Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#142061 - 07/29/08 03:37 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: SwampDonkey]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Swampdonkey,

I have the Fenix T1 and it is an impressive Flashlight and has an excellent smooth powerful beam. Only Flashlights equipped with the SSC P7 LED will better it. It is also one tough flashlight.

The T1 is available at a lower cost than the TK10 at around $68

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=386

Your decision between a T1, TK10 and the TK11 will probably be determined by the cell choice. The TK11 will take a 18650 cell which will give slightly better runtimes than the TK10 using 2 CR123As. The TK11 probably fits all your requirements. The TK11 will also take CR123s as well.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=497

I have also just recently got a monster flashlight for home and possibly vehicle use, the Aurora AK-P7-3 SSC P7-C 5-Mode LED Flashlight. It's just slightly smaller and lighter than a Maglite 2C. It gives a huge bright smooth beam with a Lumen rating around 600-800. grin

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14212

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (07/29/08 03:39 PM)

#142066 - 07/29/08 04:01 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the reply Am_Fear_Liath_mor,

I was not aware of the Fenix T1 as my local suppler does not stock it?

It is proabaly going to be a decision between the Fenix TK10 or TK11; is the only real difference between these 2 lights the availability of the rechargable battery in the TK11?

The reason I ask is because I will be using CR123A batteries anyway because we buy them in bulk at work.

Mike

Edited by SwampDonkey (07/29/08 04:16 PM)

#142072 - 07/29/08 04:33 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: SwampDonkey]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
...is the only real difference between these 2 lights the availability of the rechargable battery in the TK11?

I think that's the only difference, as far as I can tell from the specs. The TK11 can use both CR123's or a lithium ion rechargeable. But, if you can get CR123's from work, the TK10 is an excellent choice.

Rechargeable lithium ion-powered lights, obviously, have the advantage of being...well...rechargeable, but they also have the nasty habit of suddenly shutting off when the battery voltage gets too low and the cell's protection circuit switches off to prevent battery damage. That would be one difference between using your old NiCd-powered lights and today's lithium ion-powered rechargeable lights. At least with CR123's, the light will dim first so you have some warning while still having usable light for a fairly significant length of time.

#142077 - 07/29/08 06:11 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: Arney]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm not in the law enforcement biz, but I am a flashlight nut, so here are a few personal comments:

My experience with Fenix lights (AA versions) has been mixed. They are VERY bright and very efficient in battery usage. But out of the four I own, one suffered substantial problems. It didn't fail entirely (high mode still works) but it lost low mode and nobody can give me an answer as to why. That has punctured my confidence. I still use them, but I make a point of having a backup light.

In contrast, the five Streamlight LED lights I have are heavy, old tech, bombproof, and utterly reliable. They inspire absolute confidence for me; I have yet to find a reason to doubt their reliability. (I have a wholesale source and need to try out the C4s, which are likely select versions of Cree or Phillips LEDs.)

Anyway, FWIW, If my bacon was on the line I'd carry a Streamlight.

Edited by dougwalkabout (07/29/08 06:12 PM)

#142130 - 07/29/08 10:59 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: pforeman]
HerbG Offline

Let me suggest you take a look at the Wolf Eyes flashlight line from Pacific Tactical at: www.pts-flashlights.com/

I have two of their lights and have been completely satisfied. You will find several models of LED rechargeable lights that meet all of the requirements you listed and at a reasonable price. Their Sniper series has several models that you might check out.

Edited by HerbG (07/29/08 11:01 PM)

#142146 - 07/30/08 12:05 AM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: HerbG]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Arney and Herb,

Wolf Eyes seem like quality lights but I cannot find a Canadian retailer, that is a problem with this purchase.

Mike

#142155 - 07/30/08 12:41 AM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Hey, what do you think of the Aurora? That looks interesting.

Also, how is the regulation? Does it step down quickly? (Unfortunately, there's nothing about it on flashlightreviews.com.)

And why am I suspicious of a 900-lumen light for $60? smile

Edit: I just read some reviews. Sounds like it's mostly spill with little throw, i.e., a wide beam that doesn't travel as far as one might hope. Build quality also seems to be a bit lacking. Anyway, not a bad deal, but I wish the beam extended a little further...

#142167 - 07/30/08 01:58 AM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: SwampDonkey]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Wolf Eyes seem like quality lights but I cannot find a Canadian retailer, that is a problem with this purchase.

Pacific Tactical Solutions is the sole US Wolf Eyes distributor and by default, I guess they're also for Canada. They do ship to Canada from what I have heard. I have bought from PTS in the past with no problems.

You should at least peruse their website, which focuses on tactical lights. There are other brands that maybe you have never heard about before, like Olight and Tiablo, which are well known to the flashlight crowd but unknown outside that circle.

#142183 - 07/30/08 03:55 AM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: Fitzoid]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: Fitzoid
A couple of random thoughts:

2) I've never had a problem with a fenix or a surefire. I don't know if I believe the fenixes are anodized as claimed, as the paint comes off where they get dinged. The surefires just get dings.

Just to be the exception to the rule, I had a Fenix conk out on me, apparently bad electronics or a lost connection to the LED somehow. Which isn't a ding on Fenix, they're my main flashlight, I love their LED AAs for light and reliability.

If you sincerely want mission critical, carry two, or three. I'd never put me or my 'mission' in the hands of a single bit of electronics.

Ditto on losing flashlights in the dark - I have a glow in the dark tail ring on one that countycomm once sold for Fenix flashlights, on the other I just ran some yellow electrical tape around the middle, it helps to make it more visible in the dark or in my carry bag.

#142205 - 07/30/08 12:12 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: Fitzoid]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The manufacturers specification for the Aurora is listed as follows on the Deal Extreme Website;

Quote:
- Mode: Aurora AK-P7-3
- Features a Seoul Semiconductors SSC P7 (C-bin) high powered LED emitter
- Accepted input voltage: 7.4V ~ 17V