Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#142932 - 08/05/08 06:00 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: thseng]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I recently purchased a Brunton 8097 for exactly the reason spelled out by Hikin Jim. The declination math is too easy to get wrong and double-checking takes a lot time. And while my GI lensatic compass was very accurate and durable, for me, reading it was kind of a pain since you have to get the lens, your eyeball and your target in just the right place.

My Brunton also came with a bubble that irritated me quite a bit at first. The bubble is the same size as the "N" circle and it does seem to make the compass disc tilt. However, after some casual testing, it does not really seem to affect the bearing. I had gotten over it until I read this series of posts. So a couple of hours ago I sent an email to Brunton's customer service simply asking if I should return the thing. If I hear anything worthwhile from them, I'll post it here.

#142933 - 08/05/08 06:00 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: Hikin_Jim]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I personally used to hate having to constantly add or subtract the declination amount to convert grid to magnetic and magnetic to grid. When I was a map reading instructor in the Army, one of the most common mistakes I saw was people messing up on the conversion between grid north and magnetic north and magnetic north to grid north. Having a declination adjustable compass means there is no conversion. What you see on the compass is the same as on the map. Effortless.

A declination adjustment is a handy thing to have, after you've learned the difference between grid and mag north.

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

Also, the see-through civilian compasses can be used as a protractor as well as a compass, which is handy. I've lost a lot of military protractors in my time!

In a pinch, you can use the compass to physically orient the map and then get a bearing without using a protractor, but it is less than ideal.

I originally kicked myself for opting for the non-tritium model, but now I've had it so long that the tritium would be about worn out anyway. Mine has a glow in the dark source that you "charge" with a flashlight. It then proceeds to glow so bright it ruins your night vision until shortly before it glows too dim to read.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#142934 - 08/05/08 06:05 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: thseng]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Originally Posted By: thseng

I'm in the opposite position, never having used a mirrored compass - how exactly do you use the mirror?

The mirror, tilted at 45 degrees, allows you to sight your target and see your compass dial at the same time.

#142937 - 08/05/08 06:41 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: Yuccahead]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Yuccahead
Originally Posted By: thseng
I'm in the opposite position, never having used a mirrored compass - how exactly do you use the mirror?
The mirror, tilted at 45 degrees, allows you to sight your target and see your compass dial at the same time.

Here's a good explanation (animated GIF image) of how it works:

http://www.thecompassstore.com/usmircom.html

#142939 - 08/05/08 06:53 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: haertig]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

I see. Thanks to both of you.

#142943 - 08/05/08 07:26 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: comms]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Watch that bubble carefully. I have an Eclipse that has had 3 capsule replacements for a bubble. This compass has a card that a large bubble can bind up making it useless. If the 8096 uses a compass card rather than a needle a large bubble at high altitude can leave you with a non-functioning compass.

I do not trust or use any Brunton with a compass card anymore.

A standard needle type compass can have a very large bubble that will not make it useless, but a card compass can go bad with only a moderate sized bubble.

Brunton has been excellent at replacing the capsules for me, but takeing my Eclipse to high altitude is like hauling expensive junk along....it has never worked.

#142944 - 08/05/08 07:35 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: thseng]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Here's another one I was thinking of getting (Brunton 54LU). http://www.thecompassstore.com/54lu.html You sight it similar to a GI lensatic. However, I couldn't find any locally to test out (to see if it would work with my vision). Also, the scales were for 1:25000 and 1:50000 and I would have preferred 1:24000 and 1:62500 to match US topo maps. Plus, the dang thing seems pretty expensive for what it is. I probably would have opted for the GI lensatic over this model because of its more rugged nature and lack of fluid to experience bubbles. Plus, the GI lensatic, even the tritium one, is less expensive. But the Brunton 54LU is just so "cute", and I like its clear baseplate...

#142946 - 08/05/08 07:43 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: haertig]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

1/2 degree accuracy? Good luck!

#142947 - 08/05/08 07:53 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: thseng]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Now that you guys got me reviewing compasses again, I just found this new one (new to ME, at least!) It looks like a nice mix of a lensatic and a baseplate compass. And cheap too. I may have to investigate this new one...

http://www.thecompassstore.com/dakar.html

#142948 - 08/05/08 08:48 PM Re: Brunton compasses [Re: haertig]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have researched the Brunton Bubble on my 8096 and contacted them personally. The conclusion I have found from them and in other forums is that the bubble does not hamper a solid bearing. My own testing proves this, at least with my own units.

I will continue to use the Brunton in my EDC. I love compasses. I would someday like to have a gentlemen's compass like a Dalvey or Brunton for dress occasions. I have a GPS in my phone but I don't trust it.

I agree with others that the declination aspect of the Bruntons is superior to Silva and the Lensetic. No key, screwdriver or math needed. I like the Brunton style of circle in a circle. Different but good.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 468 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.