Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#141481 - 07/26/08 04:30 AM Re: Well, RATS! Now what? [Re: Susan]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Susan,

I have had road flares in my vehicles (truck, car. van, snowmobile, ATV, boat) for 30 years, never had one go off on it's own.

Just thinking on the level of risk from wildlife involved in a person getting off a train, moving a switch, then getting in a vehicle? Have any railroad workers every been attacked in the past? Maybe the company already has a policy on wild animal dangers and how to deal with them? If it is a significant danger then bring it up to your employer and the Health & Safety Committee for a solution.

I would think that the greater danger to both the track workers and yourself would come from 2 legged predators.

Mike

#141487 - 07/26/08 10:14 AM Re: Well, RATS! Now what? [Re: Susan]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Susan
Pepper spray is not the be-all and end-all of animal self-defense. A friend of mine once referred to it as 'seasoning'.

The be-all end-all of animal self-defense is a 12 gauge shotgun, but your employer may take issue with you carrying one of those around.

The Alaska Department of Natural Resources recommends pepper spray in bear country. So I don't think it's just 'seasoning'.

#141506 - 07/26/08 02:04 PM Re: Well, RATS! Now what? [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...an expanding baton..."

A felony in some places, like CA...

#141507 - 07/26/08 02:09 PM Re: Well, RATS! Now what? [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I carried two or three cases of 30 minutes flares in my trunk for a jillion years. But departmental policy said no flares inside of the vehicle. Fire hazard they claimed. I am like you, I can not see one of those things going off by itself. A lot are a real pain to get lit when you want to. And, if you start swinging one around to scare a critter off, watch out for flying fire. You can easily start a brush fire, and for sure will burn holes in whatever you are wearing. Nylon and some other synthetics will melt right into your skin...

#141553 - 07/26/08 10:11 PM Re: Well, RATS! Now what? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Thank you, Yuccahead for that article. I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with this situation, despite the fact that that fire was started by welders working on the tracks. You see, the flares that were currently in the vehicle were placed there BY the company. This is an about-face on their part.

OBG, I'm just as careful with flares as I am with matches, lighters and campfires. VERY.

SwampDonkey, Safety issues are only given lip service by this company. They cause more problems than they've ever solved. I've checked around, and no one seems to care what they do.

This article from yesterday's local paper indicates the nature of the cougar problem in this area: http://chronline.com/storyoutdoors.php?s...amp;ucat=6&

Sue

#141780 - 07/28/08 12:41 PM Re: Well, RATS! Now what? [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
See my earlier posts about aerosol spray cans and an ignition source. If you need to use fire as a defesne, a poor man's flamethrower would be more effective and a lot quicker to deploy IMHO. Also a lot less likely to be viewed as any sort of risk by some would-be company rep.

#141783 - 07/28/08 01:11 PM Re: Well, RATS! Now what? [Re: benjammin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quicker yet would be a .45 ACP pistol, such as a Glock G-36 or G-21 if you have large enough paws. Even a 9mm such as G-19 I carry when in WA would be a step up from nothing.

Concealed carry is legal in WA with a CPL and while your supe can inspect the truck, he shouldn't be inspecting you. Why plan to use a half-assed weapon when you can carry a real one that will be more than a warm blanket. $.02

#141813 - 07/28/08 02:56 PM Re: Well, RATS! Now what? [Re: benjammin]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
I don't know, never been attacked by a super predator, never considered it either. Boars and jackals don't really warrant defensive measures, since they just want to be left alone. I carry a knife in case they're having a bad day, but plan to use rocks as my primary weapon.

My plan for bear attacks is to basically "run" or "die", as fast as possible in both cases. I guess some sort of a stink-based weapon could work as both effective and public-safe defense.

Originally Posted By: benjammin
See my earlier posts about aerosol spray cans and an ignition source. If you need to use fire as a defesne, a poor man's flamethrower would be more effective and a lot quicker to deploy IMHO. Also a lot less likely to be viewed as any sort of risk by some would-be company rep.

Um, wouldn't that harm both the attacker and attacked equally if used for defending a third party?

Come to think of it, wouldn't a flare have the exact same effect???

www.kravmagafederation.com

#142711 - 08/04/08 07:04 AM Re: Well, RATS! Now what? [Re: Rodion]
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
Law enforcement probably carries millions of flares in their patrol cars. In my years of service, I have never heard of a roadflare accidental discharge.

Has anyone ever used a flare against a bear? It's hard for me to believe that this might work. Harder to believe that one would trust their life to depending on it. A flare, in my mind, is an up-close, contact weapon. Imagine how much time you are going to need for it to work, when all the while the bear is charging and mauling.

I would want some bear spray and a firearm.

#142714 - 08/04/08 09:55 AM Re: Well, RATS! Now what? [Re: xavier01]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I imagine its a knee-jerk reaction, and yet another "zero-tolerance", "zero-intellegence" mandate. We recently had one here regarding eye protection. Every plant employee must now wear safety glasses when outside the office area. Now according to OSHA, they are only required when charging or changing the batteries on the cherry picker, changing the propane tanks on the lift truck, working with caustic materials(my water softner chemicals), or where there is flying debris. Such as working with the drills, saws, grinders, etc..
But because our insurance company wants to minimize actually having to pay out, they have decided to require our company to mandate wearing safety glasses. In 90 degree weather with humidity rarely dropping below the 80's here in Florida, it means im walking/working blind from sweat and "fogging" of the glasses most of the time. But hey, at least my eyeballs will be safe.

-Bill Liptak

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 379 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.