Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#141966 - 07/29/08 12:33 AM Re: Coleman Peak 1 Mini stove- did I oops? [Re: ironraven]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I think over all these types of stoves could be considered to have the 'least futzing' off all the types you can commonly buy.

If you want a stove you can just light and start cooking on, you've got a good one.

#141967 - 07/29/08 12:34 AM Re: Coleman Peak 1 Mini stove- did I oops? [Re: ironraven]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
A bit more info:

Boiling Point (will not vaporize below this temperature):
Propane -42.1 C (-43.8 F)
Butane -0.5 C (31 F)
Isobutane -11.7 C (11 F)

#141968 - 07/29/08 12:35 AM Re: Coleman Peak 1 Mini stove- did I oops? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Damn Jim do you ever read posts before you reply? wink

I already posted that LOL.

#141969 - 07/29/08 12:39 AM Re: Coleman Peak 1 Mini stove- did I oops? [Re: AyersTG]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: AyersTG
Brunton sells a nifty little fold-out leg gadget that snaps onto both standard cannister sizes - makes the stove more stable. I picked one up at a Cabela's recently at a bargain price (on sale) to give to a friend who uses a conventional cannister stove simliar to the Peak 1.
One note on the Brunton can stand: it doesn't fit the small size Snow Peak or Jet Boil brand canisters. However, the Jet Boil can stand does fit the small size Snow Peak and Jet Boil brand canisters.

#141970 - 07/29/08 12:42 AM Re: Coleman Peak 1 Mini stove- did I oops? [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Damn Jim do you ever read posts before you reply? wink

I already posted that LOL.
A lot of the time, a post will come in while I'm typing. blush Great minds think alike?

A least all of our posts generally agree on the facts...

#141971 - 07/29/08 12:45 AM Re: Coleman Peak 1 Mini stove- did I oops? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

True!

I'd rather have the right answer twice than the wrong one once.

#141972 - 07/29/08 12:56 AM Re: Coleman Peak 1 Mini stove- did I oops? [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

#141974 - 07/29/08 01:08 AM Re: Coleman Peak 1 Mini stove- did I oops? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Damn again Jim!

That's the same page I was reading when I decided to post the temperatures hahaha.

the zenstoves website is also a great source of info on canister stoves.

#141975 - 07/29/08 01:13 AM Re: Coleman Peak 1 Mini stove- did I oops? [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Damn again Jim!

That's the same page I was reading when I decided to post the temperatures hahaha.
lol. Told ya. Great minds think alike.

the zenstoves website is also a great source of info on canister stoves.
Yes, it is, isn't it?

Now, something that is based on personal experience rather than a website: one real drawback to simple canister stoves is wind. Since there is no wind screen, they are susceptible to significant wind. They can blow out, but what occurs more commonly is that you lose a lot of efficiency and wind up using a lot more fuel to do a given amount of heating. Yes, I am aware that in this case were talking about a stove to be stored in someone's car kit, but if one were to go camping/backpacking and significant inclement wx were predicted, a canister stove might not be your best choice. A white gas stove which has no problem with a wind screen might be a better choice, although wind screen or no it too will be affected. There are some really pricey newfangled stoves out there (Jet Boil, MSR Reactor, etc.) that handle wind well if that's a feature that you need for what you like to do. Just something else to factor into the equation.

#141977 - 07/29/08 01:44 AM Re: Coleman Peak 1 Mini stove- did I oops? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

A windscreen will make any stove more efficient. I've heard that using a snug fitting wind screen with this type of stove can overheat the canister but I've never found that to be true...but then it's rarely super hot where I live.

The canister stoves with remote canisters circumvent this and also work better in the cold because you can flip the canister upside down. The fuel is then vaporized in a section of the inlet piping which flows over top of the burner. I have a Trangia burner I got from a friend (he thought it was too much work and bulky to use with his Trangia 25 kit) made by Optimus which is top quality. I've been trying to figure out a way to adapt it to work with the stove in my Crusader kit so I can use more types of fuel with the same kit but it's just too big to fit inside. Unfortunately it can't be used on it's own as it has no stand and no pot holder.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 389 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.