08 01:03 AM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: Hikin_Jim]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I have also use a Silva Ranger Compass both on and off the job for 25 years and they have been great. I have 3 old ones in the house with bubbles but all as a result of physical damage. I carry my compass in my upper left-side pocket and in the winter when you hit something while driving the snowmobile the compass gets compressed between your chest and handlebars. I have recently been training on a compass in Mils instead of Degrees, it really takes some getting used to this new measurement.

Mike

#142977 - 08/06/08 01:36 AM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: SwampDonkey]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio

I always have a compass on me and a map, not always a super detailed map but none the less a map. I take 2 compasses with me, a pin on ball compass that is hooked to my shirt or coat by my left shoulder and one packed away. The ball compass I look at for a quick reference so I don’t have to power up the GPS so much.

But since getting a Garman GPS 5-years ago it has taken over the place of a compass & map for doing any navigating. I still have a good idea where I am at without it, but it’s nice to know exactly where things (myself included) are. A GPS just does so many nice things that a compass can’t.

When hunting fox at night I can tag my van’s location along a corn field row, I can tag good hunting spots and come back to them months later. While fox hunting I tag any woodchuck holes I see for future varmint hunting spots. I can backtrack to any trail I walked. Night navigation with a GPS is wonderful.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.