The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#142180 - 07/30/08 03:14 AM Going Solar
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Here's a really interesting, technically informative article by a guy who moved his house to solar power. Among the many interesting things, it was far more cost efficient to go 75% solar than to go off the grid completely. The article has lots of great details and pictures. The cost was $35K, which he expects to recoup in 9 years, although the system sounds very experimental, so who knows how it will work out. (It also certainly helps that he lives in CA.)

#142186 - 07/30/08 04:42 AM Re: Going Solar [Re: Fitzoid]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I haven't read it yet but 9 years to recoup initial investment most likely? I'd imagine in that 9 year time span he's going to need batteries and misc other things.

I believe that not only does solar equipment need to get cheaper but the appliances most people rely on need to get more efficient.

In reality you can go 100% solar pretty darn easy if you don't have many appliances at all wink

Clothe line or propane dryer.
Propane water heater.
Propane oven.

Those are mostly the big power zappers unless you are like me and weld, and work in the garage to make stuff.... then you really can't go 100% off the grid unless you get a generator made for that (they have them).

I think there are a lot of options and going 100% off grid and living 100% the same is EXPENSIVE. If you re-arrange and make some sacrifices it makes it a bit cheaper.

Since I don't plan to power everything 100% by solar myself my future goal is to have segments available to solar if my power goes out and then maybe slowly fade from the grid.

Enough rambling.

-Todd

#142190 - 07/30/08 05:53 AM Re: Going Solar [Re: Todd W]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
One of the HUGE "tricks" in not going 100% solar - you can do what is called a "grid tied" system - no batteries at ALL is the huge advantage. You sell power during the day (which is when the utilities need the most), and buy at night

slight disclaimer:
3 guys I used to work with 10 years ago own the company that makes a LOT of the inverters used in solar/wind power (the wind power on the BIG windmills). Other than Christmas cards, and the occasional hello, I have no interest in their company
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#142195 - 07/30/08 10:17 AM Re: Going Solar [Re: KG2V]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Without batteries you're still screwed when the power grid goes down.
Grid tied system is a good idea as it lowers the investment, but you need at least a small battery system.

#142197 - 07/30/08 11:20 AM Re: Going Solar [Re: Nishnabotna]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats why I'm not a fan of the grid tie systems. Here every time there is a little rain the power goes out or when someone cuts an underground line or when someone else connectes a new branch circuit and overloads the transformer. Were without power once a month on average, and twice in the last three years I've had to go back home upon arriving at work to find no power.
It seems pointless to me to have invested all the $ in generating your own power if your going to just put it back into the grid then when you need it most not have it avaulable because the grid went down.

#142234 - 07/30/08 02:46 PM Re: Going Solar [Re: Fitzoid]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
It would be awesome to set something like that up on my house, but I don't think they could handle a hurricane. frown

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#142235 - 07/30/08 03:01 PM Re: Going Solar [Re: Nishnabotna]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Nishnabotna
Grid tied system is a good idea as it lowers the investment, but you need at least a small battery system.

Yes, that IS the problem with grid tie - grid is down, you are down. I'm not too worried
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#142246 - 07/30/08 03:41 PM Re: Going Solar [Re: KG2V]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I agree that to spend that money and still be at the mercy of the grid seems like the wrong way to do it.

I understand the idea of selling extra electricity you produce to the electricity company. This could be a good first step and from this grid-tied system to work to change it to an off grid system when money allows.

I applaud this guy, he’s doing more then most of us are doing.

Edited by BobS (07/30/08 03:43 PM)

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#142248 - 07/30/08 03:44 PM Re: Going Solar [Re: KG2V]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
Originally Posted By: Nishnabotna

Yes, that IS the problem with grid tie - grid is down, you are down. I'm not too worried

It must not get too cold where you are then wink
It's a real beach when the power goes out for a week in the middle of winter (unless you've made conitngency plans that don't count on the power grid I suppose.)

#142249 - 07/30/08 03:45 PM Re: Going Solar [Re: Blast]
NorCalDennis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sierra Foothills, Nor Cal
We installed a solar system at our 5 acre ranch earlier this year.

I couln't imagine using the volume of power the guy from the article uses. As ToddW mentioned, we line dry our clothes and have propane for our stovetop/oven, water heater and furnace (and burn wood to supplement there too).

The system we installed was 18 - 200w Sanyo panels for 3.6Kw. We opted for two inverters, although one would have worked so that we have the capabilities to add capacity at a later date. Having 5 acres we were able to pole mount the panels in one of our pastures for optimum exposure.

As Eugene mentions, the standard 'grid tied' system works great as long as the power utility is up, but once their power goes down - so does yours! For this reason we installed a modified system that included 12-126a 12v AGM batteries in three series of 48v. When the power goes off, we maintain power to critical loads (well pump, fridge, most lights, office computer) with seamless power. We also have a 7500w (B&S) back up generator that we can patch into the system should we sustain an extended power outage during and extended storm. This is enough to power our home and recharge the batteries over a three hour period. Although, with some conservation, the battery back up should get us through several days of off grid power with little or no power coming from the panels.

We have a net meter installed and were able to get P.G.& E.'s E-7 rate plan. The rate (coming in or going out) is about $0.09 per Kw hour off peak and $0.30 per Kw hour on peak (M-F 12N to 6PM). Essentially at the peak of their demand we are selling power back to them at $0.30 per Kw and buying it back at $0.09 per Kw. Over the past week we have accumulated 7 Kw hours of off peak credit ($0.63) and 45 Kw hours of peak credit ($13.50). One catch with PG&E is that you will not get a credit check back from them - and the credits are only energy credits against energy use that are zero'd out annually - if your owe them, you pay them; if they owe you, you get nothing and the process starts over. That is why unless you are going completely off grid it doesn't pay to have a system that produces above your usage. Also, somehow PG&E has mandatory charges of about $12.00 per month to look at your net meter - go figure.

In all, we expect to about zero out our bill annually and have the ability to function for extended periods of time off the grid, should the circumstances call for it. Our system, after rebates, cost us about $40,000 (the battery back up added about $7,500 to a standard grid tied system).

If you can go solar and be self sufficient I would do it. I can only imagine power costs going up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by brandtb
28 minutes 12 seconds ago
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.