Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#142658 - 08/03/08 11:22 PM Starting over, looking for adventure, etc.?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
As I contemplate starting over, leaving most of my "stuff" behind, I am trying to see the shape of my future. I find I do not want to live a life being less adventurous or free. Yet every job I look at seems to guarantee I will have to surrender or defer being adventurous, happy, and free.

Maybe these are immature fantasies or a mid-life crisis, but I find myself being wiling to trade away higher income and more "stuff" for what looks to me a greater chance to experience more adventure, happiness, and freedom.

I look at friends, family, and aquaintences and do not see that they are adventurous or happy much of the time. From the outside and from my conversations with them, everyone feels locked-in - even if for some it is with the "golden handcuffs" of a well-paying job.

So I am looking at how much I need versus want, that sort of thing. I doubt if these are new questions for you either.

How about you? Getting the adventure, happiness, and freedom you were expecting? How about your loved ones? If not, what should be done about it?

Thanks.

#142666 - 08/04/08 12:36 AM Re: Starting over, looking for adventure, etc.? [Re: dweste]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: dweste
As I contemplate starting over, leaving most of my "stuff" behind, I am trying to see the shape of my future. I find I do not want to live a life being less adventurous or free. Yet every job I look at seems to guarantee I will have to surrender or defer being adventurous, happy, and free.

Maybe these are immature fantasies or a mid-life crisis, but I find myself being wiling to trade away higher income and more "stuff" for what looks to me a greater chance to experience more adventure, happiness, and freedom.

I look at friends, family, and aquaintences and do not see that they are adventurous or happy much of the time. From the outside and from my conversations with them, everyone feels locked-in - even if for some it is with the "golden handcuffs" of a well-paying job.

So I am looking at how much I need versus want, that sort of thing. I doubt if these are new questions for you either.

How about you? Getting the adventure, happiness, and freedom you were expecting? How about your loved ones? If not, what should be done about it?

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with re-evaluating one's life dweste, just be careful of the greener grass on the other side of the fence fallacy.

There's a saying I read a long time ago that sticks with me.

"The only Zen one finds at the top of the mountain is the Zen one brings with him".

If finding a new simpler career is what you really want for your life, is consistent with what you value, and you can make it work, go for it.

If you feel there's something missing in your life and you looking to a bit of adventure to fill it, you may be very disappointed.

I find raising my child to be all the "adventure" I can handle. What a wild strange trip it's been so far.....

#142667 - 08/04/08 12:36 AM Re: Starting over, looking for adventure, etc.? [Re: dweste]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
You need very little. It's always those damn wants...

#142669 - 08/04/08 12:41 AM Re: Starting over, looking for adventure, etc.? [Re: samhain]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Amen Samhain!!

I think that most people who try that greener grass also discover that it usually has a very sour aftertaste!

#142677 - 08/04/08 01:32 AM Re: Starting over, looking for adventure, etc.? [Re: wildman800]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

It's ironic how we seek to make more money to have a better life, but in the process we surrender our life to our work. We buy things to entertain us, but who has time for entertainment? There's more work that needs doing.

#142680 - 08/04/08 01:44 AM Re: Starting over, looking for adventure, etc.? [Re: dweste]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Given the difficulties you've gone through, it's wise to give yourself time to grieve, re-centre, and re-focus. That takes time, and a change of scenery helps.

If you can live a life of "voluntary simplicity" for a year without causing hardship for others, I say do it.

But don't lose touch with your old network of friends and business acquaintances (assuming they're positive influences). Send them postcards and letters about your adventures and travels -- they'll be insanely jealous. Buy 'em a beer when you're in town. When you're ready to get back into the game, the contacts in your network will be worth their weight in gold.

My 2¢.

#142682 - 08/04/08 02:02 AM Re: Starting over, looking for adventure, etc.? [Re: dweste]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We just recently sort of started over. I prayed to over three years to get a fresh start when we realized that we can't raise kids where we were and couldn't make any more due to finances. I switched from a contract worker to a full time employee with a company I was contracted to and three years, three bonuses, 4 pay raises, one promotion and two kids later we are in a new place. We would drive by where we lice now knowing we could never afford one of those places but the income change, paying off debt, low housing prices and a good offer on our old house made it happen.

I try to keep adventure going. Nearly every weekend we try to go do something, get up sat morning, toss the kids in the truck and hit the road. Pick a state park or something and head there for the day. My son is 2.5 years old now and has been tent camping three times, stayed in a state park lodge twice, rental cabins twice, has been to six states, only one we haven't stayed overnight in (we drive straight through PA, avoid stopping there). Wife sometimes fights me when getting ready to go but afterward brags about our trips.

#142685 - 08/04/08 02:27 AM Re: Starting over, looking for adventure, etc.? [Re: Eugene]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Thanks to all, and please keep it coming.

I was particulary struck by the comments of dougwalkabout.
Thanks.

#142686 - 08/04/08 02:43 AM Re: Starting over, looking for adventure, etc.? [Re: dweste]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Want a simple life, look here.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#142690 - 08/04/08 03:00 AM Re: Starting over, looking for adventure, etc.? [Re: dweste]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Check out this Wikapedia info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liveaboard

I prefer the idea of living aboard a boat, BUT that is my personal preference. I can equally go for living aboard a small RV or a van, as well. Especially the van!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.