Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#142302 - 07/30/08 11:16 PM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: benjammin]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Thanks benjammin for the heads up on Rivers West, I like the H2P Artillery Blanket that was on the web site. I just ordered one from Bakers and will give it a try as a replacement for my 20 year old military poncho from the corp.

Added note: I do admit, my poncho has served me through many years and is extremely durable. In the cooler weather up north I've had to adjust a little before resorting to a bag but I would like to give benjammin fleece idea a try and see how it holds up against the poncho. The waterproof and durability of the product as well as benjammins recommendations sparked me to look into this.

#142303 - 07/30/08 11:38 PM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: falcon5000]
JustinC Offline

Loc: New England
Blast -

A poncho liner is one piece of military gear that advanced the military so far that an achievement of similar magnitude will never be made again. Well, maybe not, but I'm very fond of mine.

I LOVE my poncho liner. It will roll down to about 10" long and the diameter of a snuff can (or maybe just a tad bigger) if you work at it. Lightweight as you could ask for, has ties built in for use as a shade structure (and of course, tying it into a poncho). I am not sure what the temps get down to in winter in TX, so I'm not going to guarantee it'll keep you warm, but it kept me warm in NC through every season (not to mention in many, many other forests, countries, tents, "hootches", mountains, etc. for eight years of military service). And it's the same one. I bought it at a gun show when I was 16 or 17 and 10 years later she's still with me.

Poncho liner? I'd take it over a wool blanket all day long and twice on Tuesday.

#142306 - 07/31/08 12:13 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Blast]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Blast

Quote:
Temperatures would be 60's-70's F.

Is this the low night time temperature or the day time temperature? If its the nightime temperature I wouldn't need either a blanket or Poncho Liner but would use something like a very thin sleeping bag silk liner (if the temperature was in the lower 60s F). A night time temperature from the 50's - 60's F would require the addition of something like a thin merino wool blanket.

#142308 - 07/31/08 12:35 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Blast]
jasond Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
I believe that the poncho liner is much more versatile and is an excellent item to have. I have two of my own and take them on all camping trips or even extended road trips that I go on. One bad thing about the liner is that as some already stated it is very slippery and tends to slide of while I'm asleep. But other than that its one of the best pieces of gear I have.

#142311 - 07/31/08 01:09 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Okay, the poncho liner wins. Benjammin, I've drooled over that RiverWest(?) stuff since the first time you mentioned them, but I think it'd be overkill. I have a military poncho already, combining it with the liner makes the most sense.

The 60-70's are nighttime temps, I just want something I can throw over me while I sleep. Judging from my normal body temp levels, I think I'd be comfortable with this setup down into the low 50's inside the bivy.

Thanks all!

-Blast

p.s. This is the one I'm getting, probably digital camo.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#142312 - 07/31/08 01:23 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Blast]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I've heard that some of the civilian repros with Thinsulate are actually better than the military issued ones. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone out there used both and have some "on the ground" experience to share?

Also, not to throw a monkey wrench into anyone's plans, but there are down bags that are lighter than the two pound weight listed on the link that Blast provided. My 32F/0C Western Mountaineering bag weighs 19oz (1lbs, 3oz). It packs small. I unzip it and use it like a blanket if it's warm. Note that lightweight down bags are really expensive. For $21.97 you can't beat the poncho liner.

#142313 - 07/31/08 01:32 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JustinC Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I've heard that some of he civilian repros with Thinsulate are actually better than the military issued ones. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone out there used both and have some "on the ground" experience to share?

Also, not to throw a monkey wrench into anyone's plans, but there are down bags that are lighter than the two pound weight listed on the link that Blast provided. My 32F/0C Western Mountaineering bag weighs 19oz (1lbs, 3oz). It packs small. I unzip it and use it like a blanket if it's warm. Note that lightweight down bags are really expensive. For $21.97 you can't beat the poncho liner.

Thinsulate models are better - I should have mentioned that mine is Thinsulate. At times during my career (formal/standardized schools) I had to use USGI gear, and it wasn't as warm. I'd still take one in a heartbeat, though. Putting it inside the poncho makes it much warmer, as well.

I have an ultra-light bag, too, but unzipped it's maybe 1/3 the size of an poncho liner (not quite as versatile for shade, getting multiple people in, etc.).

C'mon, Blast, go old-school with some woodland camo or tri-color desert instead of that light grey/slightly darker grey #$%^!!! Seriously, you should be well served by a poncho liner, regardless of color. The poncho liner is near and dear to my heart - make sure and let me know how you like it.

Edited by JustinC (07/31/08 01:33 AM)
Edit Reason: Grammatical Correction

#142314 - 07/31/08 01:40 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I was off touring the USS Turner Joy today, so am coming into this a little late, since Blast has already made his decision. The right one, by the way...

#142316 - 07/31/08 01:50 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

Good point and suggestions. I've always thought of poncho liners as multi-use, fairly inexpensive, make-do and semi-disposable, and down bags as specialized tools for backpacking, far more delicate but comfortable to much lower temperatures. I also have heard that keeping down bags stuffed may be harmful to them. BTW, those WM bags are amazing, aren't they?

Jeff

#142321 - 07/31/08 03:16 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i used a poncho liner in 1969..i thought it was warmer
lighter,"softer" and not as slick as the newer ones.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.