Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 13 of 15 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#141305 - 07/25/08 06:27 AM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: OldBaldGuy]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Yeah, if I recall correctly, driving a car with rental plates was assured a robbery/jacking/whatever...

Yes - "Z" plates - Florida (among other states - like NY) used plates starting with "Z" as rental cars (there was some law enforcement reasons they wanted it - don't ask me, probably pre-radio). These made rental cars stick out. The FIRST answer was to pass a law saying "rental cars don't have to start with Z"
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#141311 - 07/25/08 11:06 AM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: Arney]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Yeah, my bad. Horn was charged. The case was dropped by the Grand Jury.

#141330 - 07/25/08 01:12 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Ok, I went back and found it. This is the post that, if true, means that your shot placement will be mostly a matter of luck and not practice.

Since you were quoting me, I feel it important to clarify what I believe is a misinterpretation on your part; that shot placement is a matter of luck and not practice.

Even though the statistics indicate the shooting under dures is more inaccurate than range shooting, the instructor emphasized that practicing simulating duress can improve performance. He said to have the weapon unloaded and have your wife scream in your ear and pull you by the hand/shirt to knock you off balance. He also said to try to backpedal over obstacles at the same time. Try to get front sight picture and squeeze off a "round". I've tried this and it's not easy.

Also, the statistic of 2 out of 10 can be further broken down when realizing that many, if not most of these documented shootings occur in darkness or semi-darkness. When the situation is in daylight with a single officer, the accuracy skyrockets to about 60%. But when it is multiple officers against the BG, the accuracy plummets to around 10%. This may be because multiple officer shootings often occur against a threatening perp with a long gun at some distance. See http://www.surefireinstitute.com/images/pdfs/Officer-Involved_Shooting_Study.pdf for the details.

Again, statistics are fraught with problems...think garbage in, garbage out, but it's all we've got to work with.

But my instructor clearly told us that practice, especially the right kind, will improve your shot placement under stress. Relying on luck would be insane.

#141334 - 07/25/08 01:27 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: red]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
I recently posted the blurb for Evan Marshalls book on stopping power as something people could look at in deciding what ammunition to chose. Someone said he was 'discredited'. I've only read his first book (there are now three) so don't remotely consider myself qualified to say which is correct. Therefore I'm posting (with permission) from Mr Marshalls site. There are more essays there from 'third parties' in the 'commentary' section.
As a pure layman a few things are noticeable in this debate. If, as is often suggested, Mr Marshall is being sponsored to favour a particular ammunition or is biased in favour of a particular calibre. Then he's not doing a very good job of favouring them. Different calibres and manufacturers all do well. The criticism I have read of him was lightweight and not backed by any evidence. After dismissing his findings, the writers then usually go on to recommend their favourite calibre based on anecdotal evidence.
BUT I'm in the UK and haven't seen a gun magazine in a decade. Maybe things have changed.
So here are his articles from his web site.
at http://www.stoppingpower.net/commentary/comm_missing_piece.asp

[Copyrighted articles deleted by Admin. - please respect copyrights and link to articles. Do NOT republish articles on the forum without express permission from the copyright holder. Thanks.]

Edited by Doug_Ritter (07/25/08 03:06 PM)
Edit Reason: Copyright violations

#141388 - 07/25/08 05:36 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: TheSock]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Mr Ritter
I appreciate what you are saying. But if you look at the Stopping Power site forum, you will see Evan Marshall giving me just that.

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15591

The Sock

#141495 - 07/26/08 12:24 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: dweste]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
I'm a small guy (5'9" and 145 lbs) and have been carrying a glock model 33 (.357 sig) in my pants pocket for many years now. It breaks down into a few simple pieces for cleaning in 2 seconds. It's so easy to reassemble after a few times you can literally do it blindfolded. Glock's reputation for reliability is legendary. By one of the snake-type bore cleaners for simplicity and quickness. Good luck. Guns are lots of fun and good for peace of mind.

#141496 - 07/26/08 12:42 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: TheSock]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Sock,
The problem I have with M&S data is that they don't say "why" a particular bad guy stopped after one shot. A low tolerance of pain causing the bad guy to decide to quit and walk home, is much different than his motor functions ceasing and his blood pressure falling to zero.

One of those reasons for stopping is a function of the bullet and its placement, the other is a function of the bad guys state of mind. From what I've seen, M&S data does not take these reasons into account. This raw data isn't exposed. A stop is a stop, reasons are irrelevant. That's my only issue with M&S. Reasons why are relevant.

#141497 - 07/26/08 01:14 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: Russ]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Russ
Actually I don't see why the reason is relevant. If they stopped attacking you who cares why? BUT as I say; I'm arguing from memory of the first book. Best to discuss it on the stopping power web site with people who've seen the latest books, not with me.
The Sock

#141516 - 07/26/08 02:57 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: TheSock]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Maybe true, but the subject of M&S is the stopping power of certain calibers. Why a person stopped should mean a great deal to the study in order to keep the playing field level. He may have stopped for a reason totally independent of what caliber he was hit with.

Person "A" being stopped with a .22 LR hit to the arm because he has a low pain threshold counts the same as Person "B" who takes a .45 ACP to the brain stem is a bean counter approach. They both stopped after one shot, same-same -- not quite.

Consider that a .22 to the brain stem would have stopped either "A" or "B". .45 to the arm may not have stopped "B", let's say it didn't ("B" has a high pain threshold or is on drugs). So what can be gleaned from those results? Obviously a .22 has more stopping power than a .45ACP. Does that make sense? That is why, "why did he stop?" is relevant.

I would prefer a caliber and shot placement that didn't require a weak mindset on the bad guy's part to work.

$.02 -- I don't get paid by a gun rag to make this stuff up.

#141519 - 07/26/08 03:09 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: Russ]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I'd add two points:
1) Someone earlier said "NEVER say you shot to kill in court...". I never read anything in this thread where someone suggested they might do that. We don;t expect people to go jumping up and down in court shouting "kill! kill! kill!", however, if a person is considering a firearm for self defense, let's be honest about what a firearm is for and what it can do.... let's not be squeamish.

2) I think it's good to argue the stopping power of certain calibers but, in the end, generally speaking, the larger caliber bullets will accomplish the mission most effectively. To say there are exceptions is one thing, but again when more stopping power is desired, a large caliber is selected. There is too much empirical evidence provided by way too many law enforcement agencies to effectively argue otherwise.

Page 13 of 15 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 369 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.