Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#142675 - 08/04/08 01:28 AM Used motor oil - rubbish or resource?
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Just had a look through my shop -- seems I've been accumulating 5 gallon pails of used motor oil for some years now.

I know that in the "old days" lead contamination made this stuff fairly nasty to the environment. I also know that there are combustion byproducts like phenols that are far from benign. Hey, I grow food and drink groundwater, so I want to do my "due diligence."

Changing my own oil in yard equipment and cars/trucks has saved me a bundle. The local recycler will take it if I drop it off. But I wonder if I should be constructively lazy and keep a bunch around as emergency heating fuel etc.

Thoughts?

#142684 - 08/04/08 02:26 AM Re: Used motor oil - rubbish or resource? [Re: dougwalkabout]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Back while I was in high school and working for a local gas station. The station owner had installed a waste oil furnace, it worked great. It also burnt about 4-gal of oil a day because the garage doors were always being opened.

Waist oil is a good useable fuel, but I don’t see the few gallons you have as very useful to you.

I don't know how useful 5-gal of any oil be without an ongoing supply of it like waste oil is an ongoing free supply to a auto repair shop? they get it for free and it's endless to them.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#142688 - 08/04/08 02:52 AM Re: Used motor oil - rubbish or resource? [Re: BobS]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
BobS- I also wonder if it matters if its synthetic or not? I've been collecting oilin 5g jugs too... I normally get rid of mine but it may be useful? I mix synthetic and non so probably not much usage?

#142691 - 08/04/08 03:03 AM Re: Used motor oil - rubbish or resource? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
A long time ago I read an article about a guy who recycled his own motor oil. He had a system where the used oil was first filtered through several (3-6?) rolls of toilet paper. This filtered out all the particulate matter, neutralized the acid components and actually replaced some minor chemicals of the oil that are also found in TP. The filtered oil drained down into a drum which was laying down on it's side. The oil was heated by a light bulb in this drum and this heating drove out the water. He had sent samples of his finished product in for testing somewhere and it came back as very, very close to fresh oil. He reused it over and over in his vehicles without any problems.

I think it was in Mother Earth News. I did a quick google search but couldn't find anything.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#142699 - 08/04/08 03:37 AM Re: Used motor oil - rubbish or resource? [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

That's very interesting. (And also slightly hilarious -- if I had to choose between motor oil and TP, which would it be? Both are the basis of civilization as we know it. Hmm.)

I know the base petroleum is completely recyclable. They clean out the crud, put in new additives, and sell it to you again.

It's the additives I'd worry about. Though in a real pinch, TP filtration plus a little fresh oil might keep an old Toyota or Chevy rolling a bit longer.

#142701 - 08/04/08 03:56 AM Re: Used motor oil - rubbish or resource? [Re: BobS]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

You're right, the 20 gallons I have won't go all that far, at least on its own.

I was thinking of it more as an additive, to bump up the heat value of low-grade fuels like sawdust, wood chips, bark, junk coal, etc. Once up to heat, and with a good draft, each would help the other burn.

In that context, a cup or two of used motor oil might be very useful. It might also be highly available when other traditional fuels are very scarce.

#142704 - 08/04/08 04:10 AM Re: Used motor oil - rubbish or resource? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
You're right, the 20 gallons I have won't go all that far, at least on its own.

I was thinking of it more as an additive, to bump up the heat value of low-grade fuels like sawdust, wood chips, bark, junk coal, etc. Once up to heat, and with a good draft, each would help the other burn.

In that context, a cup or two of used motor oil might be very useful. It might also be highly available when other traditional fuels are very scarce.

20g would be plenty to heat my garage for a winter. It depends where you live. In the Sacramento area of CA where I am we don't have to many cold days or nights, and even then they are not under 30* regularly so raising the garage temps to T-Shirt would be fairly easy and with good insulation it wouldn't need to run all day. So, for me 20g would be fine in a waste heater but like I said mine is a mix of syn, and non, and I don't have near 20g on hand.

I know I use some for drilling in steel, it's a good cheap lubricant. It would take a while to use 20g for this too laugh

-Todd

#142705 - 08/04/08 04:11 AM Re: Used motor oil - rubbish or resource? [Re: Todd W]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Here's one source regarding burning oils, including synthetic:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/deq-ess-p2tas-burningusedoil_190423_7.pdf

They don't appear to raise any objections that I can see.

#142707 - 08/04/08 04:41 AM Re: Used motor oil - rubbish or resource? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#142710 - 08/04/08 05:58 AM Re: Used motor oil - rubbish or resource? [Re: Raspy]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Awesome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.