Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#142268 - 07/30/08 05:19 PM US military poncho liner or fleece banket?
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I'm looking for something lightweight/low bulk to keep the chill off when camping in spring and fall. It seems a lot of people like the poncho liner, but how does it compare to a simple fleece blanket? This would normally be used either backpacking or paddling to the campsite. Temperatures would be 60's-70's F.

1. Will a wet poncho liner still keep a person warm?
2. How small can an offical US military poncho liner be scrunched?
3. How dangerous are flames/sparks/heat to a poncho liner?
4. Anything else you think I should know?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#142270 - 07/30/08 05:22 PM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Blast]
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
I've had a little experience with both materials used in the same application -- a top sheet for use in a hammock.

Neither has been exposed to a sparky wood fire, so I can't comment on that.

But my Thinsulate poncho liner is a LOT lighter and more compact than a comparable fleece blanket.

That's all I can contribute.

Bear

#142274 - 07/30/08 05:40 PM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: dchinell]
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
Most excellent question Blast. I've used the fleece blanket many times as I don't have a ponco liner. I've got a fleece sleeping bag big enough for a 6'1'' 240 lb guy crammed into a stuff sack small than a loaf of bread. Yep, it weighs a little, but not much.

As for the spark issue, I know that I have a fleece jacket that I was wearing on one outing and after being around the fire all night, I had several small holes where sparks had caught and actually burned right through. I would imagine the blanket would act the same.

I would interested to see the difference between the two item while wet.

Coleman makes, or rather made a 32 degeree bag called the Canyon that really scrunches down. It's only a 32 degree bag with clothing...trust me, but it works great for early fall trips. I got mine on eBay for really cheap.

#142275 - 07/30/08 06:06 PM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Blast]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Limited experience with either item in camping, extensive experience with both on my bed. The fleece is heavier, relatively bulky when folded, rolled or stuffed, and stays where you put it. The liner is lighter, less bulky, and slicker than snot. One can spend an active night chasing the liner around the bed and onto the floor. Dogs love the liner as a snooze locus, but slide off the bed in hilarious fashion when they jump on it. (I don't get out much). Dirt, debris, and dog hair slide off the liner, and are attracted by powerful molecular forces to the fleece. Neither seems particularly warm when wet (don't ask), but both can be
Click to reveal..
squeezed
squose squosen wrung out easily and dry quickly. The army apparently designed the poncho-liner system for use in mild wet climates, and I thing it is marginally better. Laced into its poncho, it would be less elusive. And as indicated above, the least expensive, mildest-weather-rated rectangular polyester/nylon bad might be just as effective. No experience with fire issues, but suspect these, like most synthetics, would be quite flammable.

#142276 - 07/30/08 06:45 PM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: nursemike]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I'm trying to find a replacement for sleeping bags. Sleeping bags have zipper issues, washing issues, bulk issues, etc. Plus I find trying to wriggle my 6'5" - 220lb frame into a sleeping bag inside a bivysack is a pain. I'm lazy in the woods, I just want to throw something over me and fall asleep to visions of ESSBers...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#142278 - 07/30/08 07:28 PM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Blast]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I am 6'3" and am happy with an REI Travel Sack. It is a very light 55+ synthetic sleeping bag that stuffs into a small loaf of bread size. I mostly use it totally unzipped as a throw over in warm weather. I think it costs something like $50 - $60.

#142279 - 07/30/08 07:32 PM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay, from my experience, a poncho and a fleece blanket, at least the ones I use really don't compare well insofaras what I would prefer for a sleeping bag replacement. IMHO, the right fleece blanket is a most suitable replacement, while the poncho is marginal at best.

I refer you to the waterproof fleece products made by riverswest. I've recommended these in the past, and I stand by the product still. These are not your momma's fleece products. They are heavy duty, they will keep you warm and dry, and they will take a helluva lot of abuse. Their product gaurantee cannot be beat. In addition to a number of outer garments I own and have worn in some of the worst conditions the Colorado Rockies could throw at me in February while hunting coyotes, as well as trout fishing in the Blue mountains in spring with torrential rains and 40 degree winds churning the air, I also recently acquired what they refer to as an artillery blanket. It is big enough for me to completely bundle up in ( I am a little bit bigger than you, Blast, both in height and girth), and it was a most excellent ground pad for a recent shooting exercise in miserably wet conditions.

The fleece is actually two thin but tightly woven layers that are bonded together with a breathable but waterproof barrier and reinforcing material. This makes them considerable denser than the typical fleece, but also adds to their durability. The material is nonetheless quite comfortable against the skin, and fairly quiet. It breaks in over time, becoming more supple and less rigid after a few uses and a couple washings.

Check out their website and see for yourself. My product endorsements are very rare, but when I find something that works above and beyond my expectations, something I know I can rely on, I am quite willing to let others know.

http://www.riverswest.com/

#142285 - 07/30/08 08:15 PM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: NightHiker]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
I 2nd NH's recommendation. A poncho liner is versatile and very packable. I also 2nd the recommendation that you include the poncho - together they give you several shelter options and are still easy to pack in a small space - about half that of a down sleeping bag in a stuff sack.

#142287 - 07/30/08 08:23 PM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I haven't ever used the liner but I've been thinking about getting one for reasons that have been espoused here at ETS.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com did have 2 patterns of liners in their catalogs but I can't find those now. They may still have them on their website although they didn't put it in this latest catalog.

#142288 - 07/30/08 08:28 PM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Blast]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm

Ray Jardine's instructions on making an ultralight quilt, lighter, warmer, than most alternatives.

The cat would like the liner.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.