Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#142323 - 07/31/08 03:43 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: JustinC]
horizonseeker Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: JustinC

It will roll down to about 10" long and the diameter of a snuff can (or maybe just a tad bigger) if you work at it.

any particular way you work at it? I like the poncho liner but don't like the bulk.

thanks.

#142325 - 07/31/08 03:58 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Jeff_M]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
blast
Wiggys has had poncho liners on sale and they have a good rep.
poncho liners

The Usual Disclaimers yada yada.

Lee

Edited by leemann (07/31/08 04:03 AM)
Edit Reason: Added
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#142327 - 07/31/08 04:10 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Jeff_M]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Good point and suggestions. I've always thought of poncho liners as multi-use, fairly inexpensive, make-do and semi-disposable, and down bags as specialized tools for backpacking, far more delicate but comfortable to much lower temperatures. I also have heard that keeping down bags stuffed may be harmful to them. BTW, those WM bags are amazing, aren't they?

Yes, the Western Mountaineering bags are pretty nice. A bag you can take down to freezing that weighs just slightly more than one pound and stuffs to the size of a smallish loaf of bread is kinda cool. smile WM has an even lighter bag, but I wanted the versatility of the full length zip so that the bag can be used in hotter wx. You are correct that you shouldn't store down in such a way that is compressed. If compressed for too long period of time, the down doesn't bounce back, and it loses some of its insulative capacity.

The poncho liners are a good bet though. In my time in the military and subsequently I've never run across a person who had a bad word to say about them. I don't think they're good for specialized, high altitude mountaineering outings, but dang they'd be good in moderate weather for an awful lot of applications. Plus, for the price, why not get several -- for you BOB, your car kit, for your workplace, etc? Combine it with a poncho, and you got yourself a nice little sleep system.

#142328 - 07/31/08 04:19 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: JustinC]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I've heard that some of the civilian repros with Thinsulate are actually better than the military issued ones. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone out there used both and have some "on the ground" experience to share?

Thinsulate models are better - I should have mentioned that mine is Thinsulate. At times during my career (formal/standardized schools) I had to use USGI gear, and it wasn't as warm. I'd still take one in a heartbeat, though. Putting it inside the poncho makes it much warmer, as well.

Thanks! Good to have confirmation from someone who has actually "been there and done that."

#142330 - 07/31/08 07:44 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: horizonseeker]
JustinC Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: horizonseeker

It will roll down to about 10" long and the diameter of a snuff can (or maybe just a tad bigger) if you work at it.

any particular way you work at it? I like the poncho liner but don't like the bulk.

thanks.

First you have to break it in. New poncho liners are very stiff. Washing it a couple times might help it overcome that initial rigitiy, as will repeated use and stuffing into the bottom of a pack. Once its nice and soft it'll get much smaller, much easier. Or maybe mine's just so old there isn't much left...

#142332 - 07/31/08 10:34 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: JustinC]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
So basically, first kill all the loft in the insulation?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#142333 - 07/31/08 10:49 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: ironraven]
JustinC Offline

Loc: New England
It keeps me warm. YMMV.

#142334 - 07/31/08 11:32 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Blast]
NAro Offline
Addict

Given your....er..."jumbo size", Blast, let me suggest what's worked for me. Many fabric stores (in my case Hancock Fabrics, a national chain).. but I've seen them on the internet too.. sell 100% polyester fleece for $6.00 or less per yard (at a 58-60" width). I got a couple at 2.5 yards, and use them all of the time when camping: alone, or as an extra layer in my sleeping bag when it's too cold.

I've found various thicknesses, but for me the thinest was warm enough for spring and early fall camping. I cut a slit in a shorter piece (1.5yds) and use it as a poncho or a blanket, too.

#142335 - 07/31/08 11:36 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Given your location and where you are most likely to venture, I would have to concede that the liner is more likely ideal for your needs. For what I do and where I like to go, it just isn't enough. But it would be overkill here in Florida, and where you are as well.

I'll say this, though, for it being advertised as fleece, it is as sturdy as any tarp I've ever come across. I'd have no worries using it as a ground cover under a tent, or as an awning over the top. Short of pulling out a knife, you are not going to rip, tear, cut, or puncture that stuff otherwise. It also has problems with open flame, but I've yet to burn a hole through any of mine, despite sitting beside some fairly big pine and fir bonfires at elk camp. Even if you do manage to put a hole in it or tear it, the warranty covers repair/replacement.

A poncho liner is a versatile thing, and would probably suit me better here. Any other fleece material I know of is going to be less versatile by far than either the liner or the Riverswest stuff.

In an ideal world, I guess it would be best to have both?

#142336 - 07/31/08 11:38 AM Re: US military poncho liner or fleece banket? [Re: ironraven]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Not exactly. With the Riverswest, you need to work the fibers between the fleece layers a little, kinda like breaking in a good lasso.

My fleece suit has gotten a lot more supple with use, and yet still keeps me warm and dry in the mountain snow.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.