Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#142073 - 07/29/08 04:33 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: dweste]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: dweste
Most of the year the nearshore coastal water is high 40s and low 50s ala Mark Twain's "The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco." Thick wetsuits on surfers, divers, and kayakers.

Far south waters much warmer most of the year. Thin, partial, to no wetsuits on surfers, divers, and kayakers.

That seems cold, but it may very well be. I've never sailed on the U.S. west coast, but I know that the largest current is one bringing water south along the coast. Quite the opposite of the Gulf Stream, which warms the waters off the U.S. east coast, probably to about Cape Cod. (IIRC, both Coasts have currents that can run in many directions, both counter-currents off of the main currents and currents due to other factors, such as tidal currents.) My guess would be that the rivers on which wildman800 works vary a lot with time of year and weather conditions.

Having as little as two hours in waters of 70 degrees, I'd like to have the survival suit. I know one CAN survive in waters of 70 degrees for as long as 40 hours, without a Gumby suit, but I also know that you'd have more time in the suit. I want as much time as possible, if I am treading water hoping for rescue. Only your head is going to be above water, and a head is a very small thing in the middle of an ocean.

#142074 - 07/29/08 05:34 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: Dan_McI]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Ocean temps:

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/wtg12.html

I personally have measured water temps in the high 40s both in the San Joaquin Delta and nearshore when fishing during cold snaps. I have read similar accounts in kayaker and diver online forums.

Basically the Japanese Current flowing south makes this part of the West Coast very fertile from upwelling and very cold.

Edited by dweste (07/29/08 05:41 PM)

#142083 - 07/29/08 06:37 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: dweste]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
On the MacGregor (the other link is expired):

How many of you are there? I've sailed boats that size, and they're small. Two close people for a length of time would be my limit. If it's your bug out-bug in boat, what is the capacity for the toilet? I understand that concerns about fouling the bay with sewage wouldn't be a big concern if you're bugging in, but if you're tied up or anchored, surrounding the boat with your effluent could be unpleasant.

It's got an outboard motor and has a separate connection to charge the battery; those things fail from exposure to salt air and salt water. The owner refers to a lazareth, so I'd have questions about his capabilities as a sailor and maintainer of the boat. Needs minor repairs and he'll try to do them. :-> Uh, no thanks. Just discount the price.

I've never owned a boat - I always sailed a charter or with friends. I'm assured by those who own a boat that it's _very_ different owning one. I think having a boat as a bug out destination is a good idea in the San Francisco Bay Area if you have it in the water and can get to it without having to drive there (or it's a reasonably short drive with no collapsed overpasses on the way).

#142085 - 07/29/08 06:48 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: philip]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
phillip, thank you for your post.

At this time it is me and the cat.

The standard for these boats is a glorified porta-pottie that I intend to replace with a true marine head, holding tank, in-tank treatment system, and seacock release of what the literature assures me is EPA approved stuff. I will also set things up for the use of pump out stations.

I am hoping this will also allow the use of RV dump stations on land. One of the attractions of this particulat line of boats is their trailerability.

I intend to begin as a lievaboard so on normal days I am unlikely to be more than an hour or two away at most, and usually within a 20-minute drive or less on surface streets.

Everything on a boat may fail so I will set up maintenance checks and carry spares as I can afford to do so. A an official "hole in the water into which to throw money" boat upkeep will be ongoing.

Edited by dweste (07/29/08 06:50 PM)

#142090 - 07/29/08 07:11 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I guess it's no different than living in a Westfalia van...only a van with shot shocks that never stops bouncing wink

#142094 - 07/29/08 07:23 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: ]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Here is a interesting book y'all might want to read.

Adrift: Seventy-six Days Lost at Sea by Stephen Callahan
"Before The Perfect Storm, before In the Heart of the Sea, Steven Callahan's dramatic tale of survival at sea was on the New York Times bestseller list for more than thirty-six weeks. In some ways the model for the new wave of adventure books, Adrift is an undeniable seafaring classic, a riveting firsthand account by the only man known to have survived more than a month alone at sea, fighting for his life in an inflatable raft after his small sloop capsized only six days out. "Utterly absorbing" (Newsweek), Adrift is a must-have for any adventure library. "

#142095 - 07/29/08 07:32 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: Stu]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
IMHO, a 4 person life raft is the minimun you would want for 2 people. Make you have a "abandon ship" bag, well packed and withing easy reach (if not tied to) the life rafe. Go over the life raft gear several times, untill you are very familier with it.

#142098 - 07/29/08 07:54 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: wildman800]
librarian Offline

Loc: Conroe, Texas
When two of us are sailing offshore and taking turns at the helm and sleeping, the one on watch wears a safety harness and is tethered to the boat; we also have a swim ladder that can be deployed from in the water; also we trail a yellow nylon ski rope so hopefully if a person falls overboard, he can grab it as it goes by (nylon so it floats and won't foul the rudder or prop). We also have walkie talkies on so the guy at the helm can yell to the one below as needed! Sounds like overkill but one of us seems to take an unintentional swim on occasion blush

#142099 - 07/29/08 08:12 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: librarian]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Do you recommend water activated PFD's or is their a problem with inadvertent inflation?

#142101 - 07/29/08 08:31 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: librarian]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: librarian
When two of us are sailing offshore and taking turns at the helm and sleeping, the one on watch wears a safety harness and is tethered to the boat; we also have a swim ladder that can be deployed from in the water; also we trail a yellow nylon ski rope so hopefully if a person falls overboard, he can grab it as it goes by (nylon so it floats and won't foul the rudder or prop). We also have walkie talkies on so the guy at the helm can yell to the one below as needed! Sounds like overkill but one of us seems to take an unintentional swim on occasion blush

Sounds like being prudent to me, not overkill. And it seems to have worked if you are all still around after taking some unintentional swims.

The line you mention is probably polypropylene not nylon. Polypro floats and is often used as ski line. See: http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/21.htm

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.