The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#141988 - 07/29/08 02:37 AM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: BobS]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
This just feels like a forum where we should have some guy named "Barnacle_Bob."

#141989 - 07/29/08 02:47 AM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: BobS]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Rule number one of the rules of the road.

If it is bigger than you it's got the right of way.

Sure under some circumstances the rules may say you are the one with the right of way. But size difference is a matter of physics not law. If you go head to head with something the size of a tanker you will lose.

When I was on a sub we were coming into port. Some idiot in a sailboat decided to claim right of way. Well a warship always has the right of way. But besides that we could not have maneuvered well enough or stopped fast enough. He finally realized he would lose and veered off. If he had not he would have been run over.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#141990 - 07/29/08 02:47 AM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: Fitzoid]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
Not "Barnacle Bill"?

#141991 - 07/29/08 02:51 AM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: nurit]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Ooops, did I type "Bob?"

I meant "Bill."

Who the hell ever heard of a "Barnacle Bob?" Must be some wannabe who hijacked my computer.

#141992 - 07/29/08 02:58 AM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: Raspy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
What you were trying to quote is: "The Law of Gross Tonnage"!

Sorry to disagree, a warship does not always have the right of way. This is a fable told by those in the Navy who interpret the Rules in their favor. It causes problems.

I really want to find those sailboat salesman that keep telling their clients that, "Sailboats always have the Right of Way", WRONG!

Check the Rules of the Road concerning "Right of Way Heirarchy". It explains who has the Right of Way under what circumstances.

I also want to get my hands around the throats of those VHF-FM radio salesman that tell people that the radio only works on the "High Power" setting.

I also want to get my hands around the throats of those fisherman who have immigrated to the states (after 1975) that believe they have to "sing to the shrimp" on Ch 16 VHF-FM, on HIGH POWER, in order to draw the shrimp to them to be caught!!!

I'll get off my soapbox now. Thank-you.
Another Licensed Captain of the Inland, Western Rivers, and Great Lakes Waterways.

Edited by wildman800 (07/29/08 02:59 AM)

#142006 - 07/29/08 04:28 AM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: wildman800]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: wildman800
Thanks a lot DWeste!

Now I'm looking at sailboats again, like I would ever have the time to use one!!!

You have relit the fever. Now I've got to undergo a very long bath with massive amounts of ice poured in.

You know, I enjoy posts by wildman800 even when they are a little bit scary - no, especially when they are a little bit scary!

But I know what you mean. I sailed small boats a lot growing up. Then I owned and ran a series of small powerboats. I think power boats are often practical, but there's something about sailing that just seems right.

It's kind of like golf: playing from a powered cart is convenient and fun enough, but I always connect with the game better when I walk.

#142019 - 07/29/08 12:29 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: wildman800]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
As for military always having the right of way: What happens when a sub returning to Norfolk at night collides with a low lying barge under tow that was extremely difficult to see?

A: The CO loses his job and is replaced. I'm not sure a board of inquiry even recognizes "The Law of Gross Tonnage".

#142024 - 07/29/08 01:11 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
[quote=wildman800]at 250 miles offshore, I'd want a quality offshore life raft, as well as good PFDs for the entire crew. As for GPS, at least two with plenty of spare batteries.

Oh, and an EPIRB with PLB backup

I'd make darn sure that I added a survival or "Gumby" suit for everyone on board to that list, if I was that far off shore. A PFD is fine to keep you afloat, but it's not going to do much to save you from hypothermia. Water temperatures near San Francisco are probably well below 70 degrees fahrenheit, right now. Water temperatures around Nantucket are about 70 now. At a water temp of 70, you may have as little as 2 hours before you are unconscious or totally exhausted. You are unlikely to survive two days at that temperature in a PFD.

I worked on tugs that were mostly in brown water, rarely went into areas that were not considered Inland waters under the Rules of the Road, hardly ever left sight of land, and I cannot recall ever getting as much as 20 miles offshore. We always had Gumby suits on board.

#142039 - 07/29/08 01:57 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: dweste]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
You guys are starting to make me miss the days when I used to go sailing with my grandfather!

#142044 - 07/29/08 02:15 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: Nicodemus]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Power boat skippers often have a kill switch lanyard clipped to them that shuts off the motor if they fall overboard [or forget and just step away from the helm]. This means the boat may be close enough for a solo skipper overboard to self-rescue, and it certainly announces the man overboard to any crew so they can do a rescue.

Any sailboat equivalent?

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.